fuseable link

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
Wiring my jalopy project with a kit from ebay [cheap 23 circuit]. There is instructions with it but not a lot of help but it does say if I don't use the fuseable link there is no warranty. To be honest I have never used a fuseable link on previous projects because my thinking is the link only protects the main feed to the fuse block. All circuits have individual fuses to protect them. The instructions don't tell me where the link should be installed and it isn't identified, I assume the little black wire with ring terminal is probably the fuseable link. The picture of the insulated stud is where I will attach the battery positive cable, the red #8 wire is the main feed to the fuse block. So..should I use the link and where is best place for it.

Attachments

• fusable link 001 (Small).jpg
    fusable link 001 (Small).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 27
  • fusable link 002 (Small).jpg
    fusable link 002 (Small).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 24
  • fusable link 004 (Small).jpg
    fusable link 004 (Small).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
I prefer a maxi fuse! Easier to replace & you can buy a maxi fuse at nearly any car parts store! Install it inline between the starter and fuse box in the main power line. I usually put it on my steering column under the dash so it's easy to check &/or change!

BoB

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 9
using a fusable link will get you caught out somewhere with your pants down.
Do what Tripper suggested or don't use one at all.

I like Trippers idea of installing it on the heavy hot wire at the starter if it is convienient if it isn't you can put it at the positive terminal of the battery before the main harness.

I also like the idea of putting a main shut off switch in the negative line so you can shut of all power in case of a problem and also for an anti theft device. it also elliminates any draw if the car sits for long periods of time.

Ideally you want a fuse or link as close to power source (bat) as possible to protect the wiring.It maybe convenient to put it in the cab but if the wire chafes on the firewall or something it won't help the wire from glowing red hot.

I also like the idea of putting a main shut off switch in the negative line so you can shut of all power in case of a problem and also for an anti theft device. it also elliminates any draw if the car sits for long periods of time.

I do that too & always turn the power off when I'm away from the car!

BoB

i used a master disconnect at the bat neg side , fuseable link to a breaker hot side to key, load side to a relay turn key on it pulls in relay energizing fuse block probably wrong but I know many big rigs wired this way

Latest posts

Back