Hodge Podge Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you are over the hump.It will be just easy stuff now. :rolleyes::D
I enjoy your enthusiasm Dave. [cl

Well thanks! :)

Once the body is in place (tomorrow?) then I can start hooking up all the electrical junk and see if it will fire up. Then seats, radiator, lights and yeah, "easy stuff." :p

Maybe you're right, or ...

I don't think you have a cab you are satified with yet................

Is it the cab that is the issue, or is it this chassis? I've been stalled out for 3 or 4 days now, looking at how the body sits and wondering just how to mount it, then looking at all the wiring and connectors, vacuum lines and the other crap from the original truck, and wondering if it is really worth all this trouble... [S

Progress, I guess ...

Frustration tinged with a little anger can be good motivators at times. I got the offending trans cover out of the truck today, despite the idiot welds that someone put in over the rear mounting screws at the back of the cover (on the funky seat mounts), so that is not an issue anymore. Also did some poking around and looking at all the stupid connectors and crap hanging all over the engine and trans, so put it all up for sale on craigslist. I will continue hacking away at this thing as it probably won't sell ...

Part of the problem is that I see all the beautiful and innovative builds on this site and others, and admire what talent and tools it takes. Then I look at the junk I have to work with and come to realize that I have no such abilities or equipment and want to throw in the shop towel.

Then I wonder if everyone had such issues with their first build, and maybe there is hope for me yet, if I can just get through this one? I knew it wasn't going to be easy, and the inkling of inspiration is still there, but as you can tell, part of the joy has escaped lately. Hope I can get back to that ...

A Crate Rant ,, apologies in advance for offence

dammit man .. we all do ....

tools and talent maybe, but it is learned, start with a picture in your head and work toward it. you know what you want to achieve
minimize - the big picture and take some small steps, if you don't like the crap take it off, and put in a box. basics. looks to me like you've done some cool stuff to that truck already youll give that away and someone else will claim it

and its ok to dust of the fishing rod , mountain bike or just not do rat rod stuff for as long as you are ready

I gave up on my Isuzu p'up parts chaser so many times,, in the end I got it done , man it is a heap of junk, but I like driving it, and I rebuilt it from front to back and had a lot of help on the way ... and im glad I did finish it, it is too handy for all sorts of mis-adventures
In my town we have some of new zealands top 10 (voted in the last nationals) cars ,, and one of those owners gave me the 'that's cool' look .

those ole chevy pick-ups are too cool ..

my sis & bro-law are putting together a 55 dodge p'up on a 1980 Australian holden 'ute" chassis. they have to add 2 x 2 box to the back of the cab to get it to sit level .. he's a bricklayer ..

stick with it you'll regret it if you flick it off ... crate

ps, I trained for years to work as a qualified panelbeater (bodyshop) . I have to borrow a welder off a friend, or take stuff to work to weld up.. that sucks. oh and my workshop is the great outdoors!!.

I saw you working with that big cab and knew it would be a lot to handle the first time. Start with something easy, cheap and fun like a T bucket. I can show you how to cut up one of those cabs to make a cool bucket with compound curves. What do you think?

Take a breather

We all had to start some where, it usually takes me years to get a build done. When I get frustrated I take a break and do research on the problems that I am having. Trips to the local pull n save are like therapy. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, you guys are right. Good to know this is not uncommon, and yes, this too shall pass. No offence taken. Patience is apparently not one of my virtues. :)

The idea is to have something that looks cool and is comfortable to drive; a truck to fetch things when the need arises or just cruise around and annoy yuppies and Prius drivers (LOL). It's really not that far away from being a runner, so will focus on that. The custom touches can come later.

Deleted the ads. Also noticed a bit of lettering on the valve covers, so wiped off the buildup of grease and grime to reveal those 6 magic letters for the 4.3 = VORTEC !!! :D

Last edited:
Never give up. Truth is, you can't. You have already been bitten by the bug. It's in your blood. You are doomed to build hot rods. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. I tried it once, and just had to start over from scratch. I couldn't quit. Your truck is starting to look good. I already have an idea for the front end being too long. Its outrageous, but once you learn some more about sheet metal work, stretching the front end will be easier than chopping the top on that baby. :) For me, the best part of doing this is learning new stuff.

Glad you decided to keep at it. Taking a vacation from it once in a while is a good idea. Even in the land of eternal sunshine. Its already raining here. Glad I have my shop. I started building cars in the same desert you are playing it.

Have fun!

Haha Skip. You crack(ed) me up!

... Your truck is starting to look good. I already have an idea for the front end being too long. Its outrageous, but once you learn some more about sheet metal work, stretching the front end will be easier than chopping the top on that baby. :) For me, the best part of doing this is learning new stuff.

Glad you decided to keep at it. Taking a vacation from it once in a while is a good idea. Even in the land of eternal sunshine. Its already raining here. Glad I have my shop. I started building cars in the same desert you are playing it.

