Torchie needs a meeting followed by a 7-11 to hold up..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost bought one of those several years ago, I've always liked them. The guy wanted way too much at the time. Personally, I like the roof stock height, I just think it has such good proportions already. I've seen a couple in person where they've kept the stock height but modified the rear side glass to be one full fixed piece of glass and I feel that's the one modification that really improves the looks of these cars. Sweeping the posts looks good but it removes the style charm of the era, to me. Just my 2 cents.

Keep us posted!
I don't disagree with any of the above, snopro.:D Unlike the Mopar cars of this period the wagon looks right. The main reason for the pillar lean would be to get away from the "Pill box" look.

My mom had one back in the late '60s. One night I borrowed it. It was the only time I recall getting pulled over for driving to slowly. :D We were distracted. :rolleyes: I think... [S The recollection is kind of foggy.

I wouldn't mind being seen in one now.

The decal below is for you, Skip.[ddd[cl

I like the chopped panel with B-pillar and rear window leaned forward. It probably the cheapest way to go.

The cheapest way to go is not chopping it. :p;)

The cheapest way to go would to be not buying it kenny and snopro.:p
No updates. It's supposed to rain here for the next couple of days. After that I'll get back over there and hopefully make contact with the right brother.
Torchie

Attachments

• 417WtTFG6sL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    417WtTFG6sL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2
So Torchie, the Dodge is gonna feel unloved. :confused: What's the boss think'n about this. :cool:

I had a chat with the Dodge today. They are family. We are cool.:D :cool:
The boss......:eek: If Mrs T doesn't know how I am after 34 years she hasn't been paying attention.[ddd
I haven't gotten it yet and may not be able to even if he wants to sell it. It's one of the few vintage cars left in this yard that hasn't been stripped to the point of no return.
With it being what it is it's too unique to just sit there and rot, so even if I get it and flip it I will have saved another one. Much like the Dodge that was just awaiting transport to the scrappers.
Bring em back alive....
Torchie.

Yes it's all flat, Crank.:D
There have been a few of these chopped,(probably more then a few. According to the internet) the problem I have with most of them is that they chop them too much. Makes them look like a rolling pill box to me.:eek:
If I were to chop it, IF, I said. 3 inches at the A pillar. Most likely the same at the rear because they are boxy. Where I would do it differently would be to angle the B pillar (or all the pillars) to give it more of a "Nomad" type look as well as a bit more lean to the rear pillar/ upper hatch area.
Then of courseI'd probably want to give it a section too. Oh mama...stop me.:eek:[ddd
So if your bored Crank. break out the photo shop.....:D :D :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

In Jackie Gleeson's best voice "and away we go" [dr[cl[P

As a general rule, don't chop wagons.

They're very hard to get "right" and way too easy to get wrong. And when they're wrong, they're awful.

99% of the time they just look like they've been stepped on...

As a general rule, don't chop wagons.

They're very hard to get "right" and way too easy to get wrong. And when they're wrong, they're awful.

99% of the time they just look like they've been stepped on...

I don't disagree BED.I also think that most people do too hard of a chop and they all look squashed. Cars and trucks. But done correctly(No more then 3 inches in my book)and you can achieve that 1% that nobody gets right.:eek: :cool: [cl :D JMHO

If you flip it, I'm trying real hard not to be the flipee.
bob. At this time no call back from the brother about it so either he doesn't want to sell or we missed connections. It's supposed to be good weather on Friday. Time for a return visit.
Torchie

About 2" chop. Moved the roof forward with the A-pillar. Slanted the rest to match the moved roof.

Edit: also lowered it and forgot to fix the wing vent
attachment.php

Attachments

• 82439_Side_Profile_Web (1).jpg
    82439_Side_Profile_Web (1).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Sam.[cl :D :cool:
I know there are some that would say"Whats the point of only chopping it 2-3 inches."
This pic and Cranks are two great examples of why a mild chop works.
It's also why I only went 3 inches on my Dodge.
Now some one needs to take this pic and section 2-3 inches out of the body.Just because they can. Hint Hint Hint.......:eek: [ddd :cool:
Torchie

Torchie, you look at them like I do. Most folks chop too much, and it makes the body look fat, and sometimes fat and too long.

To me, you only want to take out enough to change the lines a bit. You want people to look at it and know it’s different, but have to look hard to figure out what. To me, a custom should be slight mods, smoothing, and getting the lines all flowing together. Canted headlights, goofy toothed grilles, and too large tail lights destroy the look. You want everything to appear like it was made that way, but you also want it to be different. It’s a fine line that most people miss....

In my humble opinion the objective of customizing is to make the vehicle look better, not just different. Many times different isn't better.

Torchie, you look at them like I do. Most folks chop too much, and it makes the body look fat, and sometimes fat and too long.

To me, you only want to take out enough to change the lines a bit. You want people to look at it and know it’s different, but have to look hard to figure out what. To me, a custom should be slight mods, smoothing, and getting the lines all flowing together. Canted headlights, goofy toothed grilles, and too large tail lights destroy the look. You want everything to appear like it was made that way, but you also want it to be different. It’s a fine line that most people miss....

In my humble opinion the objective of customizing is to make the vehicle look better, not just different. Many times different isn't better.

Agree with both of you. Bama and bob.
My touch stone for customs has always been the "Golden" period right after the war up till about 1953. After 53 things started to change with more and more mods being done. For many reasons. Not that there still weren't nice customs being built but by that time some of the earlier ones were already being redone with lesser results. At least to my eyes.
The guys that taught me are up into theirs 80's now if they are still around. Mostly Korean war vets that came home and went to trade school on the GI bill perhaps. And what they instilled in me is the idea that you took what the factory did and made it better as you both mentioned. Not just different.
The mods they did were usually things like Shaving chrome off. Getting rid of door handlers. French'd head lights and tail lights.Skirts Lowering. Maybe spots... Things they could do a little at a time and still be able to use the car.
To them, chopping was the ultimate. And it was always around the 3 " mark.
A few of them had Model A's or Deuces that were chopped but anything more then 3 inches was referred to as a "Hot Rod" chop.:eek: [ddd :D
Wether or not I get to move forward on this wagon remains to be seen but just "Imagineering" it, As Mac likes to say, has got me itching to get back on the Dodge.
Thanks for all the comments.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back