"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Snake Farm

Gotta chime in again. You are definitely are really motivated to get this thing together. This pre-rat rod piece of history is gonna look awesome. I still have my old Willys truck (stock stock stock)but I can see how with a boat load of work what these old trucks can look like. I have spent a lot of time working on mine but seeing different pieces in totally different ways on your truck...you are one creative dude thats for sure. Keep up the good work.

MikeC

Thanks Mike for the encouraging words, I do seem to be on a roll :D Exactly why, who knows? [S Maybe the planets are aligned just right.....maybe I just finally relaxed and let myself have some fun with this thing :D As of tonight I'm riding a 14 day working streak! It's been almost a week since I updated my progress so I'm a little behind in that respect........but hang on and I'll try to catch everyone up to date.

Stay tuned,

Ray

Well, I've worked at least an hour on the Willys every night for the past two weeks straight! I've been making pretty good progress but I've ran into some embarrassment too :eek: Twenty some years ago when I had the exhaust system made I ran everything under the first two cross members and it's really low......too low in fact, so I've been rethinking it. At first it seemed like maybe running 28" or taller tires on the rear would be enough to take care of it...

189rethinkinglowexhaustLarge.jpg

193ifIuse28inchtalltiresLarge.jpg

.....it gave me another 1/2 inch but the more I looked at it the more I felt I needed to do something that would let me raise the exhaust at some point. The second cross member on the Luv frame has a pretty big dip in it and this was the biggest problem when running the exhaust.....

196thinkingaboutinvertingcrossmemberLarge.jpg

...so I got the big idea that I'd flip it over, now I'm not saying I made a hasty decision but 10 minutes later it was laying on the floor !

197thoughtaboutitImdoingitLarge.jpg

198crossmemberoutLarge.jpg

So I cleaned it up, flipped it over and stuck it in for a test fit. Looking good, lots more room to tuck the exhaust up off the road right?

200invertedtestfitLarge.jpg

Then it hit me and I bent down to the tail shaft of the tranny and looked back at the rear end........DOH!

201CraprightinthewayLarge.jpg

.....NOW WHAT?

More to come,

Well I've done cut the cross member out and flipping it over makes total sense so I just need to make a hole in it right?
So I went to work mocking up a drive shaft loop....

202mockingupadriveshaftloopLarge.jpg

....I'm no engineer so the only way I knew how to check for travel was to load the back down all I could and see where the drive shaft went. I figured my cab sitting at the very tail end of the bed with a bunch of tools and six concrete blocks in it....

203loadingreartotestsuspensiontravelLarge.jpg

........and another 210 pounds thrown on top of the firewall :eek:

204another210poundsLarge.jpg

...should put it down about as far as it will ever be, and if it should go farther I will just throw some air shocks on it LOL

Here's where the shaft sits with the load on it....

205clearancewithloadLarge.jpg

.....and here it is with the truck jacked up by the frame and the rear suspension hanging.....you know, like if I was to ever "get any air" LOL

206jackedupbycrossmemberLarge.jpg

207clearancewithsuspensionhangingLarge.jpg

So, I decided to raise the loop a bit and check to make sure the drive shaft would go in an out okay....

209seeingifdriveshaftwillgoinandoutLarge.jpg

210noproblemswithdriveshaftremovalLarge.jpg

.......no problem there, also measured clearance for cab and with the three inches I moved it back it should fit nicely into this recess a the rear of the cab.

212crossmembershouldfitinthisrecessLarge.jpg

Hang on and I'll try to bring you up to tonight.

Welded the cross member in.....

216weldeditinLarge.jpg

Cut a loop out of an old rusty piece of drill casing....

219cutloopfromoldpipeLarge.jpg

Cut the center out of the cross member.......

217finishedcuttingloopopeningLarge.jpg

Welded the loop in and gave it the old "210 Test"

222finishedweldingandgaveitthe210testLarge.jpg

Called it a night and went for a cruise :D

223WednesdaycruisenightLOLLarge.jpg

....after all, Wednesday night is "sit and make engine noises night" :D

Hold on for one more update,

Ray

And now for tonight's work session. With the cross member completed, the cab frame mounts tweaked and rewelded and the frame area that will be covered by the cab cleaned up I decided it was time for some primer!

Had this left over from a job......

225rustoleumprimerLarge.jpg

Looks like it should work fine......"Look Maw, no over spray!" :D

227paintingdriveshaftloopLarge.jpg

How's it looking ?

229primedLarge.jpg

I have high hopes for the weekend but lots of other stuff to do too so we'll see what happens. I'd love to get the cab floor finished and painted :D

To be continued,

Ray

You are all over it!!!!

One big motivator for me is my RRR build thread - it makes you think about getting something done. And the cheering section doesn't hurt either.

looks good!

suggestion: Why not take 2 pieces of the round heavy wall pipe and graft it into the first crossmemeber? That way you can slide the exhaust through it and still keep the strength needed for the tortion bar mounts. I understand that it is just my personal pet peeve to see exhasut run under everything as an after thought. But the cab is off, it is open, and could be knocked out in a day![;)[P

thats lookin great..I like the idea of running the exhaust thru cutouts in the front crossmember, that would sure enough tuck the exhaust

looks good!

suggestion: Why not take 2 pieces of the round heavy wall pipe and graft it into the first crossmemeber? That way you can slide the exhaust through it and still keep the strength needed for the tortion bar mounts. I understand that it is just my personal pet peeve to see exhasut run under everything as an after thought. But the cab is off, it is open, and could be knocked out in a day![;)[P

I agree... everythign is really tidy so far... you got my vote. This is one kool rig.

