1939 Plymouth Coupe P8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you just have to use whats on hand! Actually for the flange that bolts the fender to the cowl i used 18 ga cause thats what the original thickness was. I've never used 20 for any repairs but it sure does feel really light.

-Chris

So a few weeks back i inspected my front suspension and realized that it was all worn out, this car has an early version of IFS. I realized that if i wanted to get this thing driving properly i'd have to rebuild it. I'm really glad i did cause when i took it apart some of the bushings where finger tight, and worn completely through. Well during that job i found out i needed a different upper control arm. The one on my car was really badly worn. I ended up buying a pair from French Lake Auto Parts in MN. Those got here last week.

The Mopar service manual calls for special tools to set up the upper and lower control arms. They require proper spacing to work right. The issue is these Miller tools are next to impossible to find. Therefore i did the next best thing, try it without them. Today i started in on the drivers side and it actually all went together pretty well. If you take your time and tighten everything evenly it's not to difficult to do. The service manual calls out specific spacing between different parts of the suspension system. As long as you make sure these are right its not an issue.

I used anti-seize on the outside of all the bushings where they dont get greased, and pre-greased the inside a little bit. On one of the "lower control arm bar bushings" i put a wee bit to much grease. When i went to tighten it to the 165 ft-lb spec it actually blew the grease fitting right off. Now these fittings are pressed into the bushing so i'll just have to get another one.

All in all it came out well and travels up and down nice and smooth and tight. No more crazy slop from left to right. It's no wonder the car handled like crap the few times i got to drive it.

Here's a few pics of the components back on the car, and a pic of the busted bushing. Sorry for the long reply, i just haven't done a great job of posting up progress lately.

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2361.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 30
I hope Skip, the owner of French Lake Auto Parts gave you a good deal.

The front suspension should work fine with the new parts you installed.

I hope Skip, the owner of French Lake Auto Parts gave you a good deal.

The front suspension should work fine with the new parts you installed.

Skip seems like a nice guy. I think i got a decent deal, i had called another place in either north or south Dakota (can't remeber which) and they wanted $300 for a used pair. I got the ones from french lake for $125. I was looking for some NOS ones but those are real hard to find and expensive.

Smallfoot: Yea, the car should drive almost like new again. I can't wait to go for the first drive again.

-Chris

I made a pretty good score today. Someone told me of a fellow who had an NOS Arrow headlight conversion for my car. The best part was that he was only 20 minutes from my house. This conversion kit allows you to switch over to round sealed beam headlights. I'm real happy i got to pick these up, i think they are pretty rare. The little bit of googling i did the other day didn't turn up much info. I've attached some pictures.

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 27
Sweet!!!!

Thanks Pops. I thought so too! The guy was really nice, he showed me his car collection. My favorite was the mid 30's Hudson roadster he had. Apparently Hudson didn't make a roadster that year, only 5 window coupes. The car he had was actually re-bodied by Briggs (a coach builder back in the day), into a roadster. I didn't take any pictures cause he had all the cars covered up and i didn't want to make him take all the covers off for a photo shoot. :D

-Chris

Nice find on the aftermarket headlight conversions.[cl:D:cool:
We tend to forget that back in the days before we just threw things out rather than repair them, there were many after market add on parts available to make something more current.
Torchie

I had some time over the past couple days to start re-installing the passenger side front suspension. I was able to fix the grease zerk that broke off of the lower control arm bushing. I drilled it out and tapped it for 1/8 NPT, worked like a charm. Now i still need to finish installing the spindles, king pins, coil springs, and wheel assemblies on both sides. Im happy to say that the suspension feels really tight and smooth now. It also really wasn't that hard to assemble it without the special tools that are in the service manual. It just takes some careful measuring and being sure to tighten things down evenly.

Does anyone know if there's a torque spec on the upper control arm bushings (pic 5 )?

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2376.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 23
I scored this Nicson dual carb intake on ebay last week. It looks to be in really good condition, doesn't look like it's ever been used. This will go on the '39 at some point and possibly a dual exhaust that i fabricate myself.

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2382.JPG
    IMG_2382.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2384.JPG