How I legally registered my rat rod with no title

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

I made a rookie mistake on day 1 of my project.
Picked up my 1950 international L110 from the junk yard. Of course, there was no title that came with it.
Being caught up,in the moment of the build, I dragged it home, pulled off the body, chopped up the frame into small pieces and hauled it off for scrap.
In retrospect, I know I should have kept it for a few reasons.
1) good metal man! I could have used the original frame for a multitude of different things.
2) IT HAS THE SERIAL NUMBER ON IT!!!

It wasn't long after I got my shiny new quarter in my pocket for the scrap weight that I realized my error.
Without a frame with matching numbers to the data plate in the cab, I was SOL trying to get a title fairly easily in Colorado.

So here we are 5 or so years later. Life has made this project drag out far too long, but under that issue, not having a good way to get a title was always eating me away in the back of my mind.

I've researched and researched and researched and came up with only illegal, or very difficult ways to remedy this issue.
Until one day on YouTube I came across this video.
https://youtu.be/M8sWBqgP1PI

I was slightly apprenenhisve about the process. Seemed far too easy. But I bit the bullet and gave it a shot.
Now, they want NADA value on the vehicle. In my case this giant pile of parts was worth somewhere around $5,200!!!!!
Then they tax you on that amount.
So I gathered up $380 worth of quarters and headed off to get a money order.
I filled out the docs, had my friend (who I technically purchased the vehicle from........he bought it from the junk yard but never picked it up) fill out a bill of sale for the NADA value.......which I would never run my right mind pay that amount for the truck in that condition, but hang in there with me.
Mailed it off and ignored the mail box for a week.
Then I basiclly sat next to the mail box for the next week hoping to get a licence plate size package.
That never arrived.
What did arrive was a letter stating the fees I had worked up were incorrect. I needed another $35 or so. It also made mention of needing a Vermont Licenced Dealer to perform an appraisal on the truck to verify value.
Ugh.
I thought i was dead in the water.
I got back on the YouTube video and asked questions all over.
To my surprise, someone named "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" replied directly to me on the YouTube video comment!!
Their answer was pretty vague saying "look at our website".
So a diggin I went and found this blurbe
"If you feel the vehicles value is less than book value, you may submit a Vermont Dealer Apprasial form".
Haza!
Yes, I feel the values is MUCH less then book value, but I'm not going to argue.
I send in a revised money order (they sent the original back) for the proper amount, and 17 days later, my ever anticipated licence plates showed up!
Holy crap!
So now, I have Vermont registration and plates, with my colorado address, to the vehicle in my garage, in my hands!
A few days later the sticker for the plates showed up too!
This is good for 1 year, and from what I gather, I can renew online in 1 year. :eek:

So, now technically, since Vermont is a title free state, and I have the truck registered, I can take the truck and registration a Colorado emissions center to complete a vin inspection, and get a clear title for the truck.

Hopefully, the vin inspection would only entail an inspection of the vin tag inside the truck. Which is original, and matches the serial number on the registration, and be all good.
If not, I'll keep the Vermont tags.

Okay, so maybe not 100% legal since I'm not paying Colorado tax, but a 15' section of curb on the side of some road in Vermont will be maintained for a few weeks thanks to me :)
Maybe I should visit some day.

Looked into getting some thing titled in Michigan the other day and the process sounds similar to what you went thru jm.
They have a proof of ownership form you fill out then they run the Vin thru the data base to make sure it is clean.
Then you need a Bill of sale from seller plus proven value of vehicle from a source such as NADA or Blue book to prove the value is under $2500.
The problem is that those sources don't give a value for a "Parts Car" or "non runner" so you have to get an appraisal from a certified appraiser.
If you go this route the trick is to get it appraised prior to working on it while it is still a pile of parts.
Nothing came of my inquiry as even with out a title. Four flat tires. A seized up engine and rotted out floor boards the guy thought that he had a "Rare Gem":rolleyes:
Torchie

Looked into getting some thing titled in Michigan the other day and the process sounds similar to what you went thru jm.
They have a proof of ownership form you fill out then they run the Vin thru the data base to make sure it is clean.
Then you need a Bill of sale from seller plus proven value of vehicle from a source such as NADA or Blue book to prove the value is under $2500.
The problem is that those sources don't give a value for a "Parts Car" or "non runner" so you have to get an appraisal from a certified appraiser.
If you go this route the trick is to get it appraised prior to working on it while it is still a pile of parts.
Nothing came of my inquiry as even with out a title. Four flat tires. A seized up engine and rotted out floor boards the guy thought that he had a "Rare Gem":rolleyes:
Torchie

Sounds exactly the same.
I agree, this is not a good option for a parts car, unless you're okay with paying the price. I wasn't able to have it appraised, since I'm not in the state I was registering in. But at the same time, I didn't mind paying the 6% on the nanda to get legit tags.
Of course, if nada says it's stupid rare and the price is astronomical, this probably isn't the route to take.

