engine advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demano

hi all, i have a 1928 tudor sedan that i am starting to collect parts to rat together, so far i have the body,8.8 rear end that is a 3.27 limited slip out of a 2004 squad am going to build the frame from 2"x4"x3/16" wall tube, my first question is about the motor i was planning on getting a roller 351 windsor and building that with a c4 trans, but i do have a 1970 429 and c6 trans in the shed that i could build, since i have to build the frame is it feasable to use the 429 or is the added weight to much of an issue, have kind of priced out parts and not a huge difference, anybody have any advice for this newbie, thanks

I don't think the weight difference is significant enough to worry about it. Since you already have the 429 I'd build it and use it.

thanks

my concerns are, the tube size of the frame handling a big block and the 429 is a 1970 and i can't really afford a set of heads so would need hardened seats? will be getting aluminium intake and water pump if i go this route, as you said i have this motor and always wanted to use it for something like this, what do you think, thanks again

Go with the 429 for sure. The 70 models had the DOVE-C heads, which are probably the best stock heads you can go with. They flow much better than any of the 460 heads. Getting hardened seats is no big deal. Not that much more involved than a valve job. A few bucks more. Make sure the machine shop checks the guides. Mine were still in spec but I had new guides installed anyway. If you decide to do a little porting, I've got some good pics and instructions on where to grind and where to leave alone. Just message me and I'll get back with ya. Good luck.

Attachments

• 0701131753.jpg
    0701131753.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 9
The 2x4 will work. You just need to be spot on with the welds. Might consider some cage which will stiffen it up some. I like the big motor. Light car + big motor = hotrod.

Let us know your experience level.

seems like the 429 wins, i really would like to use this motor that my dad bought 33 years ago for a project he never got to do before he passed away, any advice on the frame tubing size and the front spring, would like to go suicide style and split my model a wishbones if they are strong enough for the engine size, also was looking at traditional steering. like to say again how much this newbie appreciates the info and knowledge given at this great site.

Does the 429 run? How much will you drive it? I have never rebuilt an engine for one of my cars. I just get ones that run good and use them. The 260 in my rpu was pulled from an 80,000 mile Fairlane that had sat for at least 15 years. I put new seals, gaskets and timing chain in it. Don't leak a drop and runs like stink. But I probably haven't put 2-3000 miles on it in 2 years. Maybe in a couple more years I'll yank it out, get some better heads and go through it.

Latest posts

Back