Have fun!

No, I am not going to chop the top on this one. I have seen those done and it doesn't look right to me. The only thing that might change that is the cost of a windshield which may be too much. Then I might consider it.

What is your idea for the front? I am thinking of slanting the radiator back and having the 2/3 Freightliner leaned back as well, probably at least 60 degrees, maybe more like 45. Always open to suggestions, though. :D

I wasn't thinking about chopping the top, although I have seen it done on a 57 chev pu, and its cool. Besides, the glass for a chopped top is the cost of a standard windsheiled twice, plus the re-cutting. Twice because they usually distroy the first try and have to start over. But you get to pay for it all. ;)

Actually, I was playing with the idea of stretching the fenders and hood that you don't have yet. :) Make them reach out to fit over the front wheels. It would look kind of like a funny car. One of the photochop gurus should take a shot at the idea. See if it looks as good as I think.

Interesting... I've seen a stretched-nose '40s Chevy pickup with a '70s Camaro front end on it, probably the same '57 topless pickup in a youtube video (orange or yellow?), but the "funny car" idea would be cool, especially if it had a good slant on it. Ideas are always great until you have to actually pull it off. :D

BTW, finally got hold of the guy with the tow truck and he is going to be taking it apart, keeping the PTO winch, but I get the rest! Probably not the bed, but even having a fakey tow truck would be cool as heck! I love those ratty ones. :)

Last edited:
"Is that your final answer?"

Position, survey, re-position, survey, re-think, re-position ...

This is the photo from the first time I put the Chevy body on, and about where it is sitting right now after a day of fiddling:

P7010185_zps0c0de757.jpg

I can get the gas tank back underneath and re-weld the cross brace/gas tank front support that I cut off and use it to mount the tank and also the back of the body and help square it up in front. Plus, I get the raked body look again, which I really like.

Trying to make it easier and get rid of a couple of to-dos and save some money in the process, and pretty sure this is where it will stay. Could have saved myself a week of jockeying had I left it there, but I know a lot more about where it can and can't go now, and that's a good thing!

Last edited:
I'd find some doors and put them on before I started setting the cab height. It will look totally different with doors on it. And it will also look different on wheels and tires instead of on the ground...........

I'd find some doors and put them on before I started setting the cab height. It will look totally different with doors on it. And it will also look different on wheels and tires instead of on the ground...........

Will do, thanks. :)

I have doors and wheels and tires. It is actually sitting on tires right now, but no new photo. Here's one with wheels on which is pretty close, just for 'Bama!

P7060191_zpsab095f40.jpg

Last day in the 90s here for a week or so, so hope to accomplish a LOT !!!

Last edited:
The fire is back!

Last day in the 90s here for a week or so, so hope to accomplish a LOT !!!

And DID !!! I had a buddy stop by today, and we worked on aligning the body to the chassis. It's always easier with two sets of eyes and two measuring tapes! We bolted the rear to the chassis (sorta) using long bolts through the original mounts and a big washer on the end. Snugged up to hold in place and then centered front and "DON'T TOUCH IT!" :D

Then went to the front and noticed that there is a bolt hole in the side of the frame right near the original body mounts on the cab. A simple L bracket should square up the body on the chassis, then use a crossover bar/brace in the back for the rears. Once again finding out what can be done by doing something that one thinks is clever, but is actually not! [cl

my truck sat for 8 years because I was so damn discouraged. started with a wiring harness upgrade and ended with a complete restart. engine/trans and rear-end rebuild. motivation came and went.

success

Thomas Edison tried over 1000 times to make the light bulb with no success.
He never gave up...... That's what made him a great man not the 1 time he got it right. U WILL GET IT RIGHT... wish i could stop over and help.

Body mounted !!!

wish i could stop over and help.

Well, if you need a break from winter, come on down! :D

After getting the body centered yesterday, I went out intending to make a couple of L brackets to mount the front, but with no vise, no torch, and just a big hammer? I don't think so. Got to looking around and saw the bed mounts I had cut off a couple weeks ago. Too wide, too long, but my new best friend Mr. Side Grinder got them into the right shape to throw bolts through the frame and the front body mount holes:

P7080191_zpsda454446.jpg

So when someone asks you "why do you keep all this junk," we all know the reason! Boxes o' bolts came in handy, and it is on there SOLID !!!

As for the back, I had to dip into my old stash of Miata parts:

P7080192_zps34e7156d.jpg

That is a seat belt tower spacer and a cam washer from the lower A-arm to snug it down to the frame. Kinda hokey, but it'll do for now, at least until I get out the welder and [;) .

And then, because I know Bamamav will want to see it, set a door up there:

P7080193_zps528e49cd.jpg

Well whaddaya know, it is starting to look like a truck! [cl

Latest posts

Back