MACKAZs 22 Buick model 45 Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics this time around. Last nights mission was steering column and pedalbox. We squared the cowl up on the chassis and clamped it in place. Did quite a bit of brainstorming, oohing, aahing, disassembly, reassembly, swap this round etc, it appears with a small amount of modification to the column/pedalbox it is going to fit under the cowl nicely, the original tilt still works, and, this is the best part, steering and pedals are 100% OEM unmodified Mitsubishi componentry. The certifier will be impressed....

Still chugging away. Been a whole lot of things pushing this to the backburner last few weeks, but I think Ive got the majority out of the way. We have mounted the steering column, pedalbox and brake booster( we had to cut away the firewall to get it through of course) and are in process of making a tube "mount" to support the bottom of the column. Mounting the booster up there isnt the traditional way but this build is all about simplicity and using OEM parts. Umm what else, yeah, removed the old centre hanger mount. Brothers racecar is taking up a lot of Dads time so yeah, I only do what I can do myself. Im going to do some more grinding on the bodybase tomorrow night (with any luck) so I will keep ya posted

Done a bit more on the bodybase the Tuesday night, getting prepped to start putting the uprights (body skeleton) on. But...... the damn things all warped out of shape. No biggie, clamp it back down and heat it up with the gas. Have figured on making like a false gas tank thingee to cover the front crossmember, sorta cover it up, maybe.... Just been hunting google but cant find sample pic, I think it should distract the eye from that horrid crossmember, also looking thru the scrapyard for a "shorter" sway bar and radius rods, if not maybe get them turned and rethreaded. Really keen to shorten up the front, or hide it. Sucks balls, a$$, any thing inserted in there js applicable. Any ideas to discussion thread appreciated....No not putting a cross sprung front end in it....

You can live without the stabilizer bar. Can you remove the front cross member completely or would that cause problems with the radius rods? Maybe remove the ugly crossmember and replace it with a round tube - a little better at least. Or cover it up speedster style:
attachment.php
Delage-2LCV_8.jpg
Talbot-90-Brooklands-Tourer_7.jpg

That #19 might work best for yours. Just put a flat sheet all the way to the radiator and roll it in the front.

No I havent disappeared. Wifey has had me renovating the outside of our house, and I've been doing a cosmetic rebuild on the old mans DR250 dirtbike. But who the flock puts flocking stainless steel studs into an aluminium engine that is used on the beach. 4 days work to remove 3 broken studs!!! Big ups to my mate Sambo...
Unsure but think Dad may have pottered around with the Buick. Brothers racecar is nearly done....

Yeah. Chomping at the bit actually, getting real keen. But as the saying goes, happy wife happy life...... But I am soo over house maintenance. Oh the sweet taste of bourbon on a friday evening. (currently 1820hrs here)

Holy update batman, well, not really. Been around to the shed today for first time in ages. Had a bit of a look at current handywork which needs a little fixing up. Prior to Dad leaving his work for the year he acquired another few bits, a rusty chrome centred woodgrain steeringwheel and a couple more Mack truck badges. Im away on holiday in 10 days and frantically getting my trailer roadworthy (just been built from scratch) and bought another car to make some money off (a pusbarge Nissan Bluebird) so thats gonna provide a few more funds

Back into this thing again. Steering column has the tube mount welded to the firewall. Bodybase is finished, after heaps more slivers cut out, hammered to shape, welded, repeat process, now the bodybase pretty well much follows the frame to within 2mm, thinking a rubber isolator between the chassis and body, thats later on. Re centred the engine and box, right hand engine mount is fabricated, and is welded to the chassis, left hand is cut out ready to be welded together. Once the engine ounts are done fabrication of a K member will be the next mission.

This i know. Camera is currently away with the better half!!
Well fabrication of the left hand engine mount wasnt as easy as the other side! This one had to have a twist made into it to clear the idler arm, and when you put the twist in it stuffs up all the other measurements, dont it??! Anyway thats all I got done tonight, but the engine is now sitting in there without the aid of blocks and rope. A step forward. Now its rustle up some steel to make these 2 K members, one forward, one back, These will also support the floor, which Dad got out of the scrappile today for $9.50 2 mint sheets of 2.5mm panelsheet from a electrical cabinet.

Cowl now joined to the bodybase. Dash is cut in half and bolted in place through the windscreen posts, ready for a new filler panel to be made. Dads got electricity and lighting being done at the moment, which, much to his disgust, isnt finished. He has to come back cos he hasnt been paid for work done so far...

Fun ride

Very interesting build. Isn't it great how the guys at this site always come up with a way to get the project on the road even though there are a great deal of hurdles. Those of us in the states seem to have it easier than our brothers around the world when it comes to car modifications. Congratulations on your determination and skills. Keep on with the pictures so we can see it driving along. Steve

Currently spewing. I took some photos to post on this update on my cell, but I cant get the stupid thing to synch with my new (to me) PC. Dammit!! Anyway 75x50mm k-members are welded in, top and sides, a few more gussets to be put in place when the chassis gets bowled over later on in the build. Gearbox is also permanently mounted to its freshly built crossmember. So thats a milestone achieved there. Went and saw the good guys at Henwoods Hot Rod Shop and showed them the pics I took. Dave and Tony were more than impressed, going so far as to say that we have over engineered everything to do with the underside. We were concerned regarding the steering shaft angles but they said nothing to worry about judging by the pictures. Now that has been confirmed as being good, work to start up under the cowl reinforcing the steering column and pedalbox.
NEXT TIME IM GONNA TAKE THE BLIMMIN CAMERA!!!!

Took my daughters ipod around. Heres a few snaps.....In order the fabricated K members, steering shaft incorporating the all important deflection angles in case of frontal collision (required by law to get this thing on the road in New Zealand) right side engine mount, left side engine mount, Sadly no real change!!!!! and the dash panel ready to be filled in....

Attachments

• hotrod 001.jpg
    hotrod 001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 72
  • hotrod 010.jpg
    hotrod 010.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 72
  • hotrod 002.jpg
    hotrod 002.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69
  • hotrod 003.jpg
    hotrod 003.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 71
  • hotrod 007.jpg
    hotrod 007.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 67
  • hotrod 008.jpg
    hotrod 008.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 67
  • hotrod 005.jpg
    hotrod 005.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 78
  • hotrod 009.jpg
    hotrod 009.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 67
Great pics Mackaz, Perhaps the blokes from the us don't understand the steering setup and don't want to ask what might be seen to be dumb questions.

It's quite obvious from your pics that a full head on collision will not spear the steering column into the driver. :)

Latest posts

Back