old school rear radius rods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410merc

hi guys , well I started working on my model a hotrod frame , I have a question I am using a 9 inch ford rearend spring over axle I have the axle all mounted i want it to look as old school as possible ,so heres my question what styles of rear radius rods did they use back then , thanks guys

A lot of guys ran modified Ford wishbones on the rear and some ran custom made hairpin radius rods. I run hairpins on my 27 and it is basically the same setup you have, A frame, 9 inch rear, and a T spring over the axle.

Don

thanks so much for the response , and man does that look good , that is exactly what im going to do , the clevises that attach it to the axe the top one must be level with the top of the axle tube right ?

Yep, the top bar is straight and the bottom one curves up to meet it. If you aren't making your own, Ron on here (RPM) makes great stuff and it is very reasonable. I am going to go to him for the front axle and hairpins for my drag altered project.

Don

thanks again for the reply , did you use thick wall steel pipe , I think I will try to make my own , oh and what size clevises did you use , thankyou very much

thanks for the info , this will be my first attempt at something like this , I built and welded many things, I bought a pipe bender sometime back I just been itching to try out , so any advice would be wecome , thank again

All the radius rods we make, we use a 1" tube with a .219" wall. Much, much stronger than the 7/8" stuff.

Do not use "pipe" it is made to carry water, not support a rear end. Mine are 1 inch, like Ron sells, and they have been abused for 25 years, even with slicks, and have held up great.

As I mentioned earlier, I could make my own for my drag altered, but by the time I buy the tubing and the ends I will have more in them than just dialing up RPM.........and I know his are well done.

Don

thanks guys for your help , I know one thing if I do make my own I'm going to use some good thickwall steel pipe , their is a place about 75miles from me that carrys thickwall pipe next time I get their I will get some , thanks again for the help

1" tube with a .219 wall and 7/8 tube with a .156 wall, both have the same ID. Both tap with 5/8 tap. Of course the 1" is so much stronger than the 7/8. The 1" can also be drilled and tapped to use 11/16". That is what the old shool Ford tie rod ends are.

We have left and right hand taps from 3/8" to 3/4", so we can make adjustabe tie rods, and drag links.

boy I have to remember that ,tubing not pipe , well that's what happens when you deal with a farmer ,LOL

Latest posts

Back