HD trike

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On this trike,the simpler the bigger the statement.
I'm with you on pin striping.

Agreed!

Sure. All I need is your shop full of tools, your hands and your head in place of mine. :p

You have plenty of hammers, or I can lend you my 2 pound slapper!

attachment.php

hmm... we might be able to make a deal on the head... pretty sure you draw short... lol... :D I`ll ask my shrink what can be done [P

2 pound... I have one and I use it a lot! Not sure it would be my tool to make that bead. That is one restriction I really dont like on most (mine included) bead rollers. No way to use it on a curved panel like these fenders.
I may need to hack mine in the future :rolleyes:

Beautiful work Dutch !!!!! Looking forward to the finished product...

[cl[cl[cl

[P[P[P

me too!! I suck at long projects like this.... There`s a truck staring at me every time I enter the shop. I try to look the other way , but that`s where the trike resides.... :eek:

thanks for your support guys.

thanks. Not so sure about that Bob... :eek:

So, finally the owner gave in and told me "do yer thing on the front fender"
( but he still didnt see anything wrong there... )

To me it stood out like a sore thumb, so I attacked it before he could change his mind.

I stretched the edges and beat it back into submission. Since the owner had already been cutting and grinding at the front of the fender, I had to tilt it a lot forward. I cut off the mounting lip and moved it toward the rear more than 2" and dropped it 1.2".

whole lotta difference imo... :)

Attachments

• IMGP4039.jpg
    IMGP4039.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP4044.jpg
    IMGP4044.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP4041.jpg
    IMGP4041.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMGP3981.jpg
    IMGP3981.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 54
thanks.
finished the buck / model for the fuel tank today.

Attachments

• IMGP4048.jpg
    IMGP4048.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMGP4076.jpg
    IMGP4076.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP4071.jpg
    IMGP4071.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP4064.jpg
    IMGP4064.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 35
The trike will be out of here by the end of December, so time to step on it...sorta...

Built the gas tank in 16 gauge steel. Picked up silent blocks for it today so I can start on the mounts.

The filler panels ,connecting tank and rear body, ate a bunch of time. I made a couple wire bucks first. I use 4mm gas welding wire for that. I made the panels in 2 parts. The reverse curve is so tight and narrow... I have a thing or two to tell the designer... [S Fine tune fit to the tank when it is mounted and make a recess in the rear body so they lay flush with the surface.

The owner purchased 4" round trailer taillights to french into the fenders, but I came up with these instead. Still figuring out the best way to fit the lamp units with hidden bolts, but they will house 3 led strips under red glass.

Now it`s time to make some noise... I used an old engine stand and some 2x4`s to mount the fenders. That made life a whole lot easier when straightening the panels with hammer&dolly and shrinkingdisc. Metal finish is goal... :)

Attachments

• IMGP5160.jpg
    IMGP5160.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMGP5166.jpg
    IMGP5166.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP4923.jpg
    IMGP4923.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP4694.jpg
    IMGP4694.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGP5495.jpg
    IMGP5495.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGP5577.jpg
    IMGP5577.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP5583.jpg
    IMGP5583.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP5499.jpg
    IMGP5499.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 30
Your build should have been a TV series.[cl

WOW! WOW! Good stuff there dutch, have to agree with bobw

well, I`m not so good at long term projects, they tend to take forever to get finished...you`d be asleep within the hour... :rolleyes:

What is your history Dutch. Where did you learn your skills?

I`m a farrier by trade. Thats all I was ever taught. That was some time ago :rolleyes: and I`ve been beating steel into submission ever since. Started panel beating 5-6 yrs ago when my body shut down on blacksmithing and construction. I just love swinging hammers [S

He sold his soul to the devil. [ddd

...on a daily basis,Doc... :D

Thanks all for your support. I really appreciate it :)

got 1 fender nice and straight, taillight buckets done, and finally finished the trunk gutter. Tomorrow 1 round with the bfh to make the body line up a bit better with the trunk lid in a few spots. Then it`s time to fab something for the latch to grab on to... no way to look inside the trunk and I don`t fit in there :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP5784.jpg
    IMGP5784.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP5783.jpg
    IMGP5783.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP5780.jpg
    IMGP5780.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP5772.jpg
    IMGP5772.jpg