Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Muscle cars

Muscle cars Ok... admit it!!! You know there's a muscle car sittin' next to that rat rod in u're garage! Fess up & let's see it!!!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It's going to be carbureted. I have an Edelbrock intake and 600 cfm Edelbrock carb for it already. I may have to put a 3 inch fiberglass hood on it to clear the air cleaner though, but that is ok.

The 351 I have is a roller cam motor, so I will probably go with the same X303 Ford Racing cam I am running in the 27. Nice lumpy cam and it pulls hard through the entire rpm range. I am going to put some aluminum heads on it and roller rockers.

I agree that the 5 speed would be the best, and the pedals are already in there for it. The car came with a Hurst shifter, so I will try to use that with the new transmission, if possible.

Don
Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

So that I wouldn't be tempted to work on the Mustang until the rpu is done, last night I pulled off the Cobra rims, put old roller tires on it, and covered it up with a car cover. I figure it should take me at least a few more months to do the rpu, then I can begin on this one.

One good thing about these Mustangs, EVERY little part is available at a bunch of places, so I should have no trouble getting it done. Information is a little vague on getting the 351 in there, but we can figure that one out.

Thanks for all the nice words and help, guys.

Don
Old 05-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Tonight I was looking on Craigslist and found a 2004 Mustang GT for sale. It was wrecked, but the drivetrain and other parts I need to convert mine were fine. I went out and bought it. It will be so much easier than converting the 351 to fit in mine, everything will bolt right in. It's also a 5 speed car, like my 2000, and I bet there are some deeper gears in the rear.

It has a lot of aftermarket parts on it, like a polished throttle body, frame connectors, underdrive pulleys, a stainless steel Magnaflow exhaust system, Shelby wheels and a Saleen wing, lowering springs, and stuff like that. It also has a really nice leather interior, so I can swap mine out. We ran the motor and it runs great, sounds great, and the AC blows cold. Only has about 89,000 miles on it.

We are picking it up tomorrow night.

Don

Last edited by donsrods; 05-25-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looks like it would be easy to fix. Fender , hood, bumper + assorted brackets and it would be ready to go. Is it a 5.0 or 4.6?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
Tonight I was looking on Craigslist and found a 2004 Mustang GT for sale.

We are picking it up tomorrow night.
That is exactly why I stay off CL & daBay on Fri nite after having a few... haha!!!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!

Last edited by RRR Mod; 05-25-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

Thumbs up Nice ....

Just don't get real excited about Mustangs..or Fords in general...but if it's going to make your life easier....that's a good thing...
Old 05-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Looks like it would be easy to fix. Fender , hood, bumper + assorted brackets and it would be ready to go. Is it a 5.0 or 4.6?
It's hit pretty good, a body shop quoted the guy $ 5600 to fix it, so it was totaled by the insurance company. None of the stuff I need was touched though, so I can use all of the good stuff.

Bob, I know what you mean about a few cold beers and Craigslist or Ebay ! I had just one beer before I found that one last night, but it did make the decision to buy a little easier.

Here is why it was totaled: (the front subframe is bent). Were taking the dolly out tonight to pick it up.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Dan and I borrowed Don's tow dolly tonight and got it home. That driver's side front tire is driven right back until it touches the fender. We were able to drive it onto the dolly, but it took some doing. In looking at the very round indent on the front fender, I am pretty sure the guy hit a telephone pole. It is about the right size and shape.

We got a chance to climb under and over it and there are some good high performance parts on it like upper and lower control arms on the rear and Eibach lowering springs all around. So far it looks like about $2000 in aftermarket parts that we can see.

I really know very little about these newer Mustangs with computers and fuel injection, but since it will be my daily driver some day, all that should make it more dependable and fun to drive.

Don
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm glad you found a fuel injected donor for your car. The combination of the parts on the two cars is going to make you one awesome driver!

I'm not a fan of Fuel Injection in hot rods, but for some reason I prefer fuel injected modern cars to stay fuel injected

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
It's hit pretty good, a body shop quoted the guy $ 5600 to fix it, so it was totaled by the insurance company.....
Here is why it was totaled: (the front subframe is bent). Were taking the dolly out tonight to pick it up.

Yeah, when the subframe gets bent like that they usually total one now days. A friend of mine has one that his Dad spun out on ice in Atlanta a few years back, he only had liability so he parked it. My Bud got it from his Dad, had a frame shop straighten the sub rails that bent when he hit the guard rail, and he's been driving it for a year or two now.