Worthless cars

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killy_Killerton

I just saw the picture of the dodge hellcat today
Cool car... But worthless
How about the headline reads Dodge builds worthless product no-one will use
Sure it has financial value but as a car?
What's going on here? Our domestic automakers think they are Enzo?
C'mon guys build stuff normal people can afford to buy
Not pickup trucks the price of houses.
The banks are partly responsible for this mess or are they
I wonder who figgured out if they extended credit out from 3 years to 6 or more how much more they could get away with selling a car for.
I wonder how much of the price of any new vehicle results from government BS
If you can't build a hellcat cheap enough to sell at least 20,000 of them then what makes you think you deserve any of the recognition for building such a car at all?

i haven't liked any new cars since 76, and trucks since 87, so i won't even hardly look at em. that being said i do have a newer car and truck but really don't like either one they are more for the wife.

I agree. I hate all this new crap. And no way will I ever pay that for any car.

The only reason they can get stupid money for new cars is because idiots will sign on the line for them. Now insurance even has a whole new rider you have to buy called gap insurance to cover the difference between list price and what you own because half of those idiots are upside down in their cars at any given time. Of course the government is behind it, when they get us to spend more money that we haven't even earned yet, it falsely stimulates the economy. Same reason they make loans on new houses easy to get, new housing starts are one of the key economic indicators and they can point at that and convince some people it's all good. One day the bubble will pop and we'll all be living a pre ww2 standard where people had to work their buss off 70 hours a week to feed a family. I'll be ok but I'm afraid my daughter will never have the kind of life I did.

My 1947 Lincoln sold for around $2500 back then. In today's dollars, that's about $27,000. There is not a comparable Lincoln sold in that price range today, a comparable car to mine would probably be $50-60,000 or more. Think about that a moment. In 67 years, look how much value the dollar has lost. It's no wonder most people can't afford a new car or a house without buying it on credit, promising dollars they haven't even made yet.

I'll never buy a new car again unless I win a lottery or inherit a bunch of money. I doubt either will happen.:rolleyes:

According to the title, my 46 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door was $1,200.00 new.

And his neighbor was green with envy and told him. "I"ll never pay that for any car" and he was right inflation set in and by the mid 50s that same car was $3000. So now if the neighbor wants a new car he will pay more than double. It is a vicous cycle things just get more and more expensive all the time.

I remember my dad saying he would walk before he would buy gas for more than a $1.00 a gallon. Yep bought many a gallon for more than a buck, and never walked anywhere.

And his neighbor was green with envy and told him. "I"ll never pay that for any car" and he was right inflation set in and by the mid 50s that same car was $3000. So now if the neighbor wants a new car he will pay more than double. It is a vicous cycle things just get more and more expensive all the time.

I remember my dad saying he would walk before he would buy gas for more than a $1.00 a gallon. Yep bought many a gallon for more than a buck, and never walked anywhere.

My work place is just a quarter mile or so from home, so I can walk to work. Used to ride bike back & forth, but it makes problems for the prostate. I even walk everyday in the winter, but part of the reason is that there is not room on our yard for my work vehicle, anyway. (Self-employed, and do a lot of service calls.)

My 1947 Lincoln sold for around $2500 back then. In today's dollars, that's about $27,000. There is not a comparable Lincoln sold in that price range today, a comparable car to mine would probably be $50-60,000 or more. Think about that a moment. In 67 years, look how much value the dollar has lost. It's no wonder most people can't afford a new car or a house without buying it on credit, promising dollars they haven't even made yet.

I'll never buy a new car again unless I win a lottery or inherit a bunch of money. I doubt either will happen.:rolleyes:

That 47 Lincoln also didn't have any of the safety gear, fuel injection, brake and suspension technology, and had much less engineering put into it than modern cars. The prices are way higher because engineering, design, and manufacturing costs drive them that way. Your 47 Lincoln also would need a lot more work and assistance to get it to 200k miles, where today's cars should be able to do that a lot more easily. Just my 5 cents (no pennies in Canada anymore :p)

That 47 Lincoln also didn't have any of the safety gear, fuel injection, brake and suspension technology, and had much less engineering put into it than modern cars. The prices are way higher because engineering, design, and manufacturing costs drive them that way. Your 47 Lincoln also would need a lot more work and assistance to get it to 200k miles, where today's cars should be able to do that a lot more easily. Just my 5 cents (no pennies in Canada anymore :p)

Agreed snopro.
When I worked in the dealerships back in the 70's you NEVER saw cars with 100,000 miles on them let alone 200,00.
Yes todays cars are more expensive and yes thay are hader to work on if you DIYS. But they also last longer and drive much better.

