tire to body gap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demano

just looking for a general consenus about the gap of body to tire rear on a fenderless 1928 tudor sedan, i suppose it is personal preference but would sure like some opinions before i decide, thanks

sorry

i mean the inside edge of tire to outside edge of body this is what i have and can't decide if i like it or not

Attachments

• 2014-03-27 20.01.16.jpg
    2014-03-27 20.01.16.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 60
It looks a little wide to me with those wheels, but deep dish wheels are getting harder and harder to find. Be sure of the wheels you ARE going to use, not just rollers[ I made this mistake]. Just my $0.02

Hard to say from a pic of just one side, but looks as though it's about twice as much as you need. If you had wider tires and wheels that moved them in a bit, you could use what you have. Most guys try to find a Maverick rear or 57 Ford rear for Models A's. They seem to be the biggest choice for proper width.

If you can't find a narrower rear end you like, try finding wheels with a different back spacing. Maybe a little wider wheel with a deeper backspace to move the inside face of the wheel closer to the body, but keep the outside where it's at.
Just a thought.

If you've got steel rims, you might (*dunnno if you will) find someone to cut out the center of the rim and weld it up at the back spacing of your preference.
Just a thought.

Width

I ran my car for 3 years with only 1 inch between the tires and body, never ever hit or rubbed, and i do dive it hard, that being said. If you have the rear end mounted and ready to go just change the wheel to a wheel with more backspacing, If you are still building, then find another diff.
Google search ( Rear end width ) carnut will come up and it has a good chart.

Latest posts

Back