Nick's 52 Chevy COE build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick, if you squint when you're looking into the future, you'll see a really cool, really rare hotrod motor. But, if you open your eyes wider and look into the near future, you'll see what trouble a 'white elephant' is. Those Caddies will be hard to get parts for like the flywheel, clutch, transmission, oil pan, and water pump.
I am trying to whip a 'white elephant' into shape right now and it's a struggle. I have acquired a Lincoln 'Y' block with no flywheel, starter, or clutch. There are two bellhousing options; both not very good. I can take an 'FE' bellhousing and machine the bolt holes and dowel pin holes to fit on the 'y' block or take a big truck 'Lincoln 'Y' block bellhousing that is almost 2 in' too deep and get a long snout input shaft to go though the bell to the rear of the crank. It looks like I will have to get a starter that I can clock about 30* to fit in the casting of the motor. Boy, am I ever going to have a rare motor though.

Got the donor piggy home and have started to tear into it.

I am very happy with the condition it is in. Bonus...Tilt steering column, Rear disc breaks on the rear D70.

Drug the Cobra to my farm to finish it off. The girls went to town to do girl stuff so I decided to cut off the back. Heavy monster.

So how well is the cab gonna fit that front chassis? Looks like the RV was more cab forward than the COE.

The P30 chassis has the same engine and front axle location as the COE. If you look back through some of the pics the engine in the COE is completely under the floor of the truck. The hood on the COE gives an impression that the motor is under the hood. Very deceiving.

I was looking more at front wheel to seat placement, but after looking again, they do both look fairly close. Might not even need to do much of anything to the steering linkage besides swap out columns.

Latest posts

Back