air bag front straight axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skwirl

anybody got design ideas or pics? I saw the Gas Monkey design on their 31 and thought it was really slick.

i will have pics up in about a day or so i have 2 dominator 2600 that are goin to replace what would be the mono leaf spring on the front of a suicide front end basically need two bags, top circle plates and a 3 in rear axle plates for the bottom then take the three inch with the round cut outs for the rear and lop it off so that each side is sqaure instead of round. take 2x3 frame rail and cut it to the size of the rear bottom bag mount fit to the place you like tack weld that piece the axle so that it will be directly directly under the two main frame rails not the crossmember very important( unless you want it a lil more on the inboard side it can be touchn the front cross some what but outbourd especially on the frame will give better lift and cause less twisttin on th rails)then take a drill find center on the tube and axle drill into both you need to go prob 3/4 to a half into the axle to make a locator pin pop pin in weld it to the tube, then weld bottom bag mount to the 2x3 making sure you are still able to get a wrench and a bolt in there other wise @$#%. take the top circle plate tack it in palce under frame and oviously you need to measure every center frame rail to frame rail and then axle side to side to get centers. make sure everything is where you like it pop your bags on bolt it up. then for axle control camber caster, buy a set of batwings, hairpin raidius rods and heim joint or poly and finsh the front end . like i said i will have pics posted soon of my builds so let me know

air bags

I have been trying to do this same thing and was planning on running a bar with a panhard rod, but i couldn't find any info so im running a transverse leaf now, its easyer and more old skool for sure. Plus it doesn't look so good having air bags out in open like that.:cool:

Donsrods son did it. I think his bags were hidden in the front crossmember. I thought that Don posted some photos of the setup before.

Yep, Bill is right. When my Son's car was a sedan he built a frame around a Cenpen front crossmember setup that has airbags in it. When it is installed you can't really tell their are bags inside it.

I think I have a picture or two of how he did it..............

Don

Here, these aren't great, but are all I have left.

dansoldfrontendsetup-1.jpg

dansoldfrontendsetup2.jpg

dansoldframe.jpg

If you can wait a little bit, I am designing a crossmember similar to the CenPen, with what I feel are improvements. They use a sleeve bag which does not like to articulate, which is what those bars will make it do, so the bag may wear out within a year or so. The sleeve bags also have a soft spring rate, and I fear it may be too soft since they are mounted with a leverage ratio, and a heavy motor would probably mean you have to drive higher to get a firm enough ride ot not bottom out. I am designign one that will look similar I guess, but use what I feel is a superior bag that should ride better, and probably be cheaper.

Latest posts

Back