I checked the NADA for the 50 AD I bought at a garage sell a couple months ago. The value must be a restored one.
If I were stuck getting a title then even $492 would not be out of the question.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1950 NADA.JPG
    1950 NADA.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 312
thanks for being the guinea pig! I was hesitating about pulling the trigger on this, and im in colorado also. now I know it works ill be sending for it. the price is well worth avoiding the co process.

thanks for being the guinea pig! I was hesitating about pulling the trigger on this, and im in colorado also. now I know it works ill be sending for it. the price is well worth avoiding the co process.

Gladly!
I've been racking my brain on how I was going to accomplish this for the past 5 years once I realized my error.
Odd thing is they don't even ask for proof of insurance.
I've heard colorado is one of a handful of places that required insurance before registering a vehicle. That seems odd to me. I'd figure everyone would want a registered vehicle insured.

Just an FYI this will not work in NC. I sold a Chevelle to a fella down there and even registered it up here in NH (non title state) for him so he went home with current plates and registration. NC still made him go through the bonding process etc. for 6-7 months before getting a title for it. NH reg didn't mean squat to them.

Mass has a form you fill out at the RMV to get a MA title for a car that is CURRENTLY registered in NH. This makes life a touch easier for guys in MA to buy a NH vehicle with no title.

Thank goodness if it's over 35 years old here, no title is required. Used to be if it was built in 1975 or later, it had to have a title, but they changed it to a rolling 35 years old now. Doesn't matter if it has a valid out of state title, they won't issue a AL title for it if it's over 35 years old. I bet companies like Broadway Title had a fit when they started doing it this way. They supposedly could get a AL title on any year model, never figured out how they did that when there were none before 1975. Probably had some friends in the State DMV [or in other low places, lol].:D

That's some good info, I will have to check out the YouTube vid when I get home. I'm in Colorado and am going though the whole process. So far I got the vin varified and it turned up clean, then the sharif told me to go to the dmv and have them do a title search and then send it to the state and wait. Sounds easy enough, but when I went to the dmv the lady was clueless and basically couldn't read what was in front of her in writing. She basically said I have to send my vin varification to the state to have them do a title search (maybe I'm just reading it wrong and the officer is wrong about the dmv as well). So I basically said ok and left. It just seemed odd that they made such issue about it when the officer that did the vin varification pulled so much information that I already know it's all good to go and no issues with my vin (they search every possible thing, it's cool to see what it pulls up if they will let you sit and watch). It just seems like a bunch of random hoops to jump though when I'm still going to have to get a bonded title. I'm fine with that as long as I can get plates. Jim if you have any input on it from your experience please post. It really seems the way you did it is the better way. My vin varification lasts for a year, so maybe I can do the Vermont title and then just transfer it by next August and be good to go. The car I'm working on now is a 1927 Essex

On a side not. I don't know if it just Colorado but since we are on the topic of titles. After going though this process I think it's retarded what some people are asking for some of the body's or complete cars with no titles. They always throw in the add no title but bill of sale... Lol like its no biggie you will be good with that lol... Here, let me just take a piece of paper and scribble a few things on it and you will be all good lol

Last edited:
idaho title process.

I was at the car show at ISU in Pocatello and the United Street Rods of Idaho organization had a booth there. I asked about registering-titling home built cars. They told me to check their web site and Idaho DMV .They said I would need a bill of sale for all the parts,, then an inspection, then the car could be titled as the year and nodel the car most closely resembles and a glass body roadster would only have to meet the requirements fo 20's 30's.

canadian titles

Here in BC we are very lucky we have a "lost or missing title search" available. Since we don't have private insurance there isn't as much red tape. You can literally take your bill of sale and an affidavit and apply to have the car registered in your name, even if the last registered owner is not the seller. If there are no serial #s left anywhere on the body or frame they'll give you a new one it only has to pass a government safety inspection.

