rods plans at build started and how they really end up when done

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
notice how much plans evolve or change when we plan a project?

l been reading some build threads and find it very interesting how this seems to happen a lot either due to money, changing technology, changing Priorities, health or time constraints.

the point in life the project was started to the time it is finished can take a long time and as we age/mature sometimes the dream has to be modified due to unforeseen things.

reading my own stuff it amazed me how much the ideas and the reality actually is.

the 48 dodge truck is fairly close but the 3OISH is way different than l originally intended and the street legal is going to be close to the plan but a few thing are gonna have to change to make it a real street car that l didn't think of when we started her.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Agreed Skull!
Seems like the only constant is change.
One of my favorite quotes....
"The best laid plans of mice and men. Off times go astray"

Torchie.

While I'm really happy with the overall look staying the same as I wanted all along, lot's of things have changed along the way. My basic concept was keep it simple and some of those changes have actually furthered the "simple" idea.

Skull, I agree with you about evolution and Torchie's, Robbie Burns quote fits right in. If I could add two more factors to your examples of change makers, I would like to. In my case, I learned something about me, I couldn't fix a door up eighty per cent and leave it so if you slammed it really hard a few times maybe it would stick, so I'm fussier than I thought. The second reason that my hotrod turned out slicker than I first dreamed was, a beat up '34 Dodge Brothers truck became available and it seemed like a better candidate for a rat.
Thanks Skull for making me think.

"In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable." - President Eisenhower.

If you don't have a plan, you won't know what you're changing.

My Olds stayed on plan, but I did decide against the section.

I am not going to get into another from scratch build.
It simply takes too long.
The next one will be a running vehicle that I mod to suit my taste.
The bottom line is
I'd rather be driving.[dr

When I look back on some of my old build threads, the car I end up with is usually very different from the car I started out to build. Part of it is that the car starts talking to you as you build it and it tells you how it wants to be. I also usually never end up with the color I had in mind when I started, I change my mind a lot on that as I go along. I never know what color it will REALLY be until I am in the paint store and ready to lay down some money.

But as you start adding parts to the car you get a better look at it and certain things will start to look better if you did something else instead of what you had in mind. Mainly though, I am just an indecisive person. :eek:

Don

Gee....I guess I'm a little different than you guys. when I start a project I have a complete picture in my mind, as the build progresses it becomes a closeup view to to guide me in each part made. for the most part it turns out just as I saw it.
one main factor is money, its the one thing I have no control over, I must work within a budget......I do make some changes but very few.

Definitely changes as you go due to things not fitting the vision, or not living up to the vision you had in your head when you came up with the idea... I'm definitely at that point on a couple things that just are not yet what I envisioned, but you sleep on it a while and the right answer comes eventually.... (wheel wells for one..)

Me too.

Like DougnDog said, I see it in my mind. I don't change much. I may find guages I want to use or when I am finishing a particular section, I may modify it a bit. But I try to stick close to the plan. I think when you vary from it that is how guys end up with more in a car than it's worth.

Just gotta make sure your plan is "cool". LOL:D:D:D

Lynn

When I look back on some of my old build threads, the car I end up with is usually very different from the car I started out to build. Part of it is that the car starts talking to you as you build it and it tells you how it wants to be. I also usually never end up with the color I had in mind when I started, I change my mind a lot on that as I go along. I never know what color it will REALLY be until I am in the paint store and ready to lay down some money.

But as you start adding parts to the car you get a better look at it and certain things will start to look better if you did something else instead of what you had in mind. Mainly though, I am just an indecisive person. :eek:

Don

That is a Socrates caliber quote.
BRAVO!!!

You said it Don. My wife is an artist and I can't begin to tell you how many times I have asked her what she was creating only to see the finished product and wonder why she changed her plans. He words echo Dons. Usually"This is what it told me it wanted to be"......
I have found that my best projects are the one that have grown somewhat organically like the one that I am currently working on. I saw it as one thing. It now has become somethng else.
One of my favourite artist quotes is attributed to Michaelangelo. When asked how he created those beautiful statues from a block of marble his response was something to the effect of. "I just chip away all of the marble that doesn't look like the statue."
There you have it........
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back