As to the Hellcat. No different than the Viper or the Prowler. Or the 2 seat T-bird that Ford built a few years ago or the Hummer. Regardless of the economy or who's to blame there are always people that have that kind of disposable income. I'm just never one of them....[S
And the days of an "Affordable" car for the ordinary guy went up in smoke like a crashed Pinto a long time ago.
Just my 2 cents.(We still have pennies:D)
Torchie.

I just saw the picture of the dodge hellcat today
Cool car... But worthless
How about the headline reads Dodge builds worthless product no-one will use
Sure it has financial value but as a car?
What's going on here? Our domestic automakers think they are Enzo?
C'mon guys build stuff normal people can afford to buy
Not pickup trucks the price of houses.
The banks are partly responsible for this mess or are they
I wonder who figgured out if they extended credit out from 3 years to 6 or more how much more they could get away with selling a car for.
I wonder how much of the price of any new vehicle results from government BS
If you can't build a hellcat cheap enough to sell at least 20,000 of them then what makes you think you deserve any of the recognition for building such a car at all?

Around $85k and I think they'll sell like hotcakes.

Actually they start at $60,000 US. Fully loaded it's less than $68,000 US. While it isn't the most practical car, $68,000 is a lot less than you would have into a vintage muscle car to get the same reliability, comfort, performance, tunability, fuel economy, and handling. Not to mention that it comes with a factory warranty and will run 10's with drag radials.

If you don't find it a good value that's probably a good indication it wasn't directed at you. I almost want one because you can get ridiculous performance and good fuel economy for a decent price.

Agreed snopro.
When I worked in the dealerships back in the 70's you NEVER saw cars with 100,000 miles on them let alone 200,00.
Yes todays cars are more expensive and yes thay are hader to work on if you DIYS. But they also last longer and drive much better.

As to the Hellcat. No different than the Viper or the Prowler. Or the 2 seat T-bird that Ford built a few years ago or the Hummer. Regardless of the economy or who's to blame there are always people that have that kind of disposable income. I'm just never one of them....[S
And the days of an "Affordable" car for the ordinary guy went up in smoke like a crashed Pinto a long time ago.
Just my 2 cents.(We still have pennies:D)
Torchie.

Isn't it funny Torchie, these new vehicles will go a lot further in mileage, but they won't last 40+ years like our old iron has.

I agree with some of what you say. You have to remember, the safety stuff, the fuel injection and computers, and brake and suspension technology came about due to the US Govt making laws forcing automakers to change the way they did things, and in turn, it improved the product. No way to know if they would have done all these things on their own, but fuel injection was already in use by the 50's, albeit primitive mechanical systems. You have to think the automakers would have continued to improve their products, just maybe not as the faster pace the Govt required them to do it in.

As to the longevity of vehicles produced back then against now, yes, things have changed a lot. More is know about metallurgy, better, closer tolerances on machined surfaces, and improvements in plastics have all made a huge contribution to the longer life vehicles we have now. I disagree that they didn't have as much engineering in them back then though, they probably had as much engineering as was available at the time. They did pretty good with tables and slide rules since there were no computers yet to design things.

Lincoln had a lot of features standard that weren't even available on other cars at that time, like a vacuum operated power antenna, turn signals, power windows and power seats, and a trunk mounted brake light. It took some engineering to make all those things work.

I will agree that engines and running gears didn't last like they do now, but then again, people didn't drive the miles back then that they do now. A car back then had a life span of 5-10 years, just like now, only in that 5-10 year life span, it would only travel 50-75,000 miles. And another thing, a lot of that driving was done in harsh conditions, rutted, dusty gravel roads and in some cases, no roads other than bare dirt. They had to be engineered to handle all types of terrain, so they had to be tough. If they had of had our modern knowledge of metals and machine work, those vehicles would have lasted 300,000 miles.

Finally, on prices, yes, engineering, design, and manufacturing costs have increased, just like everything else has increased. Union labor is one of the largest reasons manufacturing costs went up, along with the before mentioned Govt regulations that increased costs substantially. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming union employees for getting more pay, everybody deserves more pay, but Civics 101 tells you when you pay out more, you have to recoup that somewhere, and it is recouped in higher product prices. Same as the engineering costs and manufacturing costs, final product pricing is determined by all the costs involved in producing the product plus the profit desired on said product, but you know all that. All that plus inflation leads us to now:

Money just don't buy what it used to!

