Fire over yonder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

As many of you know, fire season has been rough this summer. Especially for the folks out in the Shasta area of California and up in BC Canada. We've had I think 3 of them burning around here for the last several weeks. Last Wednesday the "Silver Creek" fire jumped the containment lines and flared up with some high winds. It's about 5 miles south on Buffalo Park Rd off US Hwy 40, Rabbit Ears pass. That's about 18 miles from Steamboat Springs.
attachment.php

Yesterday I snapped another photo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4456.jpg
    IMG_4456.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 74
I hate to see smoke in the distance like that. That is one thing around here that scares me the most. Hope it stays in the distance!

Here's an observation. We in Alberta were just down wind from the BC fires. The last two weeks of August were as dark as I've ever seen it. Anyway, all of the plants need to feel the sun more than they did so they just sat there not progressing through there seasonal changes. Our field crops are not ripe yet and the lawn grass is a very nice green. The biggest surprise is the deciduous tree leaves are also still mostly very nice green. Usually by now the leaves have been yellow for two weeks and sometimes they've already blown off. That smoke really set us back in time.

I took some pictures today of my late fall greenery. You'll notice in the shop side picture there's a wee bit of snow. Well, not only have we got green leaves, we had about 5" of wet heavy snow a few days ago. That made a real mess of the farmers crops.
The smoke in the air in late August set everything back in time.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 15
A very good question OI. The ash probably has a potassium compound in it that plants need and we were already adding that into our fertilizer blends for years now. If you think of fertilizer as plant [groceries] you will like the idea better and so will the narrow minded hippies that you tell this to. Oh, I almost swivelled off on a rant. Anyhow, the ash sure won't hurt.

We had the biggest fire in Texas in 2011 just 30 miles from the ol Tripper's place... it burned 34K+ acres & the scars can still be seen to this day... luckily we were not affected! We've also had a couple of smaller fires recently that really get people on edge. One day during one of the smaller fires that was about 15 miles away from us, the wind started blowing in our direction & for a few hours we had to stay inside to avoid the smoke, luckily the wind shifted & the smoke blew away. It's definitely scary stuff looking out & seeing a fire moving your way.

BoB

Latest posts

Back