29,30,31, Model A Coupe, Roadster, Super Patina, Rat Rod Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got home from work today and got back at it.

First thing was to grind out all the rivets for the cross supports in the body and the seat riser. Then I removed the supports and the riser.

Then it was time for a test fit with the frame channeled through the body.

Not too bad, I'm diggin' it. Now I need to start making body mounts for the new body position. [;)

I got my rear axle hair pin mounting brackets and wish bone splitting kit in the mail yesterday, I should be able to make it a roller soon. :)

Thank you, Roadguy, for doing what I only dreamed of, but was scared to tackle. I also have a '30 roadster body that's rough around the bottom and needs to be lowered, [possibly channeled]. Lead on, Oh visionary, I will be watching.

Considering how bad this body is, I had little to loose by grabbing the cut off wheels and going for it. Thanks for the complement though. Stay tuned [P

I've been lurking and watching. Looks like you are doing a fine job with the resurrection. What is the frame you have? AA or BB heavy truck?[P

I was told it is an AA frame, it had a really heavy duty leaf spring pack on each side of the rear axle originally. It was already cut off before I got it though.

Last edited:
I picked up a mid 1940's straight axle front end last night, now I just need to figure out hore to convert it for a suicide axle set up.[ddd

OK, so here's what I have to work with...

This is the mid-1940's axle assembly I bought yesterday, that I'm planning to use the wish bones, shackles, spindles etc. from...

This is a nice clean, straight axle I got at a swap meet a few months ago, it measures about 6 inches from the kingpin to the wishbone mount hole. This is the axle I plan to use and I'm planning to reuse the shackle mounts that are on it as well, but I will probably mount them through the wishbones and do a behind the axle spring set-up.

This broke azz, bent/straight axle is going to provide me my initial leaf spring and possibly a few other linkage parts, but is otherwise junk.

Now I just have to do a LOT of disassembly work and modifying and badda bing, badda boom, I should have my "new" axle set up.

I'm undecided if I'm going to use the drum brakes or go to disc, I know a lot of people say disc is overkill and ugly, but it's my car and I like disc brakes. :p

Yes, I think I will need an upper streering arm for the left side, so I can run a corvair streering box.

ok, so i'm lookin' for some opinions here...

I have the front end about disassembled that I bought last weekend. It's a 37-48 truck front axle. I also have my 29 model A front axle. I'm wondering which is the better axle to run. The 37-48 axle has about a 2" factory drop, the 29' axle has a longer distance from the king pins to the wishbone mounts, so it'll turn better/tighter. What's the better way to go? I kinda thought the early axle was better, due to driveability and figured I can drop it with a spring anyway.

opinions ???[P

Latest posts

Back