Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Decisions...decisions

So, I have my Fairlane up for sale on a couple of places. Just trying to get back into a truck. Well, I had a guy text me locally who is wanting to do a steaight up trade , his 48 Ford F1 Deluxe with a 460 modified engine,and C6 out of a 69 Bird. Body has little surface rust , but no perforated anywhere. Body is very straight, with chrome bumper and other options that came in the Deluxe model. He told me that he hasn't started the motor in about a year, and that the fuel tank needs to be replaced. It is behind the seat , so I would most likely replace that anyway, and move it to the bed. The wood in the bed needs to be replaced. My car is ready for the road, and I drive it daily. He said he would get the motor started this weekend , so I can come look at it. I guess my biggest concern would be that tranny sitting for a while , and why it has been sitting for a year. The truck has just the right amount of patina that I most likely would not do anything to it, other than make some modifications. I plan on taking my compression gauge when I go look at it. It is setting on the original frame with stock rear/front end. ford f1.jpg
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Well, there's your truck...
Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

I would say the truck needs to be running and driving very well to trade for your car. Good luck with your decision.

"Paint is the Devil's way of hiding the truth" T1

https://www.facebook.com/RatRodAddic..._l-V7Q66UmjmNM
Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I wouldn't be concerned with the length of time the tranny was sitting.
I would look real close to how the engine and tranny were installed and the quality of the work.
Has the rear end been upgraded?
What do the tires look like and find the code to see what year they are. Tires have a manufacturer date stamped in the sidewall and will give up the ghost if they are too old.
Is the cash difference enough for you?
How many miles did he put on the truck before mothballing and why?
Is the kingpins worn out?
What type of brakes are on it?
The F1 is cool but, ultimately it is your decision.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Never met a beer he didn't like!

What Old Iron said ^^^ and I’d definitely want to drive it first! Good luck, cool looking truck!

Beercan
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Make a fair deal for yourself money wise. Plan on working on a truck some, because you'll never be really "done"...
Old 02-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Devil's Advocate

I'm always very wary of cars that have been "sitting", because there is usually a reason. Regardless, trading a daily for a project is only a wise move if the value is there. This is just an F-1, not a high dollar truck by any means. If it's what you really want, make sure it is actually worth it and not just an idea of what you want. Like Old Iron said, I would be taking a VERY close work at the work that has been done to this point. Lot of vehicles out there look neat on top but are a total sh*tshow underneath. Be careful!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

We've all seen your work. You're talented enough to fix whatever...just decide for sure if that's what you want to do. Can you not keep the Fairlane and build another RPU besides?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Yeah, I understand where all you guys are coming from. The first thing I planned to look at is the drive train , and if they used proper cross braces, and engine mounts are solid. The stock frame is what it is. I would most likely go in and beef it up and brace it real good for the torque monster that's in it. And, while I am in there , will most lekely drop it a few inches or so. The tires just need to get the truck on a trailer and to my shop. BUT, I am concerned as to why a truck like that has sat for any length of time. Once I get to the guys house I will have a lot better feel for why and the other issues I am concerned about. It is originally from California, and he says is rust free ,except for surface. But, you can bet I will be under that truck more than walking around it. My plan really is to sand the surface rust , leave the patina, shoot some clear flat on it, put steelies on it, modern brake system, and drive the hell out of it. If there is any hell in that truck , there won't be when I'm done with it. HAHAHA . Oh, and I may chop about 4" off that top to give it some character.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimpala View Post
We've all seen your work. You're talented enough to fix whatever...just decide for sure if that's what you want to do. Can you not keep the Fairlane and build another RPU besides?

I did not bond with the Fairlane like I thought I would. It's nice, it goes fast, but never did bond with it, if you know what I mean.