Top Secret engine build for an RRR member. SSHHH!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
here is a little 454 I am building for another RRR member. It is a 4 bolt member, .030" overbore, forged LS6 pistons, Lunati cam .550/.550 cam, short single plane intake. Should be a fun runner! here is the block still with the protective grease all over it as it came out of storage. I will let the new owner chime in if he wants. Enjoy![cl
025.jpg

028.jpg

026.jpg

I have an engine very close to this build but, with 60 over and a full roller cam. It dynos at 640.......ruggs

Guys..........how did you know what I wanted for my Birthday?????? This is the very best forum ever!! [cl I never dreamed you guys would chip in and buy me something like this in a million years. :)

Hope I didn't ruin the surprise. :D

Don

Guys..........how did you know what I wanted for my Birthday?????? This is the very best forum ever!! [cl I never dreamed you guys would chip in and buy me something like this in a million years. :)

Hope I didn't ruin the surprise. :D

Don

Don,
We never thought you would go for something as mundane as a BBC. Figured you would have a BBO or a nail head style...:D

well progress was a little slow this week end. I hope to get back to it this week as the Daytona has gone back to the happy owner. Crank is in, heads are cleaned, seats all cut, and all the valves cut. I did find one intake valve that I didn't like the look of when I was doing the valve job. Ordered a new one and it came in friday. Now I SHOULD have everything to put it together! :D

Nice! Are those long inner main studs for a windage tray?

Yes sir! Nice eye Gas. this will have a windage tray, has ARP rod, head, and main bolts as well. Heads are just passenger car oval ports. I would have rather a set of square ports but these should make a massive amount of torque. Should make the 40 ford move out well... :eek: OOPS! I might be letting the cat out of the bag!

Actually the ovals ports are your best bet for a strong street runner. Square ports are nice but unless you are going for all out upper rpm power the ovals work better. Even the peanut ports can be cleaned up in the runners and will make decent (not the best) power for a good street engine. I would not run peanut ports unless that is what I had and could not afford anything else. I run aluminum oval ports on my BBC and they perform well.

Just wondering if you had the line bore checked on that block after you installed those main studs? The studs will knock that bore way off, when it was originally set up for bolts. It does make sense that it does that, but it does.

it was line bored as it sits here with the studs. I am always careful of thing like that. The short block is all together. 1 head is done. the other heads needs 1 guide. It is .001 over max spec. all others are in.

here it is in some new color and some shieny stuff going on. One head is done and torqued on. The other is going to the machine shop tomorrow to fix the valve guide that I dont like.

Attachments

• 454 4.jpg
    454 4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 454 3.jpg
    454 3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 454 2.jpg
    454 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 454 1.jpg
    454 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
Looking good John! It just so happens I was routing around the 40 earlier today (sorry guys...its my birthday present...sort of)

Latest posts

Back