Speedway tax

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

Anyone else get a letter from speedway showing all purchases and dates for 2017, saying state tax hasn’t been paid on the purchases?

Being a letter, it may be real. An e-mail I would be more suspicious of. I would still verify before sending any money.

Nope, I’m in Colorado. Everything they have listed for purchases is correct, as far as amount and dates. So it’s a legit letter, it’s not like a 1099 or a typical tax form. I’m just wondering if they actually have reported it to the state or just notifying to cover themselves.

I would not send them a dime, not your fault they didn't collect sales tax when you bought it.

I had a distributor, call me and tell me 2 days after shipping something that they forgot to charge me for the shipping. They wanted my card number so they could charge me. I told them it wasn't my fault they can't do their jobs correctly

me and speedway

never had to pay sales taxes here till the GREEDY D"S got control of the govm't
in my state, speedway charges me every time, never missed on making sure the state gets their share of my wallet:(

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Sounds fishy to me.

If I buy something from Speedway, Summit or whomever... the taxes are paid when the goods are landed, and I'm in the country next door!

Last edited:
If your state charges for internet sales Speedway should have collected for them. Sounds like a scam to me. You should probably contact management at Speedway.

What he said!!! Luckily we don't have state tax here in Tejas! :D

Speedway collects sales tax but not state tax!

BoB

I've heard of summit doing this to a couple of friends. I have yet to here if the state was notified. I haven't been sent any thing yet. I do know if an online store has a retail outlet in my state I will get charged sales tax. I wouldn't mind paying sales tax if I felt I was getting my moneys worth.

I looked into it a bit more and it’s legit. It’s a Colorado thing I guess, and speedway did what they were supposed to do by sending that letter. I will say I never noticed a disclaimer at check out saying anything about possibly having to pay the state tax at checkout. It is what it is I guess, and not a big deal for the most part. I think it will become a lot more common for others in different states as well if the company isn’t collecting the tax.

Now you tell me. I paid sales tax all the years I lived there. I wonder if I can send a letter out and get it all back?

they have sales tax, no state tax. i don't know if texas has a internet tax or not. i know i haven't paid no internet tax here in bama yet.

It goes with the section on your 1040 that asks if you made any out of state purchases you did not pay tax on. The paper they sent you just documents that, basically Speedway covering their ass.

But seriously, has anyone in the history of time ever said "yes" to that question? [S

tell them

Tell them "so pay it"

A state cannot sales tax anything exported to another state or passing through their state.
they can theoretically impose a VAT tax on anything produced in the state IF the state constitution provides for a VAT and the laws are there to enforce it.
we don't have a VAT in nebraska.

Legally speedway exported the merchandise to another state outside the jurisdiction of nebraska's authority.
Nebraska is going to make the case that since speedway has a presence in Nebraska and you bought through them you owe the tax as if you had actually traveled there in person.
You would be making the case that you never set foot in Nebraska (entered nebraska's jurisdiction) to buy from speedway and that you deem the sale to have occurred where YOU placed the order... Colorado.
Jurisdiction is a word that relates to a geographical land surface area defined within a border.
A body of a person is not a jurisdiction
an idea, concept, or practice is not a jurisdiction.
An imaginary place like "on the internet" is not a jurisdiction.
in other words...
tangible and intangible things are not the jurisdiction of the law
a geographical place is the jurisdiction-
tangible and intangible things, and actions come under the rule of law not because they are the jurisdiction of the law
but because they are IN or happen in the jurisdiction... meaning they are within or happen in the physical boundaries of land defined to be the jurisdiction of the law of that land...
if they exist or happen outside of that boundary...
they are not within the jurisdiction.
and "the flag does not follow"

Anyone else get a letter from speedway showing all purchases and dates for 2017, saying state tax hasn’t been paid on the purchases?

Now you didn't give much info but I'd gather that speedway is reporting your purchases to Colorado.
If Colorado has a sales and use tax then you'd owe Colorado tax.
Sales tax is for when you buy it in state retail
if you have a sales tax exemption you don't pay the tax when you buy it or sell it out of state... or sell to another with a sales tax exemption...
but when you sell it in state retail you collect the tax from the buyer and forward it to the state same as you do with collecting income tax from employees.
Speedway doesn't have the authority to collect Colorado sales tax from Nebraska so all they can do is report the sale to Colorado on their Nebraska. tax report so Nebraska doesn't make them pay it out of their own pockets...
and it's up to Colorado to collect the tax from you.
if you don't pay it they will most likely take it out of your state tax return.
otherwise they would collect on it the same way they would collect on unpaid income tax.

I forgot to note that USE tax for when you buy something taxable tax free but then use it instead of reselling it and collecting the tax from the buyer.
it's there so individuals and businesses don't abuse their sales tax exemption for their own purchases.

Last edited:
Sales tax

In Washington St. we have to pay sales tax on out of state purchases only if the vender has a physical presence in the state. Example is Amazon, if you buy something from a vender on Amazon and the supplier is out of state and shipped from out of state we pay sales tax because Amazons home is in Wa.

Latest posts

Back