The "new" Sears policy?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
99% of my hand tools are snap on...

Working in the dealerships I bought snap-on and never regreted it.... extra cash but paid for itself in the long run... I've got tools that are over 40 years old.....Local snap on guy has rebuilt a few of my rachets and one he couldn't he replaced with a rebuilt used.... works fine and I'm happy..as torchman said, got a rebuilt used for a broken used... same same... I've got a CP 1/2 air impact that still has an oil sump that you change the oil in it.... about 40 years old and rebuilt once about 15 years ago.... regarding the insurance issue: I took photos and a video of the garage, projects, cars and all of it's contents.... my wife's a CSR with the local insurance agency and she makes sure we have the right coverage... also carry a million dollar umbrella policy for my job.... just in case..... [ddev

I've got some SK stuff and like it, and they are real old. I think my favorite combination wrenches are MAC, they fit and feel nice in your hand and fit the bolt heads well too. Pretty thin for tight places also.

BTW, Ace Hardware has struck some deal with Sears to carry Craftsman tools now. They blew out all of their old wrenches and socket sets and now have exclusively Craftsman tools there. Wonder if they warranty the tools at Ace or if you have to visit Sears?

Don

I understand the feelings of used for used, but that's not the warranty offered when I made the original purchase. Now you get used whether you want that or not!

I suppose this is probably simply a business issue. Trying to get off as cheaply as they can by swapping refurbished tools but also think of the millions of people over the years that have taken advantage of Sears. Using a small screw driver as a pry bar or beating their ratchet with a hammer instead of using a breaker bar and then returning it when it broke. Worked with plenty of guys that did stuff like that and maybe have ruined it for the honest people.

My problem with the swap is that I didn't originally buy a used tool...but now I have one!

whaaaat...am i supposed to believe it broke brand new laying the tool box? lol just teasing

...Ace Hardware has struck some deal with Sears to carry Craftsman tools now. They blew out all of their old wrenches and socket sets and now have exclusively Craftsman tools there....

Don

BOOOO! The ace wrenches are beautiful to use and a work of art.
The difference between wielding Ace wrenches vs. craftsman is like shaking hands with a nevada doll over a couple hundred bucks compared to shaking hands with a nebraska farmer over a rusty old pickup...both will get the job done but one shore is a whole lot sweeter.

Look....

...It's me...

...all over the screeen...

I'm a Sooper Star!

Craftsman tools

They have gone from top quality to lower then a gophers basement. Especialy since there are so many other companys wanting the gearheads business. I have been more and more buying Kobalt tools and ones from Autozone.This is Adeline born 1/11/2011... She is just number 1

Attachments

• our puppys 007.jpg
    our puppys 007.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 4
I still have most of the SK tools I bought back in the early 60's. Still in use and have almost never broken anything. Don't make tools like they used to. I've been hearing good things about the *new model* Pittsburg tools at HF. They sure look nice, haven't tried any yet. I've noticed lately that everyone (cheap tool companies) is starting to copy the *Snap On* design tool...

Being in the truck industry for the last 35 years I have a little bit of everything. Snap on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman. I don't have a problem with Sears exchanging or rebuilding a ratchet. The tool trucks do it also. The problem I have with it is I took a 3/8 long ratchet back to sears and I would have rather they rebuilt the one I had. They tried to pawn off one of their "rebuilts" that looked like someone had used it to load test a battery. I said NO WAY was I going to accept that for the one I had. I made them dig thru and find a decent one. They didn't like it and I told them I didn't have a problem with a rebuilt but give me one that was not beat all to hell. Tool quality is not what it used to be. I had a Snap on 3/8 flex head that had been rebuilt, replace with rebuilt and then replace with new and rebuilt again. I have not used for about 7 or 8 years cause it is a piece of ****. I have almost sent it to the field across the road several times but I just can't seem to picture a $100 ratchet sailing across the lot. Kobalt seems to be the up and coming brand. I do not have any but several people in the shop have them and really like them. I bought a set of standard and metric craftsman ratchet wrenches. I do like them but the area around the ratchet end is thick and does not fit in tight areas. I do not think they would take much abuse either. Have a Mac 3/4 drive ratchet set that was made in the early 60's. Socket are thin but you can use a breaker bar or T handle with a 4 ft cheater and really lean on it and have not broke a socket but they will not take impact use, But they were not made for an impact either.

I bought some really cheap impact sockets from JC Whitney 20 years ago..you can't break them...impact guns, breaker bars or hammers....best set I ever bought.

For awhile I worked at danaher tools in Springdale ar. they made craftsman. it was the very low end tool they made. I prefer napa. went to a pawn shop and bought a broken napa ratchet. took it to napa and they gave me a new one. only thing they asked was if it said napa on it.

Craftsman axes now farmed to Mexico- w/o warranty

I have a decades old axe head with Made In USA - Guaranteed Forever engraved/stamped in it. BUT new Craftsman axes have a sticker - that's right, a dang sticker - on the head of the axe. It reads that it's made in Mexico and when I ask the sales people they say that "Yeah it's guaranteed, see the sticker" which I point out that the first time going into a tree it would rub off!!!!!

There's no other markings - It might as well be a japchina one at walmart or biglots

Latest posts

Back