Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Ford Engines

Ford Engines Ford engine talk & Q&A

Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Creators of all things awesome

Default Fe oil woes

So that 428 i built has come back to me. She builds 25 lb of oil pressure at an idle but that is all it builds. Take the RPMs up no raise in oil pressure. I don't know if you guys remember but I did miss an oil Galley plug in front of the number 5 cylinder right behind the distributor. It was building 60 pounds of oil pressure almost with that missing. Now all the sudden it is decided it has decided it's not going to build pressure at all. It has a melling high-volume oil pump in it, we plasty gauged all the bearings and they were really good. We have tried two different gauges I have tried getting rid of the factory and running it directly into the oil pump housing. I am stuck help

Minterfab.com
Old 05-29-2019, 11:40 PM

I just change the oil in it and the filter. Has an AC Delco filter on it because I could not get the Ford one in town it has a 1540 oil in it with a Lucas zinc additive

It does run a remote oil filter and I made sure the lines were not backwards. I'm wondering if maybe I have the wrong oil filter on it or something

Minterfab.com
Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Yeah exactly

Minterfab.com
Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Did this happen right after you found the galley plug missing? right after you placed the plug? maybe too long a plug???
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
Did this happen right after you found the galley plug missing? right after you placed the plug? maybe too long a plug???
Not 100% sure when exactly it started because the factory gauge has never been the greatest. Right after I put that plug back in it I tested it and I could have swore it had good oil pressure the plug is literally just a press in soft plug. I mean I guess it could be in the hole too far and blocking part of an oil Passage

Minterfab.com
Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
"There’s nothing new in originality"

The part that makes you go hmmm. If it was a spun bearing or something major would it have 25psi at idle,but not raise at all when rev up? Sounds kinda like the "bypass" on the pump but never had one do it but have seen it on hydraulic pump on a tractor.Sounds like you may have to pull the pan and look for anything out of place and possibly replace the pump.

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"
Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 AM
"There’s nothing new in originality"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudget50 View Post
Not 100% sure when exactly it started because the factory gauge has never been the greatest. Right after I put that plug back in it I tested it and I could have swore it had good oil pressure the plug is literally just a press in soft plug. I mean I guess it could be in the hole too far and blocking part of an oil Passage
Unless the passage went to the gauge,wouldn't blocking off part just raise the pressure?

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"
Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
Unless the passage went to the gauge,wouldn't blocking off part just raise the pressure?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing because the fault that was missed is that the end of an oil Passage. So instead of returning on its normal path he was just jumping on to the top of the distributor shaft. The gauge comes right out of the top of the filter housing I was curious to see if I could move the oil pressure gauge and put it in the back of the motor anywhere and test it there

Minterfab.com
Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
The part that makes you go hmmm. If it was a spun bearing or something major would it have 25psi at idle,but not raise at all when rev up? Sounds kinda like the "bypass" on the pump but never had one do it but have seen it on hydraulic pump on a tractor.Sounds like you may have to pull the pan and look for anything out of place and possibly replace the pump.
I did that last night, I pulled the pan off of it with a different high volume pump in it and I have the same problem. I have a little better oil pressure but there's still no race with the RPMs. I also for one main cap off it and looked they look fine

Minterfab.com