Cheap alternative to Dynamat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although not at that stage yet.....the info is appreciated & I will be dropping by Lowes for this product.

Ratty 46

Just put some on the firewall today. I don't see any problem with it. In most of the cars I've done restorations the OEM sound deadener on the floors have all been an asphalt/tar based product. Some of it you had to heat up witha heat gun or torch to get it to stick. Never had any odor problems with any of those. This is much easier to apply.

007-18.jpg

I did the home made lizzard skin using an elastomeric roofing paint from Home Depot and microbeads from Wicks Aircraft Supply. Mixed up 2 gallons of paint with 2 bags of beads for a total of just less than $60. Painted it on with a roller and a brush in the hard to reach areas of the floors, firewall, kick panels, and doors (including up inside the door). Then I covered the firewall, kick panels and inside the doors with 4 rolls of peel and seal. Covered the floors with an insulation I bought from JC Whitney that is like a carpet pad on one side with an aluminum film on the other. The Whitney insulation was on sale for $10 (normally $30) and I bought 4 rolls.

Still need to remove the headliner and paint the roof with the home made lizzard skin then will cover with the Whitney insulation and reinstall the headliner. Even without the roof being done there is already a huge difference in both the temperature and sound level in the car. With the paint/peel and seal in the doors they sound much more substantial when they close not like a tin can anymore.

The peel and seal went through an entire Dallas summer in the upper 90's to low 100's with only 2 pieces coming loose. Even those 2 pieces didn't fall off, were just a little loose and I was able to stick them back down with no further problems. I also did not notice any odor from the peel and seal.

Totally worth the $150 and couple of days I spent doing the work. I would suggest it to anyone who drives their car a lot. Mine is my daily and this summer was so much more enjoyable than last. :cool:

The aircraft beads are like tiny ceramic balloons. When they are mixed with the paint they offer insulation due to the trapped air in the balloons. It works along the same principal as a storm window. The air trapped between the storm window and the casement window insulates.

4243_d.jpg

There was a good discussion of this on the HAMB and test results posted by 63ChevyII starting on page 5 of this thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51399&highlight=home+depot+insulation&page=5

He did testing with a digital thermometer for the homemade lizzard skin, peel and seal, reflectix and combinations of the materials. He just used latex paint from the Home Depot oops pile so very cheap. I used the elastomeric paint because it is kind of rubbery when dry so should offer some sound/rattle insulation. At least that is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

--WARNING-- if you make your own lizzard skin, be sure to wear a respirator or at least a dust mask when you work with the micro beads mixing them in the paint. Even when you open the box for the first time. These are so small and light weight that they scatter very easily and you do not want them in your lungs!!!!!!! Being a ceramic like material once in your lungs they are going to stay there and will not decompose.--WARNING--

I'm glad some of you found this tech interesting. I been using this stuff in all my cars and I'm getting ready to do my 49 plymouth in a few weeks. I also found out that you can order the peel & seal in a lot wider rolls. It's a little harder to work with but for big flat floors it make short work of 'em:D.

I LOVED the article..>!!

MAN,what a GREAT article..!!! I think it is one,or close to,the best of RRR postings..!! Off to Lowes..!!

Great post on this stuff. I just stumbled across your post on it and forwarded it to several of my friends. I just picked up a couple rolls tonight and put a roll of if on the roof of my '56 Chevy. One roll just covered the front passenger compartment. Basically it's going to take two rolls for the roof. I can't wait until tomorrow to see how well it works. It just got to dark to start the back or the roof.

Thanks, Keith

There are at least two types of Micro Balloons.
One is Ceramic, the other is Phenolic, IIRC.

I'm sure there is an important difference between them;
if you work for NASA.

For us peasants, both should work fine for faux Lizard Skin..

The aircraft beads are like tiny ceramic balloons. When they are mixed with the paint they offer insulation due to the trapped air in the balloons. It works along the same principal as a storm window. The air trapped between the storm window and the casement window insulates.

4243_d.jpg

There was a good discussion of this on the HAMB and test results posted by 63ChevyII starting on page 5 of this thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51399&highlight=home+depot+insulation&page=5

He did testing with a digital thermometer for the homemade lizzard skin, peel and seal, reflectix and combinations of the materials. He just used latex paint from the Home Depot oops pile so very cheap. I used the elastomeric paint because it is kind of rubbery when dry so should offer some sound/rattle insulation. At least that is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

--WARNING-- if you make your own lizzard skin, be sure to wear a respirator or at least a dust mask when you work with the micro beads mixing them in the paint. Even when you open the box for the first time. These are so small and light weight that they scatter very easily and you do not want them in your lungs!!!!!!! Being a ceramic like material once in your lungs they are going to stay there and will not decompose.--WARNING--

I've been putting off insulating my 58 because of price but I will be trying this out real soon thanks for the post.

Damn it ta......

Man a freakn day late, I just spent WAY to much money on Dynomat....after readying this I ran up to Lowells to get a roll and you are 100% write the prices dif its way better! I quess I should have came here first :(

Latest posts

Back