is the LOVE BOAT allowed here?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO
got the rear tire/drum off
removed hub cover and pulled the axle out.
realized i dont have a 2 jaw puller or a seal remover.
after looking at it for a few minutes
said screw it and put it all back together.
dont have any money for tools and im sick of working in the darn driveway by myself.
im just gonna drive it.
if it breaks
i will save up for six months and hire a mechanic to do it
it isnt technical.
but it is physically demanding and it hurts my back.
tires are 100lbs each for instance.
all i was going to do is repack the bearings
what a wuss.....

titled it today
$301
it took three DMV ladies and a phone conference to figure out what to do with it
carb should be here tomorrow

You should have told them it only cost $2000, no sales tax that way. And then registered it historical, $10 forever and $5 for the transfer.

used your suggestion
$15 for lifetime registration
and went with hagerty insurance
$170 a year

While fooling around with the gas gauge I saw something that looked like it should be grounded
Ended up melting a bunch of wires in the dash.
So I will replace them and see if I broke anything

Ouch....

While fooling around with the gas gauge I saw something that looked like it should be grounded
Ended up melting a bunch of wires in the dash.
So I will replace them and see if I broke anything

That sucks...but hopefully nothing got cooked other than the wires...my grandfather used to say " assumption is the mother of all screw ups"...he was correct....every time I assume something...it bites me in the butt...

replaced the 2 cooked wires
and promptly melted the new ones
totally disconnected the fuel gauge and gave up on it.
looking at the raggedy hodge podge rats nest of 50 year old and scabbed together wires.
i will simply buy a universal harness and replace the entire flustercluck.
i hate wiring
and only do it because i cant afford the labor charges

I haven't wired an engine before so I will leave it alone. Except for simply replacing obviously worn wires.
But all the stuff in the dash needs a complete replacement.
Probably a 12 circuit universal harness will do the trick.
I have the heater and spotlight and I will want a cigarette lighter / power plug

I haven't wired an engine before so I will leave it alone. Except for simply replacing obviously worn wires.
But all the stuff in the dash needs a complete replacement.
Probably a 12 circuit universal harness will do the trick.
I have the heater and spotlight and I will want a cigarette lighter / power plug

If you've never done it just do it. Seriously if you can wire the dash you're more than qualified to do the engine. If the wiring inside is such a mess, you might as well start from scratch and redo the whole deal so you know you won't have any future problems. That's what I would do, anyways.

One of the small kits Speedway sells should be all you need Billy. They have pretty good instructions and the wires are marked every few inches as well as color coded.

I'm going to echo Snopro here, Billy, do it all. You'll find that quite a few of the wires that you change under the dash, go out to the motor, anyhow. The motor compartment wiring is simpler than the dash stuff, so more guys will have fiddled with it, over the years, so change it all.
Take this from a guy who drives a truck that has three or four different coloured chunks of wire spliced together, amateurishly, going in every direction, and hasn't done anything about it but swear at the occasional small fires.
Good luck Billy.

woot!
got the historic plate in the mail today!
now me and the grand kid can be cool cruising around being cool .
yep
so cool I had to say it twice.
I couldn't figure out why the kid was always checking the mail box.
He was looking for the plate.
Pretty cool that you only get one to put on the vehicle.
I hate em on the front.

I got it temporarily squared away.
Took the kid to where the national guard was doing maneuvers.
The guardsmen liked my dodge and they showed us how some of the equipment worked.
I am REALLY starting to like this truck.
Pics soon.
Oh yeah I got the windshields so that they open easy.
And the aftermarket vent in the top of the back makes a big difference in temperature.

A kick in the pants to drive and a real head turner.
Those are the only two things I demand from a hobby car,truck,whatever.
The 27 Chevy was a hoot to drive and so was the willys jeep
If I was rich I would still have all of them.

The back of the ambulance is insulated.
my rig has a RV type vent in the roof in back.
today I noticed that the ambulance was cooler inside than my modern white pickup

Latest posts

Back