Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Stretching a cab is really easy in PhotoShop. It looks like you got it done in real life.
In chopping up anything like this relief cuts are your friend.
Once you get into the late 30's most trucks cabs have very rounded roofs with little to any flat area on them.
Doing what you are doing is akin to taking a ball and slicing it in half and then adding a filler piece to tie the two back together. It going to have a flat area.
You won't find a straight piece of cutter so you are doing what I have done before which is to find the flattest piece possible. Make some cut in it and flatten it out.
I like to use a piece of angle iron clamped across the gaps(Like your gutter area) to help hold things in place as well as giving me that straight line that I need to make the gutter look and fit right.
Keep at it you are doing great.

Torchie

Last edited by Torchie; 10-04-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Yep, going in the right direction
Old 10-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It's looking good so far. It's a lot of work but attention to detail will pay off in the long run. I found that clamping a piece of 1/4 round rod into the gutters helps align thing a lot since it will fit down in the curve in the gutter and kind lock it in place. I'm no expert and have only done one chop myself but if you look through my 36 build thread, I tried to detail what I did with as much detail as I could. You might at least see some things in there that help you avoid some of the mistakes I made and there might be a trick or two that is helpful. I had a buddy who has done 15 or so chops giving me pointers that all seemed to be spot on.

My 36 Ford Bobber build: http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34104