1928 maxwell/hybrid rat rod drag car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been wondering the same but if you look at the throttlecable grommet ,it looks to be tilted on the edge of a plate. Also on the lower edge of the picture next to the bolt you can see this concave shape where you look at the side of the rivet. you cant see the centre, I dont think that would be like that looking at wrap foil..? [S

The reason I was thinking wrap is, every rivet is super clean with a black looking hole and no broken off pull studs are showing anywhere.
A fella I know here is in the wrapping business and I've seen some pretty convincing wraps.
Maybe someone can shine some light on this [P

If the wrap is done with quality material they can be done very clean and convincing. I have seen the done very well and very bad.It looks good what ever it is

The reason I was thinking wrap is, every rivet is super clean with a black looking hole and no broken off pull studs are showing anywhere.
A fella I know here is in the wrapping business and I've seen some pretty convincing wraps.

To me it looks like airbrushing. You can see a big difference in the depth of the one metal plate on the side of the cowl, and don't see it with all the "riveted" plates. I definitely think it's artwork, and think it's airbrushing because of the imperfectness of the rivets.

You could replicate it with real plates, but it would be a ton of work and may look a little bit goofy in my opinion. Looking at this one, if they really had 4 overlapping plates in some areas it would be really thick.

this one looks done in copper/brass style & l was thinking doing some along the same lines in sheetmetal or aluminum.

Skull, this one's in Houston's Art Car Museum! It's really something in person!!!

BoB

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 39
neet

l probally won't get so radical as they did on that cowl, still like the look though, about a 1/4 of the rivits is what l am thinkin' right now, of course, subject to change.

neet car trip, thanks

Later:cool:

Last edited:

Convincing vinyl wraps over fiberglass/carbon fiber...

ba6213d9f8de08f807faa701e5333fb2.jpg

8a7c6a9f225b9c9c72651da9d5e45008.jpg

adaytona.jpg

To me it looks like airbrushing. You can see a big difference in the depth of the one metal plate on the side of the cowl, and don't see it with all the "riveted" plates. I definitely think it's artwork, and think it's airbrushing because of the imperfectness of the rivets.

I agree. It's definitely artwork, but could still be a vinyl wrap... somebody has to create the artwork in order to create a vinyl wrap...

I agree. It's definitely artwork, but could still be a vinyl wrap... somebody has to create the artwork in order to create a vinyl wrap...

For sure. To me it just looks more like airbrush. A lot of the consumer-affordable vinyl wraps are done with much less detail than the ones you posted.

Either way, I think if the riveting and plates were done for real it would look a whole lot different. Might need to notch the backs of some of the plates so you don't get too much of a mountainous look going on. It would definitely take some trial and error.

steering/cowl mock up

started working the steering/cowl mock up today,

we have to move the column up about 3 inches, taking out the non-tilt & putting in the tilt for ease of getting in/out of this thing.

found some aluminim to start fabbing on the fire wall/cowl area. a little heating and bending and all the fun stuff that goes with making something not intended for what is gonna end up being.

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 24
fabber changed my mind

fabber changed my mind, said we have the big block marine 454 chey, 35Ohp,
48O fpt, that outta rock it down the track.

mocked it today.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 53
bored so l drug it out

at a stand still on the other projects due to things l can't change right now,--so if one isn't getting done, switch gears and work on the the drag car.

changed my mind on the big doors and mocked up smaller and lighter aluminum ones today.

we are going to shorten the rear bars and move the fender closer to the doors to clean up the body lines and fit the wheel wells a little more centered.

the 1928 cowl is also staying.

gonna stick the rear wing on just because l want to:D .

Later :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 39
in progress, slow though---shortened the rear roll bar and moved the QT up, lots of finish work, cowl, filling the cowl/side where it meets the doors, fire wall,,fun fun fun --this by far will be the ugliest rat l ever built......

Attachments

• drag car8.jpg
    drag car8.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 30
  • drag car5.jpg
    drag car5.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 24
  • drag car3.jpg
    drag car3.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: