Industrial sewing machine - Singer 111w151

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

I guess this is considered a tool - anybody else have a Singer 111w151? I can find very little about the machine - I think it was military issue as it had a number written on it in military green (that came off when I cleaned the machine unfortunately). Singer has NO info on the machine (I emailed them and they couldn't date it). Anyhow, just hoping to find someone else with the same machine to help me get to know the machine.

It is a FAST machine. I extended the clutch arm and that slowed it down ever so slightly. I am ordering a smaller diameter pulley for the motor - if that doesn't work, I might have to consider a servo motor for it. I want to be able to do precise work - and that means SLOW! I have been sewing for 35 years and that is the fastest sewing machine I have ever tried, kinda intimidating! I have never owned an industrial machine though. It does sew very smooth though, it seems like a great machine.

I did notice that it is missing one of the oiler thingies - I don't know what to call them to see if I can get a new one. It is like a little spring-loaded ball bearing on the deck of the machine that you put oil in - one is missing the ball-bearing. Anybody know what it's called?

I got it because I realized that even though my home machine did a great job quilting the headliner for our Diamond T, it was not up to the task of stitching the headliner to the panelboard - so I haven't been able to install the headliner yet. I tried my vintage Singer 15-40 as well (and it wasn't up to it either even though it does leather). When I found this 111 on Craigslist, it had to come home with me. I think I did good, got it for $200

Sweet! [clYes, it is definitely a tool.

The ball baring thingy is a check valve. If you can't find one, you might get away with just covering it with some tape to prevent it from leaking on your work. Assuming that is an issue.

Likely stating the obvious, but have you looked at Singer forums, or upholstery forums yet?

Good luck with your new tool. :D

You may be able to adapt a foot switch with a reostat to that singer, then you can adjust speed as you go.

That machine is always going to be too fast for what you are wanting to do because, the table has a clutch driven output shaft and runs at the speed of the electric motor (most likely 3450 rpm) unless you drag the clutch which will eventually ruin it.
You won't be able to get a small enough pulley to compensate.
We have a Union Special that has the same table, that's how I know this.
If you get a small sewing machine motor and foot pedal then you will be able to run it at any speed you're comfortable with.

Here's what Mr google had to say about it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Singer+111w151&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

nwtarp.blogspot.com/2012/10/blog-post.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DPLtqpRds

https://www.ebay.com › ... › Textile & Apparel Equipment › Sewing Machines

leatherworker.net › Fabrication › Leather Sewing Machines

yup, been doing the google thang - watched that video 3x's and read that article twice haha. Not a lot more out there in google land on the machine!

That machine is always going to be too fast for what you are wanting to do because, the table has a clutch driven output shaft and runs at the speed of the electric motor (most likely 3450 rpm) unless you drag the clutch which will eventually ruin it.
You won't be able to get a small enough pulley to compensate.
We have a Union Special that has the same table, that's how I know this.
If you get a small sewing machine motor and foot pedal then you will be able to run it at any speed you're comfortable with.

Ah, makes sense. I probably will be looking into re-powering it in the near future then. I am going to still try the smaller pulley to get me by.... as I have NO idea about putting a different motor in this thing, that will take some research!

That being said - do you know what HP motor I should be looking into if I want to use this for upholstery?

At 1.38 in this video the fella tells ya what motor unit and speed to buy.
At the 8 minute mark he demos the speed

A jack shaft will work too.
490979d1410350028-machine553_12.jpg

At 1.38 in this video the fella tells ya what motor unit and speed to buy.
At the 8 minute mark he demos the speed

which video is that Old Iron? I was thinking about going with the Reliable SewQuiet 6000 ''servo'' motor, but I can't afford it until after Christmas probably. Unless I sell a quilt or something big between now and then haha

A jack shaft will work too.
490979d1410350028-machine553_12.jpg

hmmm, I kinda like this idea. A lot cheaper than a new motor and probably pretty easy to set up. I will probably still go with a servo motor in the future, but maybe this will help me get by and get that headliner finish stitched at least....

I just put a servo motor on my Consew 206RB1 Made a huge difference in slow control. the servo motor has the same size pulley as the machine and I will look for a small motor pulley to really slow it down for very fine control.

I have an antique Singer 29K treadle and it will go as slow as you can go.

Latest posts

Back