drill bit sharpener

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 2 different Drill Doctors and couldn't get either one to sharpen a bit that would cut hot butter. I sharpen all mine by hand.

I had 2 different Drill Doctors and couldn't get either one to sharpen a bit that would cut hot butter. I sharpen all mine by hand.

I do the same, my dad taught me to do it that way. I have never had good results with a drill bit sharpener.

Me three. My father was a millwright, so I've done them his way since I was a kid.

It's not rocket surgery, just takes some practice...

Same here - by hand. One of the first lessons at trade school (millwright) was how to sharpen bits by hand. Once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard.

Me too, sharpen by hand. Small bits are harder.

No kidding. I used to be able to sharpen bits by hand, but now I can't see well enough to do the small ones anymore. I need to either set up a magnifying glass at the grinder, or get new glasses, or maybe both. Now it's really hit & miss on the small ones, and my eyes hurt from the eye strain by the time I finish, and then maybe the bit still won't cut at all.

(Glad you all mentioned that the drill bit sharpeners don't work well, because I was thinking of getting one, because of my poor eyesight.)

The video shows a bit being back cut that gives it a great cutting edge.
If you have a tendency to break the outer corners off the bit then after getting the cutting edge you want just roll the point of the bit down as you make the last swipe and it will leave more material behind the outer corners for strength.

FRESXJFIY4QFQXD.ANIMATED.LARGE.gif

FE3DEO0IY4QFS4N.LARGE.jpg

I've never had much luck trying to resharpen drill bits. They might do OK in soft wood, but wouldn't make a dent in steel. I just toss'em and go buy new ones. I bought a set of step bits from Harbor Freight, I'm impressed at how easily and fast they drill. Had never used that type before, I'm hooked now. Got a set of Bostitch twist bits if I need to go deeper than the step bits.

Long ago I also learned to sharpen drill bits by hand, but increasingly shaky hands and poorer eyesight led me to buy a Drill Doctor. I have sharpened many bits with the DD and have been very pleased with it. With very small bits, 3/32 or so, it does not always align perfectly and the bit will not cut. But another try typically gets it right. The DD has always worked perfectly for me with 3/16 -- 1/2" bits.

Two spirals are nice!

I will try that FBP. Thanks. C-Bob i am surprised that you had good results with the drill doctor. I did not get any improvement with the bits i tried to sharpen. So i will put on my reading glasses, find a strong light, have a couple of shots to steady my hands and wind up the grinder. Nothing to lose.
I love those step bits from HF too Bam. They drill very well for cheap.

If you'll spend a little more money, the Dewalt Cobalt Pilot Point bits are awesome.
I bought a set and will not go back to the cheaper bits.
A set of 29 runs from $85 to $110 on dabay or Amazon.
Very little force to get them to cut.

s-l500.jpg

99% of my drilling is with hand drills which wear out bits way faster than a press. I made the support structure for steering, pedals and gauges on the mono woody from 3x3x3/16" angle from a demo job years ago.
The pieces were used as door and window lintels and i didn't realize the metal is the poor grade recycle stuff like rebar is made from. Sometimes it drills easily and an inch over there may be some cast iron in the mix. Destroys new bits very quickly.
Hoping i can sharpen some of these old bits i was going to throw away well enough to get the last few holes i need.
When i do get new bits i will try those Dewalts on your recommendation OI.

Last edited:
How do you sharpen those, OI?

Just kidding, moving along!

When i do get new bits i will try those Dewalts on your recommendation OI.

LOL, Doc in a pinch I have sharpened a couple to get by till I could get a replacement. It can be done.

eman, you won't be disappointed. You know how your arm will start shaking when you're an arms length, above your head, from where you're drilling? These bits will eliminate almost all of that.

Latest posts

Back