Help with lights

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
I thought with the knowledge base here, somebody might be able to ID these.
Red lenses are raised letter, back lenses are amber, and a side view gives you an idea of the case shape.

Thanks in advance for any help!

school bus ??? these are yellow on one side and red on the other , right ? if so Id say farm truck Just a guess though

Last edited:
The red ones with the letters in them are for brake and tail, the yellow ones are directionals. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I hadn't considered a school bus, but knew they were mounted in a way to see from both directions...any more thoughts? Thought I had run across some Dodge Brothers lights one time with the embossed "STOP" lenses but didn't remember seeing the amber back side lenses on those...

Look at some pics of 40's and 50's school buses, a lot of them had lights like that mounted on the outside ends of the mirror arms.

I've see the Dodge tail/stop lights, too. Maybe some other trucks had them. Never saw them with the amber on the other side on a truck though, but I guess they could have used them on the mirrors as well..........

all the ones ive seen on 1&1/2 -2 ton trucks were mounted on the side of the front fender , cause most didnt stay on the tail ends they got nocked off or big loads ,, and could have come from an older semi truck . the older bus and trucks had lights that were , just painted on the inside of the glass .

Thanks guys! ZZ, they are STRATOLITE 43 Lenses and I did seach that term but just got piles of lenses and still haven't seen one that matches exactly. I'm still cruising big trucks and bus pix. On dial-up so everything is crawling speed wise. Just have to find one with a decent shot of the lights. I took one apart last night to check condition. They are single filament bulbs so they would be only stop and turn signals. I opened the one that rattled to check it first and the rattle was just the old dried up gasket that had come apart. Bulb still good. I'll rock em what ever they are and thanks for the help. It's funny the "need to know" we have, even after we decide to use the unknowns...
Thanks again ya'll!

It's quite possible Kenny! I got these from a guy that runs an auction house and he took them off a home made trailer. The lenses are set in place with big spring clips so it's easy access to them. I also got shop memos from the Ford factory from September of 1931...pretty cool seeing them. I'll scan them and share soon.

Guys I know I'm late to this party, but various manufacturers used to sell what amounts to "generic" truck lamps. I can't remember who all, but Dietz and KD lamp were two. In some cases these lamps and lenses were nearly identical and interchangeable.

I sold these from the mid 70's to about 85 when I "got out" of parts

$_35.JPG

In many cases the OEM stuff was simply made by one of those. I think GM was AC / Delco "Guide" There are several brands.

Odds are school bus. It's a flashing emergency type light, and about the only thing using one with STOP and an amber light out front would be a bus or possibly a tow truck.

Thanks ya'll! I did find pix of buses and some wreckers with lights similar. I'm adding them to the 31. Might have to cover the amber side or at least some of it. Adds an erie yellow glow trying to use them as tail lights, but I may get use to them using them for brake/turn signal circuit. I've got them mounted in a manner that allows them to be seen from the front just above the rear tires. I like the idea of them being seen for turn signals from the front but on all the time at night would likely be irritating.

Latest posts

Back