Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Ford Engines

Ford Engines Ford engine talk & Q&A

Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
All the symptoms tell me you have a vacuum leak.
Intake manifold gaskets, carb base gaskets, a vacuum line unplugged, a bad vacuum modulator or something you're overlooking.
I agree.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:27 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
All the symptoms tell me you have a vacuum leak.
Intake manifold gaskets, carb base gaskets, a vacuum line unplugged, a bad vacuum modulator or something you're overlooking.
Have you tried spraying a little carb cleaner around the intake area while running to see if the idle picks up or changes?
Old 09-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

After spraying starting fluid all around the intake, carb, and blocking all vacuum ports, it looks like the carb spacer is not sealing. One spot when I spray it dies, does it every time. Going to get new gaskets or make some and try again.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

If you have an adapter under the carb make sure it seal if not get a steel plate that goes between the adapter and the manifold.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:07 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

No adapter, I have a stock fiber looking spacer about 3/8" thick, not even sure where it came from or why I used it. I've got another one, not quite as thick that looks unused, maybe it's the one that came with the carb, I dunno. May just use it with a gasket top and bottom.

I think I may have found my water leak on the passenger side, it's either the freeze plug in the end of the head has a pinhole in it, or the head gasket has went away on the corner. Alternator bracket covers the freeze plug, so I'm gonna try to get it running first before I tackle the leak....
cause if the trannys no good, it all has to come back out anyway.....
Old 09-29-2019, 10:52 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I suggest you "true" the spacer before you replace the gaskets and reassemble. Chances are good, the spacer isn't dead flat on either mating surface, carb to spacer on the top, spacer to intake on the bottom.

Back when we were running a fuel funny car, our blower to manifold seal was a large perimeter o-ring. No gasket otherwise and the tolerance was small between manifold and blower, something like .009, however, spread over a much larger footprint than a four barrel carburetor...

Anyhow, out of necessity, we carried a low-tech hand operated surfacer. It was nothing more than a slab of machined aluminum plate with a pair of handles attached. Glued to the plate was a common sheet of 80 grit emery cloth. A little machinist's blue and a few strokes would tell. A few incidents proved the tool and method accurate, repeatable and good enough for 54 pounds of boost.

Dumb and memory challenged as I am, I somehow retained a few things from days gone by. I've "trued" a few surfaces using the lessons learned above... I've glued a sheet of emery cloth to my table saw's (machined flat) table and sanded the piece fore, aft, left, right, 45 left and 45 right until the rattle can paint disappeared. Low tech for sure, but flat as can be without visiting the machine shop...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 09-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Well, that was a waste of time. New carb gaskets, different spacer, torqued intake bolts again to be sure, same $hit. Did manage to take the choke off, but still won't idle below 2000 rpm. Retarded timing a bit, no help. The sob may sit there and run 30 minutes at 2000 rpm, then again it might shut off after one minute. Tried backing off the idle speed screw, as soon as it gets below 2000, it quits. Never had one fight me this bad.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Take a few pics of the engine and carb at different angles and post them so we can see what you've got.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

OK, put my Rochester 2bbl on, getting the same results. Looking now toward the HEI. Is it even possible that it could work above 2000 rpm, but be dead below that? I thought they either worked or didn't? Could be the module bad I guess.....
May try my points distributor again. Can't be much worse.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I also wonder if that's possible... do you have a weak battery and the voltage is too low, until the alternator spins up and joins in? That would make some kind of sense, I suppose...

Grasping at straws... does the distributor body ground properly at the hold down clamp? Good motor to chassis ground? Are your mechanical advance weights stuck "open"?

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing