1948 Thriftmaster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really dont understand the logic of the feet inches or F`s.... I also dont understand why you guys dont understand metric and C`s... :p

1 meter = 3.28083989501 feet ... [S

3.28083989501 feet = 39 3/8 inch...??? wth :eek:

1mm x 10 = 1 cm (the socket you wish you could find)
1cm x 10 = 1 dm
1dm x 10 is 1 meter

1 inch is 2.54 cm or 25.4 mm

sheetmetal 1mm thick = 19 gauge
2mm thick = twice that
1.5 is right inbetween.... :D

easy... :cool::D

I really dont understand the logic of the feet inches or F`s.... I also dont understand why you guys dont understand metric and C`s... :p

1cm x 10 = 1 dm
1dm x 10 is 1 meter

2mm thick = twice that

At least the originators of the system used the kings foot as the basis of the system. Could have been worse. [ddd

He said millimeters are more accurate than a sixteenth. Hmmm... I understand a mm is smaller than a sixteenth, but I failed to understand the logic... you're either on the mark, or the next one over.

Technically his statement is false and incomplete. More accurate? No. More precise? It depends on what you're comparing the millimeter to. It is more precise than a sixteenth because a sixteenth is 58% larger than a millimeter, so the resolution of your measurement is larger with millimeters. If you're comparing to 32nd's, then the conversation changes.

1cm x 10 = 1 dm
1dm x 10 is 1 meter

2mm thick = twice that

As someone who learned both systems and uses both systems with work, the metric system is the superior system. That said, my brain typically works in inches and feet, and it's easier for me to visualize in that unit system. However, when doing math and calculations, metric is superior and easier to recognize mistakes.

Project's lookin' good Bill!!!

I should have the same amt of sockets for all sizes but... somehow I have 3-4 10mm & zero 11mm/12mm... go figure! They're probably in one of my missing socks! [S

BoB

Technically his statement is false and incomplete. More accurate?

Clearly, he had his head up his a$$. If you're on the mm mark and I'm on the sixteenth mark, both measurements are accurate and precise. I didn't waste my breath arguing 32nds and 64ths with a person "programmed" to think and read in whole millimeters. (Ignorance can be cured... Stupid is forever.)

Most of the time the preciseness is negated when you cut or bend anyway or else no one would have invented the grinder, lathe, milling machine, etc. :D

Clearly, he had his head up his a$$. If you're on the mm mark and I'm on the sixteenth mark, both measurements are accurate and precise. I didn't waste my breath arguing 32nds and 64ths with a person "programmed" to think and read in whole millimeters. (Ignorance can be cured... Stupid is forever.)

Precise is repeatability. You're more likely to be repeatable with a finer measurement range (less space between marks). When you're building something like cabinets, as long as you're using the same measuring device for all your measurements (pre and in-process), it really doesn't matter how accurate it is. You just want the measurements to be repeatable in that case (precise). If you're using more than one measuring device, then accuracy matters.

Unfortunately many people say things like that fellow did and are just unaware of what they're saying.

No worries boys, it's all in good fun! I'm working away at final welding of the transmission and motor mounts. Awfully hot in the shop but it's better than yard work !

P.S. Twenty some years ago, I was collaborating with a cabinet maker and he wanted measurements in millimeters. I asked, why? He said millimeters are more accurate than a sixteenth. Hmmm... I understand a mm is smaller than a sixteenth, but I failed to understand the logic... you're either on the mark, or the next one over.

I am a cabinetmaker who uses the metric system.

Our CNC gear is accurate to 0.01mm. However, my eyes are only accurate to about 2mm :D

Painted the frame

It was a little hot yesterday, but I managed to paint the frame anyway. 2 coats of DOM16 (POR equivalent, only cheaper) and 2 coats of acrylic enamel. I had the enamel leftover from a previous job so I opted to put that on top of the rust paint. Turned out real nice but wow am I ever out of shape....my arm was shaking and now I can hardly lift it! I forgot how heavy a spray gun is :).

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190713_124728.jpg
    thumbnail_20190713_124728.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_20190713_124747.jpg
    thumbnail_20190713_124747.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_20190713_124840.jpg
    thumbnail_20190713_124840.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 34
:D :D [cl [cl :cool: :cool:
I hear you on the arm. The last one I painted was a few years ago and luckily it was just some small panels.:eek:
Back when I was team pistol shooting I used to pick up the pistol everyday and just hold it in my shooting stance to keep that set of muscle in shape.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back