65 Biscayne

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before spending a ton of money on body rust fixes, check the frame right behind each rear wheel. There are holes to access the frame mounts there that allow the frame to fill with wet dirt and road salt thrown up off the rear tires. if rusted back there the rear of the frame may fall off!!!

Oh lord that doesn't sound good!!!!! Will check that ASAP!!! Thanks for the heads up. If it is rusted can it be welded or braced??

anything can be repaired if you have the time, money, and skills to do it.

you probably would have to take the body off the frame to do an A-one job of it.

with the body off the frame, it would be a great time to update the rear suspension arm mounts to big block car specs in anticipation of the BBC install.

Cool! Thanks for the pointers. I'll check the frame first thing tomorrow and post my findings about the frame. Then decide from there on the approach! Gonna try to get this old motor running on my off days just so I can move the car around so everyone keep their fingers crossed on that one. Then it's on to the floors...probably gonna go with 18 or 16 gauge sheet metal for that.

Nice Score

Sweet Score....

I looked at a 69 like that.. well it wasn't that nice and you could see through the trunk, doors and floor... oh and the hood, so yeah I think you got a good deal! :D

Thanks man! Hearing from you guys I'm starting to feel that I didn't make a mistake! Whew so glad I didn't waste my money! This being my first project car it has me worried but I went to school for auto body repair so hopefully I can get her straight lol!

Here are a few pics of the frame and under carriage behind the rear tires. I checked those spots and there is rust all down the frame but looks like all surface stuff with no hole or pitting!

Attachments

• 2014-08-13 12.13.25.jpg
    2014-08-13 12.13.25.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a good start. [cl I'm doing a 71 el camino and the floors were worse than your's . i would suggest a body off, it's not that much work and you can clean in inspect every, get the chassis safe and reliable (think daughters) [;) then work on the body. as sam said, it's a driver body wise now.
and my last suggestion, that inline six will serve you well for a long time.
MHO
have fun, that,s what projects are about, and get you girls involved, mine learned how to weld on the floor replacements. [cl

Latest posts

Back