I recall an advertising stunt some manufacturer did back in probably the 60's, I think it was MoPar. But anyway, they drove a car non-stop around the country, stopping only for oil changes, etc., one driver after another, until they had passed 100,000 miles. Then they tore the engine down and looked at the amount of wear, of which it showed very little. My point is that modern cars commonly get up in miles much farther than older cars did partly, perhaps mainly (in my opinion), because they are driven more in a similar length of time. My dad always kept his cars until after they had passed 100,000 miles, and our pastor when I was in HS had a 68 Chevy that he had over 250,000 miles on when the congregation bought him a new car. I know that he was a bit disappointed that he wasn't able to find out just how far that car would go. (He went on mission-preaching trips to southern Mexico every year, so yes, he put a lot of miles on it fast.) Take a new car and drive it only 8 thousand miles a year, and see if it is still going 12 & a half or more years later. (I think that I recall hearing some years ago that the average person drove 8,000 miles in a year. But the other thing is, most of the time a car became a work vehicle well before it reached 12 to 13 years old, so that it was no longer taken on long trips, which is where most miles were accumulated from back in those days - at least for my parents, anyway.)

It used to be that 90% of the wear in an engine took place during warm up so it stands to reason one that never got shut off would go a lot further. I also agree technology has came a long way and they are technologically and engineering superior. But at the same time cars have all kinds of crap they really don't need, not by law or safety. Convenience items like voice prompt GPS, seat warmers, running boards that extend and retract.....You even have to special order rubber floor mats and crank windows in a truck, if you can even get them at all. Cheby and Ford no longer offer standard transmissions in trucks, all computer controlled automatics.
Sad thing is I watch these ranchers (some of them relatives) destroy a 70 thousand dollar pickup in 2-3 years. Nobody wants one that's out of warranty because just a set of injectors (that they WILL need) can cost well over $10,000

Our family car is a 2009 Dodge Journey. It has this alarm that sounds when the computer thinks it needs an oil change. I've joined the Dodge Journey forum, and there are some guys on there saying that they have over 8,000 on an oil change, and should they change it anyways, even if it doesn't say so. Ours, on the other hand, is basically my wife's car, I only drive it on Sundays to church meetings, and ocassionally during the week if we go shopping or out to a restuarant. We live in town, so it gets lots of short trips, like up to the grocery store (about a quarter of a mile), and out to her dad's place (about 1 1/2 miles round trip). Right now it has 2,680 miles on an oil change, and it has already started dinging, saying that it's time to change the oil. I look at the oil, and it's still clean, and still has good viscosity. (Still hangs together between two fingers as you pull them apart.) I think I read some place that starting the engine is like putting 500 miles on it. I don't know, but I suspect that's the sort of figures the computer is using to come up with the idea that I need to change the oil before 3,000 miles. (I usually shoot for 3,000 - 4,000.)

"If i think it's too much it wasn't directed at me" well yeah if you are willing to accept things as they are
it's this make more money doing less work thing.
Like ferrari. they don't want to build alot of cars they want to get rich building a few cars
Like this guy who bid my driveway at over $6 a yard because he really doesn't want to do it or he's "trying to get rich from one job" as the old timers say.
i'm just saying if your going to be all that way thinking you're enzo then I don't think you deserve the accolades due an American mom and pop car company heaped on your accomplishment.
Yeah I've got alot of sour grapes over the castration of my nation. Between Bush and 'Bama 300% dilution of the dollar.
I was making $10 an hour back in the mid 90's I ought to be making maybe $40 to $50 an hour on account of th edollars I'm being paid with are just that low... Not that anything really is worth more comparatively.
I could have bought a new pickup for $5,000 back when I was making $4 an hour.
Back 20 years ago the downward slide wasn't so fast. it's accelerating
part of the problem I think is when they got rid of "piece of the action" laws prohibiting public capital beinginvested in private industry (wall street) you know how that discussion goes.

I buy miller products becasue they are good but you know damn well if there wasn't any foreign competition these $1800 migs might be $5,000 - $10,000 machines.
They have to sell them cheap if they want to sell enough to turn a profit
There atificial reasons behind a $40,000 pickup truck or $60,000 musclecar are not traditional American freemarket forces. shennaghans and unfair markets. Government intervention. I'd go so far to say if th egovernment mandates the use of a technology the patent has to be open source. i wonder how much of th eprice of new car is royalties paid to lawfirms that buy up patents.

Latest posts

Back