Steering column with air bag

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAM-LDS-2

Has any body installed a late model steering column with an air bag in it or thought about doing it . So far my state , Delaware , has been pretty good concerning old cars . You can get an Antique tag or a street rod tag and never go thru inspection again-after the first and only one . However there are restrictions that go with these tags . Parades , shows and trips to a mechanic are all that's allowed . It is relatively easy to get away with some joy riding , however you are breaking the law when you do this . I do this my self occasionally so I am not pointing fingers here . My concern is , will my insurance company pay a really big claim -like a fatal accident-if I was driving illegally when it happened . I know , I know , I can hear you younger guys who are still bullet proof , saying this old fart is just a worry wort . Well you know , as you get older -if you have been even moderately successful - you have gathered up a lot of stuff and would be a good target to have every thing you worked so hard for taken away from you . So I was thinking just how hard would it really be to make my rods able to comply with what ever it takes to make my rods to be legal all the time - real legal - daily drivers . Not to mention , if I ever am in a bad crash , hope I am in my crew cab F-150 with air bags , -etc . Please , someone , tell me I am not soft in the head in my old age . Now I am not an "old Man " in spirit but I will be 77 in less than 2 months . What say you guys ?

Here's my 2 cents....
Insurance company WILL NOT pay if you are driving "Illegaly" and are envolved in an accident. Wether your fault or not.
I have never done it but I have seen it done by others. Installing an airbag can be done as long as you can install all of the necessary sensors, Computer stuff,ect...... Not an easy task.
In my former daily driver(1950 GMC panel) that was on a newer truck frame and suspension. My brother who built most of it installed a lap and shoulder restraint system.. The guy that bought the truck from me tested it fully when he clipped a 3/4 ton suburban in the rear quarter then drove off the road and hit a power pole nearly head on. He estimated his speed when he hit the suburan at 60 MPH.He totaled the panel but more or less walked away. Nuff said.
In regards to the plates. I personally have never registered any of my old cars with anything other than a standard everyday plate. Too many "cant's" go with the special plates. We won't even get into the issue of who will insure it without mileage limits. and "agreed value vs estimated value".
Torchie.

Insurance companies look for any way out of a claim. I would not risk it. Auto insurance is too cheap to end up in a mess like that. My two cents.

IAM, I agree with you that you should try to get the real car licence [tags]. Insurance companies will tell you they are in your corner and the really naïve believe this. It's a lie. They will try to weasel out of anything, through any loophole, so don't make it easier for them. Be as legal as you can. Maybe go to your registration office and ask them what you should do to upgrade. I have had to jump through some annoying hoops but have never had to get air bags. The double mechanical inspections annoyed me, but it was the governmentalism that was frustrating, not the inspections of brakes, lights, good glass, speedometer and steering. My truck passed both inspections easily. Anyhow, you might be O.K. with the hoops you have to jump through to get the big tags. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back