A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This body doesn't say fat tires to me either. But you might change my mind before you are done.

You make it look so easy. [cl

It's unanimous, old timey it is. It will be unchanneled, riding kinda high. With narrow steel wheels. A fenderless jalopy, like you might see in the 30's or 40's.
Today I drove a hunnert miles west to pick up a 4.2 liter Jeep engine. Bought it hoping it would have the correct crankshaft for a 4.0 liter stroker engine build. And it does. Put a 4.2 crank in a 4.0 block with a .030 overbore and viola, 280 cu.in. Should be good for 300HP and high 10's in a short old style "rail Job".

Attachments

• right crank 002.jpg
    right crank 002.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 39
I whipped up a stanchion today. It's made from 14 ga. sheet metal. Three pieces welded together. Still have more grinding and sanding. Then trim it to fit the cowl. Picked up the metal to make the windshield frame yesterday.

I found the correct cylinder head for the Jeep engine that will go in the dragster that resides in my imagination. Hopefully will pick it up, with the whole engine and trans, this weekend. Everything I get for this engine is a hundred miles from home.

Attachments

• first stanshion 002.jpg
    first stanshion 002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 36
  • first stanshion 003.jpg
    first stanshion 003.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 32
  • first stanshion 004.jpg
    first stanshion 004.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 31
  • first stanshion 001.jpg
    first stanshion 001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 37
You have a great eye for style and proportion, over and over and over again. [cl

Just curious... why three separate sources to collect Jeep parts? I understand the stroker crank, but what's special about the cylinder head?

Ok Bob, what all are you picking up for that Jeep engine?:confused:

Like your project wheel & tire idea[cl

What trans are you thinking of for the jeep motor?[S

Just curious... why three separate sources to collect Jeep parts? I understand the stroker crank, but what's special about the cylinder head?

.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dr. C. I just try to keep it simple. I don't have a lot of tools so I look for designs that are easy to fabricate.

I watched a You Tube video on building a 300hp 4.0 stroker Jeep engine.
First engine I bought has the best block, but has a smog head with tiny exhaust ports and crappy rods.
Second engine, a 4.2, was for the crankshaft. There's two different cranks and it had the good one. Also got an aftermarket HEI that was almost new. It has the good (long, strong) rods too. The 4.2 head is also junk performance-wise.Don't know if it fits a 4.0.
The engine I'll be getting has the desirable head with good ports and is not prone to cracking.
The head has 58 cc chambers, 1.91 intakes and 1.50 exhausts. Pretty good valve size. If the engine was a V8 is would be 373 cu. in. Each cylinder is 47 cu. in. so it could use bigger valves. But port size is the limiting factor so there's no benefit in bigger valves without a lot of port enlargement.
I like port velocity more than port volume. A little bowl clean up and call it good.
Oops, I'm rambling on.

Thanks for the tutorial on Jeep engines.bob :cool: :cool: :cool:
We've got crap loads of them around me but I won't know one from the other. "It's a Jeep Thing."
Torchie

a 300hp jeep inline will have more than that for torque! [cl[cl

this little body is going to do aerial barrel rolls off the line.

The Jeep motor detail sound real good. I agree that the valve size is great for a factory motor. Sure with a little head port work this will be a sound 300 HP motor. Bob in your mind do you think max 160" chassis? What trans will work out for this jeep motor? Can you run a built PG? May have to take some timing out with race setup to keep it in the 10's. What carb setup & intake manifold are you looking to run?

Like I may have said before a buddy of mine ran with us in Bakersfield, CA with a 160" FMD with a basic stock SBC 327, PG, Injected on alcohol (for Cooling) that would run 10.0-10.25 all day & not hurt any parts. A real fun / re-liable old school FMD.

I'm pretty interested in how much power can be made with a mild stroker Jeep engine. We'll see, Tom. Thinking of 125" wheelbase on the dragster rattling around in my mind. Probably same carbs and set up that is on the 300" Ford in the present dragster. With an adapter I can run a Powerglide.

There's still more work to be done on the stanchions and windshield frame. Here's what it looks like tacked and taped in place. Got some gaps to resolve and a few more pieces to weld in place.

It's kinda tall but that is the plan as this build is supposed to look like a 40's-50's hot rod. Not a modern adaption of one. Nothing too radical.

Attachments

• ws frame almost 002.jpg
    ws frame almost 002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
  • ws frame almost 003.jpg
    ws frame almost 003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 42
  • ws frame almost 004.jpg
    ws frame almost 004.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 44
  • ws frame almost 001.jpg
    ws frame almost 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 50
  • ws frame almost 005.jpg
    ws frame almost 005.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 44
Looks great, the body proportion is different enough than the typical A that people will wonder, what is that[S And don't need to tell them [ddd

Latest posts

Back