'56 Ford Club Sedan Mild Custom

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Ford moved out of the garage into the paint room so I can do the sanding, minor bodywork, etc. before shooting the sealer. At least in here I don't have to worry about stray oil and other contaminants (at least not as much).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180817_134604[1].jpg
    20180817_134604[1].jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 89
I guess I'm done trashing to get ready for the big local show...the used 302 just started hammering when I started it to check belt tension. I cant afford to rebuild it, and hate to take a chance with another junkyard engine. I guess I need to go back to work for awhile....Jeez, what a drag.

That Sucks

Sorry about the engine, be there,done that. The car is looking good! [cl
As i recall your work isn't to hard, but still[S

Last winter, i built a food truck from scratch, and rebuilt a taco wagon this Spring. I may be able to do some more of that. I also have some signs to paint, and will be running a bin piler during potato harvest for two or three weeks. I was hoping to put all that off until the car was on the road, but stuff happens.

Last winter, i built a food truck from scratch, and rebuilt a taco wagon this Spring. I may be able to do some more of that. I also have some signs to paint, and will be running a bin piler during potato harvest for two or three weeks. I was hoping to put all that off until the car was on the road, but stuff happens.
And I was thinking about writing another book. :D

Well, my diagnosis was apparently wrong. The noise cleared up, leaving us to believe that a chunk of carbon was the culprit, caused by the engine sitting for a couple of years, then a series of startups and short cycles of heat, followed by cooling and more sitting. At least that's the most rational explanation, seeing as how it sounded like someone was beating on the block one day, out of the blue, then clearing up and sounding fine two days later after two or three short periods of operation.

Whatever it was, it seems to be gone. the engine sounds fine. So the thrash is back on, after wasting a couple of days. We got the rear window and new gasket installed last night (those ninety-degree corners are kind of a bear!) and I'm back on bodywork and priming today. I have eight days, and will probably enter the car in the big show as "under construction", so it may make its debut without all the interior.

I took a picture as I left the shop at 10:30 last night...was too tired to even go turn the lights back on. I'm really glad to see the curved chunk of glass where it belongs, with no breaks or cracks. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180822_223936[1].jpg
    20180822_223936[1].jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Good deal on the engine. I don't install gasketed glass. You get extra credit for doing so. The car is coming along really well. Love the selfie after sanding. If you're single you should use that pic on a dating service. "Single Bodymen.com"

Add my congratulations about the engine as well.[cl :cool: :D
One of the first things I learned working in body shops as a youngster was installing glass.
We always used lots of lube(Murphys oil soap) on glass that had the rubber gaskets.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Maybe I'll just clear it... :D This morning, I'll prime the whole car, then wet sand the whole thing, fix anything I can't live with, then apply a coat of sealer. If I don't get all of that done today, I'll probably get it in sealer by tomorrow. Then I have four days to install the trim, interior, etc. before the big (600+ cars) show on Friday/Saturday. Good thing I told them it's "under construction".

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180825_164927[1].jpg
    20180825_164927[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 54
Well, it's in primer. I got a little sloppy and made some runs, so I'm going to wait until morning to wet sand it in preparation for sealer. While it was drying, I started putting in interior panels and door & window handles. Whoever made the panels got the holes in the wrong places, so I has to spend a couple hours making the first one fit. Now I know what to do on the rest. It's par for the course with this car...whoever started it made a mess of everything they touched. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180826_161513[1].jpg
    20180826_161513[1].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180826_204259[1].jpg
    20180826_204259[1].jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back