New Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is like that now. Ratrods came about with people building and working with what they had. I seen a 40 chev coupe on ebay that was a really rough piece, $3400 with GREAT rat rod project at the top. T10 trans, $850, and it goes on and on. You've really got to be creative to build something now and finish it before you go bankrupt.

Now even building a "Rat Rod" isn't cheap. Unless you want it to be a piece of S***. :eek: :D
Torchie

I've been working on front fenders. They are the worst thing on the car. Haven't took any pics, not much to show. I need to be doing eng work and get it buttoned up so when I do start on the chassis, I can use it for mock up.

We accept pictures of parts and pieces.

Just curious. Does your handle refer to the traction compound?

870SP162.jpg

Yes it does. Several yrs ago I was registering on Racingjunk and I tried everything and it was already taken, punched in vht and it was good. Kinda stuck with it, my name is Mike. I'll get some pics of some stuff and post it up.

Sorry I haven't updated, been busy on other junk. Trying to finish up the frtfenders and get them in primer. Going to get the front end stuff done and start on the chassis. There will be pics shortly. I found a pair of nice 68 camaro mono rear leaf springs, ended up buying a nice griffen cross flow radiator for $25. I ordered rear spring sliders from Speedway, going to build my own cal trac bars, I have the DOM tubing, steel plate, and R+L CM 3/4 heim joints. Run onto a deal on a switch panel and ordered alum bushing kit for the front of the springs. Going to have to narrow my IFS cross member, it's 60 in. and I need around 57. It's got a T bird rack, P/S, so I'm going with a manual. Now if I can get moving and get the chassis done, I can mount the body. I'm thinking tilt front end, I'd like it to slide forward and then tilt. I'll bolt the front end together. That's it for now, need more time and more money.

Bought 2, 15x10, Fenton Gyro alum slots yesterday for $100. They are in nice shape except for the 5 holes, 1/8 in, around them for screws. Now I need 2, 15x4's for the front. Might go with the Summit Racing's Ultra Pulsar. I'll get a pic of them. Also, can the moderator move this to builds? My fault, screwed up when I put it in the wrong place.

I'll take those Fentons if you can't stand the holes. :D

Yeah, we need pictures of the wheels, the car, etc., etc...

I'd think the quickest way to move this thread would be e-mail. (I doubt our illustrious leader(s) read every post!) [email protected]

Got to work on the car, narrowed the front cross member 3 inches, 57in track width now, and got the manual rack on with the brackets tack welded. