1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, aside from working on the air ride, I decided that its time to start working on the brakes and steering. Picked up a 58 ford t-bird steering column and gear box for the Chevy. For some reason, ford stuff ends up in my Chevys. Anyhow, guy I got it from had disassembled it for shipping so instead of trying to figure out how it goes back together, I figured I'd just use the innerds and when I figure out the length I need I'll chop it. Leaving enough shaft to weld a gear or two to. Anyhow, been trying to mount things and boy howdy is it gonna be a tight fit. Decided to use the Mercedes brake/clutch assembly instead of ordering a floor mount because I had it. Keep running into tolerance issues so it's been a struggle but I think I figured it out now but that'll have to wait for tomorrow cause its time for bed. Here's a picture of the first go round.

I don't know if you can tell but the column would be way too far to the right and I'm sure the wheel would either hit the door or it'd just be way to uncomfortable. Again, that'll be tomorrow's project. Did I mention that I was also making it right hand drive? ;)

Last edited:
Been working on the steering some more today. Have to make it to where the RHD can come out the left side so the solution, chain and sprockets. All I need to do now is ream the hubs of the gears now.

Sprocket is too big for the shafts.

Bearing hub is perfect though.

But it doesn't fit inside the sprocket.

But the inner race fits perfectly inside the gear.

So cut the outer race off the bearing along with the bearings.

And pund it I to the gear.

Add the hub.

And center it all.

Put the hub back on.

Got more done today than I thought I would and could have spent more time out in the shop but I'm getting tired and my eyes are starting to burn from lack of sleep. Got my dash made and welded in. Still have to grind down the welds but she's in and I think it's more fitting for this car than the original dash. Also got my steering column mounted but i still need to do all the chain linkage and such before the wheel and column stay in for good. I'm tempted to cut the top 1/3 out of the wheel so it doesn't feel so large but its almost a shame with as nice of a wheel it is. Tomorrow I'll start on the transmission tunnel and maybe get some of it made. We'll have to see when it gets to that point. Anyhow, what everyone loves, pictures.

Not too much going on the last few days. Decided that since the weather was crap and it's been needing to be done, I'd finally make my body mounts and make sure the driveshaft would clear the rear of the body before I built the tunnel. Not liking how high it had to go up but it'll work. If need be, I can always lower the motor and tranny to get everything down lower but for now, this'll work. Dug out the shifter assembly from the parts pile to see if I could remember how it all goes together. And tomorrow I WILL be working on the tunnel. It's pretty much the last thing I need to do before filling in the roof. Anyhow, pictures to follow later today.

Not too much going on the last few days. Decided that since the weather was crap and it's been needing to be done, I'd finally make my body mounts and make sure the driveshaft would clear the rear of the body before I built the tunnel. Not liking how high it had to go up but it'll work. If need be, I can always lower the motor and tranny to get everything down lower but for now, this'll work. Dug out the shifter assembly from the parts pile to see if I could remember how it all goes together. And tomorrow I WILL be working on the tunnel. It's pretty much the last thing I need to do before filling in the roof. Anyhow, pictures to follow later today.

Looks like you're making good progress. I like that wheel, what's it out of?

The steering wheel, and what's left of the column I hacked to heck, is out of a 59 t-bird. And yeah, I feel like I'm actually making progress now. Started on the tunnel today. Since I don't have a fancy metal roller or English wheel I made a cage sorta deal to get the overall shape it needed to be and ten banged away at the metal, along with cutting bits off here and there until she fit about right. Tomorrow I'll grab the shifter assembly and figure out where the hole needs to be then try to fab up the portion that covers the bell housing. Also need to pull the driveshaft out and bang out a a bit of the tunnel where it meets the seat mount. Taking it one thing at a time though. Makes it not feel so hectic.

PICTURES!!!

The cage. It got removed after I was done somewhat forming the tunnel.

Mostly welded in on the left side. There's a small gap in the front but nothing a little wire won't fill up.

And the right side. You can see the part that needs banged out on the rear portion. No big deal in my book. It is a rat after all.

So, haven't done anything to the tunnel since I updated last but, Saturday I went to a swap meet and found a steering box that I could use. It's from a 28 studebaker 7 passenger car. Nice and tight and will work great, aside from not coming with a pitman arm but seeing as I'll have to extend it, not a big issue. Just need to find the right diameter pipe to weld to it. Anyhow, got the box mounted and fabbed up my chain drive from the passenger side column to the box. Literally spent all day doing it because I kept running into snags like forgetting that I can't run from a 10 tooth sprocket to an 11 without it binding up. I'm sure it would be okay if it was just from one to another but I needed a way to run around my oil filter and then because of that, I needed a second sprocket to keep the tension from the drive sprocket to the gearbox sprocket. Anyhow, pictures speak a thousand words so here's are a few.

And I'm sure you're wondering why only one chain. It's DID 60 roller chain. Pretty much the same type of chain as a motorcycle but for agricultural usage. It's plenty stout and for slow revolutions, it's more than enough.

Tomorrow I'll start dealing with under the dash and hopefully get that portion of the steering set up. Wednesday I'm pulling the 33 out of hibernation to get her ready for Saturday. I kept forgetting this winter that I needed to adjust the headlights cause right now they look like someone have the car the good ol' 1/2(as in boxing.)

That chain steering setup is CRAZY. I like it.[cl:D :cool:
I had a RHD Jag for a while. It used to drive my nuts when we went for rides.[ddd
[P [P
Torchie

Didn't get it all done today, might do some more tonight after the weather cools down a bit. Not used to this 80* weather we're having just yet, seeing how it was snowing 2 weeks ago, raining all last week, and now like this. But I did get the gears going from the drivers column to the passengers column and the chain mounted. Now just need to figure out a tensioner method. I think I have it figured out but I need to just get it done. And thanks for the good replies Torchie and Dozer. Seams like you two are the only ones following along too closely lol.

Alright, got my ambition back and finished up the chain drive steering. Because of the tensioner I used I may have to redo that part but no big deal. This was one I had saved after replacing the tensioner a on the girl friends pickup.

A/C belt tensioner off of a 03 4.8L gm engine.

Drilled out where the 3/8 square drive is and placed in a 1/2" bolt.

Made a little bracket to mount the tensioner to.

As you can see, just some basic 3/8 steel nutserts.

And all put together outside of the car.

Installed behind the firewall. It'll keep folks guessing when they first look at it.

And from one side to the other. Did I mention how little room there is under this dash? Not a fan.

So, seeing as I got that finished. Tomorrow I'll be working on the 33 for Saturdays show but once that's all set up, back to work on this ol'girl. Might start on the tunnel again but I haven't really decided on what's next.

Latest posts

Back