You are all over it!!!!

One big motivator for me is my RRR build thread - it makes you think about getting something done. And the cheering section doesn't hurt either.

Cheering section [S:confused: Looks to me like a bunch of people telling me what to do :rolleyes: .......

looks good!

thats lookin great..I like the idea of running the exhaust thru cutouts in the front crossmember, that would sure enough tuck the exhaust

I agree... everythign is really tidy so far... you got my vote. This is one kool rig.

....... I'm kidding of course :D I actually considered doing something in that area but I'm having trouble figuring out what's possible..... and what I'm willing to do. Remember what I said back on page 12 when I took the cab off to fix two holes in the floor and a cab mount :rolleyes::eek:

..... I was young and dumb,..........now I'm just old and in a hurry.....

So give me a minute, I'm think'n, I'm think'n
Thanks guys, in the end I'll have a better ride as a result of your input..... I know you guys will hold me to a higher standard than I will :D

Stay tuned,

Ray

So, I'm looking at further work on the exhaust/cross member thing and here's what I'm running into. the floor of the cab sits very close to this cross member and it would also be crowding the bung where the torsion bars mount so I only have room for about a 4 inch piece of pipe.
This piece measures 4" inside...

Exhaustdecision-4inchpipethruxmemberLarge.jpg

I think this would be doable but it would make the exhaust end up very close to the transmission pan.

Drivers side....

Exhaustdecision-closetotranspanleftLarge.jpg

Passengers side....

ExhaustdecisionclosetotranspanrightLarge.jpg

Too close, I don't know?? Movement probably wouldn't be an issue because I have solid motor mounts but heat ?? I could possibly build a shield?
Also, as it sits now the exhaust is in the way of putting a hole through the cross member so if I go that route I will have to redo my exhaust immediately. And with already having a complete, albeit low :eek: exhaust system, I'd rather get the truck drivable first and work the bugs out of it before redoing the exhaust...........I know, back to the "young and dumb/old and in a hurry" thing :rolleyes:

So, I'm considering a C-notch instead...

Exhaustdecision-halfmoonnotchinsteadmaybeLarge.jpg

This would allow me to continue and still have room to get the exhaust up later. It would probably still hang out the bottom just a little but would be a good 2-1/2" higher than it is now....

Exhaustdecision-bendhereforhalfmoonnotchLarge-1.jpg

I don't know if this method would cause any structural problems or not? The cross member is boxed (with the exception of the "too freakin big of a hole I cut for the trans mount bolt") but it's not an especially heavy gauge. I would probably add a plate like this with a more reasonable access hole for the trans mount....

Exhaustdecision-stiffnerLarge.jpg

And I could add a gusset like this...

Exhaustdecision-gussetornotLarge.jpg

.....or this wold probably be better

Exhaustdecision-orthis.jpg

...but I'd probably make it out of steel rather than a green onion bag LOL

So, let me know what you all think. Got a bunch of yard work to do this afternoon but I'm gonna do something with it tonight.

To be continued,

Ray

Decided to go for the C-notch [;)

Marked the passenger side and cut it out.......looks like a drunk beaver chewed it out:eek:

230C-notchingcrossmemberLarge.jpg

Cut a piece of pipe, split it and clamped it in place..

232readytoweldLarge.jpg

Welded it up.......

235pipeweldedinpasssideLarge.jpg

......and checked it for fit with a piece of exhaust pipe

236checkingexhaustfitLarge.jpg

The notch will allow the exhaust to tuck up nicely without getting too close to the tranny and even though it will hang a little below the cross member it is still no lower than the torsion bar adjustment bolts. I believe with this set up it could take a pretty hard drag and still not mash the exhaust shut. Not the neatest work but it feels very solid and I'm pleased with it........hope to do the other side tomorrow night.

To be continued,

Ray

My thoughts exactly! I like it! the notch was all you needed. Nice work. [;) [cl

......maybe get a stoned badger to do the other side[ddev

Thanks for the tip Skull! The 'Badger' and I went to work on the other c-notch tonight and it went a little smoother. Had a new cutting wheel on tonight.......last night I was using up a bunch of worn out ones, you know...wearing them down to the nub :D

238Driversidec-notchLarge.jpg

....welded in the pipe section

239weldingupdriverssideLarge.jpg

ray your welds on that c notch dont look to bad [;)

Thanks man, not too awfully shabby I guess but why didn't someone tell me welding upside down is a PITA ! LOL

241driversidec-notchweldedLarge.jpg

242c-notchesinreadytocleanupLarge.jpg

So there you have it, c-notches are in and now I can get back to priming and painting [cl

Great documenting - your build thread kicks butt.

Thank you kindly Sam, hope I'm not spewing too much commentary and posting too many pics............after all I'm here to entertain...cause I sure as heck can't teach anyone here anything :eek::D

To be continued,

Ray

Latest posts

Back