Reverse trike w/ rear shaft drive

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neto

Has anyone here built a reverse ("sling shot"?) trike w/ a shaft drive running to the rear wheel? If you don't use a motorcycle drive line (like if you want to use an auto engine), and want to have a drive shaft running from a front engine arrangement, could a person use a ring & pinion gear to build a single wheel drive system? I was thinking that the ring gear could be mounted directly to a hub that would be splined for a shortened stub axle. The axle could run through the hub and run in a bearing in the outside differential cap if that would be helpful. Could something like that be built out of steel, or would it need to be cast?
I know that it would be easier to use a front engine FWD drive line out of a small car, and drive the two front wheels, but then you can't do anything special with the front end, like a dropped axle set out front suicide style, or quarter ellipticals, etc., to give it more of a ratrod/hotrod look.

The Suzuki Intruder uses a drive shaft set up, this might will help.

33d52c776c6299487b4527a9a4a58e47e.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• Download1.jpg
    Download1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 56
Not sure how you would mount it or get the axle to work but this Toy diff is short enough. lol

front-ifs-arb-differential.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, SS. That Suzuki bike, it's double swing arm, right? (I was looking for a single arm setup.) That assembly looks really decent, and I see them on Da'Bay for less than 50 smacks. It wouldn't stand up to a MoPar flathead 6 cyl, but a much smaller engine would work, I suppose.

With the complete transaxle, you would have to fix it somehow that it wouldn't just spin the other side, and you wouldn't want to just block that side from turning, or it would be operating the internals all the time, plus the extra weight.

Your last suggestion is along the lines I was thinking, but I was starting to think that everyone here just thought I was totally bonkers in the noggin. I was thinking of just using the ring gear & pinion gear & shaft, and having a machine shop fab the housing. It would be connected by H or double Y shaped swing arms top & bottom, to keep it from twisting (hopefully). Or maybe one would do it, and then use a single quarter elliptical spring set in the other position. (I wish I could draw up the picture I have in my head.)

What I have is the grill shell & hood from a late 40's Farmall M (Also have the fule tank, but not sure if it could be used with this design.). I don't know how low I could get it, since the drive shaft would go right under the seat. So I was thinking of using an old saddle for the seat (with a separate back rest) - then the tunnel for the drive shaft wouldn't matter, since you'd straddle it. (The tractor picture is off of the internet - not mine.)

Attachments

• 1945-farmall-m-tractor-129-4.jpg
    1945-farmall-m-tractor-129-4.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 9
One of the main problems is keeping things up close and tight to prevent twist but still have tire clearance. What about an industrial 90* gearbox? The problem with a homemade set up is strength and lubrication with trying to make a single shear bearing assembly.

ccs-22-132894108339.jpg

I've always wanted to take a FWD car and build a trike with the engine in the rear. Seen one done with a Eldorado 455, but that's a little much. A 4cyl or maybe a V6 would be big enough to get you in trouble! Only problem I see is cooling, hard to find a spot to put a radiator.

I've always wanted to take a FWD car and build a trike with the engine in the rear. Seen one done with a Eldorado 455, but that's a little much. A 4cyl or maybe a V6 would be big enough to get you in trouble! Only problem I see is cooling, hard to find a spot to put a radiator.

I always wanted to take a FWD engine and transaxle, mount it crosswise in the middle of a frame
use the left and rear axles as front and rear driveshafts
And built a compound reduction geared rock crawler this way

One of the main problems is keeping things up close and tight to prevent twist but still have tire clearance. What about an industrial 90* gearbox? The problem with a homemade set up is strength and lubrication with trying to make a single shear bearing assembly.

ccs-22-132894108339.jpg

What about gear ratio on a unit like that?

An old rodder/customizer here in Portland, built a rear engine dune buggy with a turbo charged front wheel drive Chrysler set-up. It worked very well. He is no longer with us, but his cars are still way over the top cool. RIP, Bob Sloan. He also put a Caddy Northstar set up, in the rear of a Crossly (I think) roadster. I have pictures somewhere.

Latest posts

Back