I just filled out all the paperwork to start the process on my 39. Hopefully it will be painless. Most of the people at the DMV seemed easy to get along with. Wish me luck.

If it all goes well, I have a second set of forms to do BEFORE I start the next project. I think... [S

I have found the easiest process here is to buy a car with a clean title, second best is using my favorite towing company to do the title work. The process is only available to bonded towing, wrecking yards or dealers. It takes a couple months and costs me $100

I just filled out all the paperwork to start the process on my 39. Hopefully it will be painless. Most of the people at the DMV seemed easy to get along with. Wish me luck.

If it all goes well, I have a second set of forms to do BEFORE I start the next project. I think... [S
Well, the person that gave me the forms said I could bring them back and they would have a state police officer come out and do a VIN check at my place.

The person today said, No you can't do that. You have to bring the vehicle in for us to inspect. Then, when we don't find a VIN, we have the state police look it over. I was very polite to this person also. This person spent a lot of time reading the rules and misinterpreting them. Obviously did not have a clue. "Not reconstructed because all parts are not 39 , "assembled" and registered as this year (requires 2017 emissions, yea, that gonna f'in' work), well..., maybe reconstructed will work if it will look like a 39. Sigh...

I suspect that it will be a different person that looks at the truck when take it in. Hopefully soon.

First, I have to make sure it runs and stops. It should. Then I have to clear a path to get it out of the back shop, through the house garage, and onto a rental trailer. This is what I was trying to avoid.

I was dreading this process, and so far, I have not been disappointed. :D :mad: I will prevail. And next time, I will have the title before I build the dang thing.

Another decent option is to buy an existing title for the same (or similar year and model) from one of the people on eBay or other forums like this that sell "vintage titles".
Here is an email address of one such person. ***Disclaimer... I have not bought a title from him myself but have heard he's reputable**** Most titles sell for $200-$450 depending on what it is and the demand for it is.

[email protected]

Side note: If you get a title for an old car you built and have to have the VIN verified... Call a VIN verification service to come to you and do it. (if your state offers that) Everything in California is tough but I buy and sell a lot of old cars and I have a side business buying, restoring, and selling Classic Step Vans like the Metros, Jeep Fleetvans, and Chevy P10 Stepvans. Whenever I get one from out of state I call a verification service and the guy comes to my house checks the VIN and fills out the form the state of CA. requires and I walk into the DMV and transfer the title with no issues whatsoever. When I bought my '29 Chevy Rat Rod from TX it had a title but because it was from out of state the DMV requires VIN verification to make sure the vehicle is actually IN California before they will issue a title and registration. There was NO WAY I was gonna roll up to the DMV or Highway Patrol office in my '29 and take a chance they see it and won't register it etc. Plus...there is NO VIN PLATE! Just a little metal plate with the VIN number hand stamped on it riveted to the frame rail. I didn't want the DMV or Cops to say "that's not the original plate" or "Hey...that beer keg is NOT DOT approved to be a fuel tank" Etc etc... and make it impossible for me to get the title transferred. So, the VIN Verification service solved this problem. Don't know if this will work where you are from but chances are...if it works in CA it will be even easier elsewhere!!! Seems like from the YouTube video and the OP of this thread Vermont doesn't care if the car is actually in the state as long as they get their fees they are happy! LOL Gotta love a state like that!

Another decent option is to buy an existing title for the same (or similar year and model) from one of the people on eBay or other forums like this that sell "vintage titles".
Here is an email address of one such person. ***Disclaimer... I have not bought a title from him myself but have heard he's reputable**** Most titles sell for $200-$450 depending on what it is and the demand for it is.

Only problem with that is the numbers won't match between the title and your vehicle, unless you stamp them yourself, a no no in most places. And there is also the possibility of you having the title to a car, and that car actually being in a no title state for years, something happening with that car and you get checked somewhere, you might be going to the pokey for something you didn't do!

If the vin numbers on the title and the car don't match, then you don't have a title for that car, plain and simple. You have a worthless piece of paper and a car with no way to say it's yours. What do you think Johnny Law would do in that situation? The car would probably be impounded, and you'll be headed to the gray bar hotel.

Latest posts

Back