Emergency tool kit

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

What is the minimum #of tools you carry when you travel ?

I would believe Jumper cables are just a given along with a flashlight.

I got1 of those craftsman cloth tool bags I carry in the trunk of the chevelle. Screw drivers, std wrenches, 1 adjustable, pliers, rachet, 2 extentions, and a few std sockets.I even have a holley rebuild kit for the regulator.

I used to carry a small chest... if it was a long trip. (Saved my skin a time or two. :D)

attachment.php

... these days, not much. If I take a long trip, it's in a modern turd and I'm lucky to fix that junk at home, much less on the side of the road.

That said, if I ever put another boat in the water, finish my '38 project, or return to the track, the chest will ride again!

Attachments

• IMG_0722 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0722 - Copy.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 44
I think 3/8 to 3/4" would cover just about any size nut that would be involved in a roadside repair. I have a dog bone wrench in every car.

an adjustable wrench & pliers

Flat & Philips screw drivers

some 12 ga. wire

Duct tape, can of fix a flat.

spare fuses

That & a $20. bill & book of matches are in my road bag.

I always have a knife on me so that's a given.

If you have P/windows,its a good idea to have a hammer under the seat--in case you run off the road and go underwater--you can break the glass.

If you have P/windows,its a good idea to have a hammer under the seat--in case you run off the road and go underwater--you can break the glass.

That happens on a regular basis around here. Three rivers, chain of lakes, retention ponds everywhere and lots of flooded old sand pits and Stone quarries here.

I keep one of those self defense steel pens in the car. It has a glass breaker tip on the end. That, and I seem to break cheap pens :rolleyes:

For me it depends on the car. In the one I built (the rpu) I carry nothing. My service/towing truck is loaded with tools
In the picker van just a small bag with electrical tape, screwdriver with bits, vice grip, adjustable wrench and folding allen wrench.

Hey Dr. C......gotta ask.............what are the grey things on the shelves[S
my old eyes and mind aren't helping me any.....

I was thinking the same thing

The grey things are pitch blocks. (I repaired boat propellers for a couple years.) The blocks are "anvils" that match the original profile and pitch for a given prop. Every manufacturer has their own design and shape, which makes for a collection of blocks... anyhow, beat, weld, grind... beat, weld, grind... weld, beat and grind 'til it fits the block form... check balance and polish if it's stainless, prime and paint if it's aluminum.

I can't say I miss that nonsense.

Latest posts

Back