No other like it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mirrors came with these little brackets that I wasn't using, so I drilled one out for a brake light switch bracket.

So I finally got the brake light switch in and wired today.
Yesterday, I finished wiring the headlights, and got them all assembled and working, except the outer lenses.

I took the turn signal switch apart to see if I could figure out the wires.

It's gonna work fine, except the left front signal won't work, and evidently they don't make these switches anymore. At least the rears, and brake light integration works the way it should. The hazards require a separate flasher, so I don't know if or when I'll hook that up.

I still didn't get to the tail lights, but I did cut all the gaskets for the lenses. The rears fit like they were meant to be.

I cleaned up a few other wires and did some odds and ends, but nothing much.

I finished my mortar cannons.

I had some landscape lights just waiting for something to be done with them. I've had them about five years, and finally it occurred to me to use the reflectors out of them. They're a perfect fit.
It makes a big difference. (As if we didn't already know that.)

I drained the coolant, and changed out the polycarbonate for glass tube. It looks better, and I think it'll last forever, but we'll see.
Since I had the block drained, I put the temp gauge sender in the head. I also drilled and tapped the exhaust for a thermocouple to run the EGT gauge. Finally, gauges will be going in soon.

Aside from all that, I haven't finished all of the wiring yet, and I've used over 300 feet of wire. I've only wasted seven little tiny pieces, when I had to change connectors. Essentially, I've wasted none, and have used over 300 feet, and I'm not done. I still can't get over that.

I just remembered, I took the generator to the shop, and had it rebuilt. It puts out about 40 amps, and while I've got the engine running at idle, with the headlights on and fans on, the battery comes down to 12.5 volts. When the fans shut off, it jumps back up over 13. For engine idle, that seems pretty good. With everything off, and the engine revved up a bit, it goes to about 14.6 volts. I can't decide if that's good or not.

I've driven around the neighborhood a couple times, and yes, people look. :eek:

If you drove it in my neighborhood, I'd force you to stop so I could go over every inch of your creative and unique truck.[cl

Last edited:
Mannnnnnnn I really like how your tail lights came out!!!

Excellent work!

Last edited:
14.6-14.7 V at cruise speed with almost no load is normal and in a good range. As long as it is under 15V no load and over 12V fully loaded then you are in good shape. Lights look good too. You going to tow the mortars around with you too? Lol [P

Those taillights do look good.

You might still be able to get the turn switch cam, but without the flasher part.
I was looking into that, and got this thing: http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-19963-49301.aspx?origin=keyword

I spent hours last night, carving it to fit. It's done, and it works. Of course now when I looked up that link, I found this: http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-3329-49305.aspx?origin=keyword

...which I think is a direct fit. :rolleyes:

I finally ran the power wire to the park light switch, and then to a power distribution block under the dash. All of the gauge lights and things will be easier to run that way. I also did the same thing with a ground wire, so I have a dedicated ground under the dash.

Since I was running the tail light wire, I had to run a license plate wire. That meant that I had to decide where to put the plate, and how to put the light so that it doesn't look ridiculous with a white light shining on something in the back. So, I made a plate bracket, and while some may think that was way too much thinking for a stinking bracket, well... There are a ton of places back there to put a plate, but only one right place.

Stay tuned for boring pictures of my license plate, in a very common looking bracket, in the usual placement.

Only three weekends left! https://www.facebook.com/MaricopaWingsAndWheels?fref=photo

Shouldn't be anybody saying they can't see your rear lights! They show up great. I'm not trying to start no stuff but do you have any problems with the law in not running a bumper in AZ? Seems around here we might get away fenderless but no bumpers will get you pulled...

And you thought they might not be bright enough.

The rear bumper and lack of fenders aren't illegal. There probably are a few other things that would violate some code. I looked it up and to make sure the F2 was all legal.

My niece is a city cop and my nephew is a state cop. They didn't know and hadn't been trained in things like headlight height, second method of applying brakes, horn, and all the other stuff. We don't have a state inspection.

They both said they wouldn't stop anyone in a old car just to check it. Not even for noise. Display of speed -they'll nail anyone. Can of beer - you're probably in cuffs. The city cop says she runs 100's of plates every day looking for expired plates or a plates that don't match the vehicle. If you have the correct plate and act OK, they aren't going to bother you. (Commercial plates are a different story, right Earthman?)

On the other hand, I'm told that if you punch a potent big block with exhaust loud enough that you can hear for 2 miles, half a block from the cop house, they will search you out.

Latest posts

Back