'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam, That's a big job you've tackled and it looks like you are doing a fine job. It good that you have no "Fear".:D

No pics today, but I got my transmission home today - Yay! Set it down in for a test fit. Looks like I can re-use the Cutlass driveshaft without a problem. I'm gonna finish up the trunk area enough to set my air tank in. I'm sick of it sitting on the ground in the way.

I think I've just about got the section and chop lines figured out too. But that is for next year...

Got my trunk as done as I can fer now. Haven't figured out how to deal with the wheel tubs yet. Placed my air tank for mock up. Perfect fit. Next up - tranny mount and floor pans. Oh the heart is what I fabbed up for my wife on V-day.

Attachments

• IMGP5176c.jpg
    IMGP5176c.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Untitled-1heart.jpg
    Untitled-1heart.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 137
Man -things have been moving slow. I was 1/2 sick for about 2 weeks. Did manage to do the trans and motor mounts. Finally got a couple of productive days. Spent several days sitting on a bucket trying to figure out the floor. Then bam, and it all started to come together.

I'm using minimal framing for the floor. 1/8th square tube for under the seats and the rest is .120 wall. The pans under the seat area is more of the diamond plate - since I don't have seats yet, I figure that will give me leway for placement. The foot area is truck bed - front will be the same but run the other direction. The rest will be regular sheet metal.

Attachments

• floorframe.jpg
    floorframe.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 149
  • floorpans.jpg
    floorpans.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 155
Ya just can't get too much diamond plate. It sends a 'message'--don't know what it sez, but it talks!.

I especially like the rockers..

PA41

I'm not sure you could have found anything more difficult to build. I can't imagine welding up the body if you section it. What is that, maybe half a mile of weld? The chop will be a lot, too. How are you going to do weld the chop and section? Torch TIG MIG?

Great build, thanks for showing it.

Thanks for the motivation fellas. I do like to sink then swim.

I'm not sure you could have found anything more difficult to build. I can't imagine welding up the body if you section it. What is that, maybe half a mile of weld? The chop will be a lot, too. How are you going to do weld the chop and section? Torch TIG MIG?

Great build, thanks for showing it.

Well, the section and chop will (hopefully) be next winters project - I think the way I have it figured, they'll need to be done at the same time. As for welding it all up, I'll probably take it slow and MIG it. I just now, finally, am getting to the point where I can lay a nice bead more often than not. I have thought about getting O/A and hammer welding. We'll see.

Well, still working hat the floor. I made a pretty panel for the passenger side lower firewall last week. Took some brass rod, bent it a little bit, taped to the panel and beat it with a mallet. Moved it and did it a couple more times. I thought it turned out pretty good.

As for the floor, it's turned into a mishmash of left overs! I dropped the floor pan about 3" on the drivers side. I figure when I start loosing headroom I'm gonna need the extra space. The pedal area is gonna be a little cramped for my big boots, but I guess hot rodders have dealt with that one since the begining! Glad I'm usung an auto.

Attachments

• floor2.jpg
    floor2.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 284
  • floor3.jpg
    floor3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 137
That panel came out better than my HF bead roller. Shoulda' saved my $$$ and bought a mallet!

Thank's for the photos
(Followed your signature link and added my build to my signature we'll see if it works. If so, thanks.)

Thanks for the motivation fellas. I do like to sink then swim.

Well, the section and chop will (hopefully) be next winters project - I think the way I have it figured, they'll need to be done at the same time. As for welding it all up, I'll probably take it slow and MIG it. I just now, finally, am getting to the point where I can lay a nice bead more often than not. I have thought about getting O/A and hammer welding. We'll see.

My advice on welding the chop and section is to get all the old rusty sheet metal you can and practice, practice, practice. On my truck the old metal got very thin in some areas; it took a lot of heat ajustment. Also, start collecting copper sheet to back the joints up while you weld - usually easier said than done unless you have some very deep clamps. You can use sheet metal screws to hold the copper in place - then you have to weld up the holes.

DJ3100 -
It's not the welding part as much as where to split it that is gonna be tough on the chop. I'm getting pretty good at painting with a MIG on paper thin steel!

Thanks for reminding me about the copper idea, I've got a few spots right now that would come in handy.

I photo chopped the F2, took pics, printed them and cut and taped.

But for something as complicated as the Olds I'd look for a model I could cut up. There probably isn't one, my fallback position would be a lump of clay and or foam, model the body, then slice it up.

You sure you need to wait until next winter? I don't know if I can wait that long to see how it comes out.

If you guys keep telling me this is difficult, I might realize it is!

DJ - I've constantly got the chop/section in the back of my mind and am slowly working it out. I've got some time yet.

But for now, I wanna get it on the street! Got more floor done. Did the trans hump with 2 sections cut from the Cutlass roof I saved. Trimmed it to slide in position, traced it out with a marker, cut and weld. Not perfectly even, but it looks good. Used the rest of the roof for the rear driveshaft cover. Truck bed sides for the middle part. I was running out of metal, so I grabbed the Ranger roof from a scrap guy going through the alley! :D I think that may work for the rear seat area.

Need to figure out my steering linkage. Think I'm gonna get a trailer fender for the rear wheel wells. And bought some block hugger headers - exhaust is a whole nother thing - I gotta have a crossover and pan sits only 1" off the ground when slammed.

Attachments

• IMGP5400.jpg
    IMGP5400.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGP5418.jpg
    IMGP5418.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGP5419.jpg
    IMGP5419.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMGP5420.jpg
    IMGP5420.jpg