1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Missoula on Friday and picked up the Mercedes. It's a pile of crap lol. At least one injector needs replaced, fuel lines are incorrect for diesel, windows and power sunroof don't work, and it is not quick by any means so should make an interesting drive train. On a good note, seats are very comfortable.

Yesterday after work I decided to play round with the Mercedes and turns out all but the drivers front window works. The car has to be running to get the windows all to work, not just "key on, engine off." After that I decided to tackle my hinge issue. I had 1 door that was junk with good hinges and another that was perfect with no hinges so I pulled the hinges off but they were all very tight so I soaked ten in PB for a while. Got them freed up enough to move but not nicely so I figured what the heck and tried to drive the pins out of them. Got the first one done with no issues but the second one is a whole mother story. Added heat and continued to beat. After a while the hinge popped about 1/4 of an inch but wouldn't go any further. Added more pb, let her soak, added more heat and snap!!!, the hinge snapped. So now I am looking into doing some hidden hinges. Unfortunately I can't get any good pictures of any so if anyone has any detailed pics, I would be very much appreciative. Might try my luck at em after work today.

This is a great thread, love what you did with the bodywork. I wish we had stuff like that sitting in fields over here but I guess the pikies took it all a long time ago.

Dan.

Decided to use the frame that came with the car, whether it's original or not I don't know but it'll work, I think. Channeled the body over it 5 inches and got it roughly where it needs to sit. Once I did that I started working on my hidden hinges. And seeing as I had to start from scratch, I decided to make em suicides. I'll have to go in and redo a little of it but I think it'll work and I'll make a good tutorial on how it's done once I'm finished.

Here's some pictures.

And the first try at hinges.

Good luck with the Mercedes engine. I had an 83 300 D and really liked it. 5 cylindere diesel will run forever. Mine had around 300k. I sold it because i didn't drive it much. I did build a biodiesel processor that worked great. It is still sitting in the barn. Great build!

ever seen running boards for bedsides? I saw some pictures on here at one time of a truck with running boards for a bed and it looked pretty cool. Almost cartoonish.

As promised a good detail on how I made my hinges. Right now it rubs a little and it doesn't allow the door to open without sagging but I haven't reinforced the body yet so it's understandable.

First I took a piece of 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe and cut +/- 45* out of it.

Then I took some steel bushings

And some steel spacers

And placed them on a bolt

Placed them in my vice and welded the pipe to it

And welded a piece of 6" 1/4" thick flat stock to it

Next I took a piece of 2x3 square tubing and drilled a hole towards the outside corner. This is the edge that sits closest to the body and door jamb.

And put it all together, cut a slot in my door jamb, and welded it all into place.

Depending on your car and the makeup of your doors, yours may be different but you get the idea on how to do it.

Looking good on the hinge!
I would suggest more surface area for larger doors, or some brass washers for wear.
If you wanted to get really trick, some needle thrust bearings would help too =)

So, haven't posted any pictures up lately but that's because I've gone backwards a little. Couldn't get the suicide doors to open without binding so the hinges had to be redone. Finally got it to where I can open the door without "too much problems. What I did was I cut the hinges off of the parts car and welded some steel strap to them and got it to where I can open and close them with ease. Next off is to rebuild the door frame cause I had to cut a good chunk of it apart to get the hinges right. Here's some pictures.

And in this one you can see the huge gap between the door and the body. That's where I will have to rebuild the door jam.

Dose anyone know what brand of car the diamond "All Steel" ID plate goes on? I had a roadster body that was a coupe with the top chopped off when I was a kid. Never managed to do anything with it, but always wondered what it was. It was on the large side compared to my Model A, and had a nice trunk shaped like a T, only way bigger. Like so many, I wish I had it now. I'd know what to do with it. Thanks!
66BB97A1-FFD6-47A2-92F9-9FBC90FFB534_zpsqo1fxbq8.jpg

Latest posts

Back