'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I better update. No pics, just been getting little stuff done. Brake lines, doors back on, etc. Still trying to get a power steering hose figured out - I've been on a scavenger hunt all over the cities. In the meantime, I've been working on fender/front clip placement so I can figure where to put the radiator. Starting to look like a derelict car again. :D I'll have to post a few pics later.

Yard work and real life are starting to get in the way - man, I hate that...

Went ahead and put the front clip on today to figure out a few things. Still need to get it lined up better, and put a frame crossmember in to bolt to, but I've got a plan now. Kinda concerned as to how I'm going to fit a radiator in there. [S

Looks good on the ground. I'm afraid the front wheels are a bit far forward - nothing I can't live with though...

Attachments

• clip1.jpg
    clip1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 146
  • clip3.jpg
    clip3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 124
  • clip4.jpg
    clip4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 134
  • clip2.jpg
    clip2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 143
Hey, just looked over your build, looking very cool. Almost the same thing I went thru on my 47 Packard with the frame swap and floor re-creation. Lotsa work but it's going to be a unique, bada$$ ride !

Thanks guys. I need to update I guess. Not much picture worthy yet. Ran fuel line. Hooked up my power steering hoses. Figured out where my radiator is gonna go.

Moved it 10 ft out of the garage UNDER IT'S OWN POWER!!!! [cl Yep, had it running and moving - brakes didn't wanna stop it though! Kinda rigged the ignition and throttle (no, I won't go into detail). The 350 sounds strong.

Progress is going to slow down aftewr this weekend though - I have to replace the eaves and fascia on the house - among other non-car things .... dang it. :(

Well, I've moved it out of the shop a few times now - let it get rained on yesterday to wash off all the dust. Got the right P/S belt on it so about the only mechanical must I need is the brake booster hose. Still need to hook up a gas pedal. Oh, and an exhaust - open block hugger headers are a little loud in the drivers seat!

Took a good look at it outside. I can't live with the wheels so far forward - that'll have to get fixed.

Attachments

• nside.jpg
    nside.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 137
I also the think the rear wheels need to move back a little. Looking good! :cool:

Yep. I'm gonna have to shift the whole body forward about 1-1/2". I could never get a good visual of it in the garage, so I just hoped for the best. The firewall is gonna be the only real work.

Yep. I'm gonna have to shift the whole body forward about 1-1/2". I could never get a good visual of it in the garage, so I just hoped for the best. The firewall is gonna be the only real work.

If'in it were me, I would just slice the rear fender lip off and slide it forward a little. Less work to do that than move the whole body. if you move tha body then the front wheels wont line up right. Just my $.02

I think the fronts look fine--the rears--thats what fender skirts are for..

You got kids Sam? That thing would be a rolling party with 3-4 kids and a couple dogs..

Sweet looking rat--nuthin but fun..

PA41

Nope - the whole body has to move. The front wheel is off too - it's just turned a little and doesn't show it well in the pic. Besides the firewall, mostly it's just drilling new holes for the body mount bolts. I may even leave it until this winter when I cut it all up. I'll need to keep it in mind when mounting the bumpers though...

I'll have to post a pic of the front view - serious camber issues when the bags are locked up. Nothing that the donk guys haven't already dealt with, but just another small hurdle.

Latest posts

Back