dummy engine blockCa

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrys47merc

Can not afford plastic block for mockup, so I will attempt to build my own. I will keep everyone updated on progress.

I've been toying with the same idea. Thought about making the block to scale out of cardboard and using a wood inner frame for the hard points. The threaded holes for mounts etc. could be those steel blind nuts used in the wood working field. Once it was done, fill it up with some of the spray foam insulation. Makes it solid, light, and has the mounting hole where you need them. Suppose it could be done with blue foam and Gorilla glue also. Gorilla glue won't attack the foam and melt it away. Haven't tried anything yet, still just tossing it around.

I thought about just cutting out all the webs in the block, lifter valley etc. Core out the center of some junk heads but I think I would only get a SBC down to about 250 lbs...[S

If you do as few as 2 engine mockups a year, the foam long blocks only cost $350 to $450 and they are well worth the investment.
As far as the trannys go, an empty powerglide, 350 turbo or any other aluminum cased tranny works well.

another option is to look around for a store display block. They are plastic, much thinner than the mock up block and the threaded inserts will fall out pretty quick. But on the flip side I scored one at a swap meet for $50 and it lasted me for 5 years before disintigrating.

me too .. im like y'all cant really afford a real mock-up I dont do that many builds but in the last year I could have used it twice now. going to need it again hear in a few months ... come -- on- - Ideas whats every on using thats not a real mock-up that works and dont weigh a ton

I just use one of the many horded motors I have kicking around - LS1, SBC, BBC, cad 500...etc

Same for transmissions - TH350, TH400, 700R4/4L60E, 4L80E, SM465, BW T10 [cl

Empty block and trans case....easy peasy....

and most of us have them lying around...lol....OK....have we all started to whimp out?? I'm old and still can sling a bare block around enough to put it between some frame rails...but the engine hoist is easier.... :D

A fat cripply guy can still chuck a bare block, small or big (so I've heard) and an empty trans case weighs less than a case of beer. (Again, according to legend.)

Regardless, I'll be watching and waiting to see what you come up with henrys...

Pretty easy to make a mock-up block. I built a frame outta 1"x2" strapping and joined it together with my air powered brad nailer. Then I cut pieces of cardboard and attached them with my air powered stapler. Took about an hour. Thing weighs like 5 lbs.

got any pic's ??

Pretty easy to make a mock-up block. I built a frame outta 1"x2" strapping and joined it together with my air powered brad nailer. Then I cut pieces of cardboard and attached them with my air powered stapler. Took about an hour. Thing weighs like 5 lbs.

Sound pretty easy....how does it hold up? How do you attach anything? Just curious...sounds like something I could handle.....:D

I'm also curious 2.3.

I'd want exact proportions and dead-nuts accuracy. Not to criticize, just wondering how some sticks and cardboard can provide necessary precision...

Mock up engine

Don't know how much it weights, I use a gutted sbc(gutted to outer shell). Put block in then install bare heads, intake, and pan.

mockup block

Boy did I open up a can of worms? At least I see that everyone still know to put their thinking caps on.

I'm also curious 2.3.

I'd want exact proportions and dead-nuts accuracy. Not to criticize, just wondering how some sticks and cardboard can provide necessary precision...

why such precision? you are just looking for where the big pieces are going to take up space?..as long as the heads have room , the back of the engine isn,t touching the firewall,and the steering has room to go around the exahust you should be good with a real engine:rolleyes:

why such precision? you are just looking for where the big pieces are going to take up space?..as long as the heads have room , the back of the engine isn,t touching the firewall,and the steering has room to go around the exahust you should be good with a real engine:rolleyes:

No offense 30sx, but I'd like to place a block and know it's right in every way. A mock-up block (in my mind) should fit properly and place everything attached without question... otherwise, I see it as an exercise in futility...

Have to agree Doc....

No offense 30sx, but I'd like to place a block and know it's right in every way. A mock-up block (in my mind) should fit properly and place everything attached without question... otherwise, I see it as an exercise in futility...

How many times have you eyeballed something and figured "no sweat" and then had to re-do what you thought was OK.....you do that a few times and you get gun shy real quick...

I thought I had it all covered on my '47 Dodge and I had the actual engine I was using. Then I changed out the distributor and the new one was 1 1/2" taller and now I have to cut the firewall again for clearance.

You need to be as precise as possible and it can still bite you in the back side.
JMHO. Take it for what it's worth, it didn't cost you anything.

Latest posts

Back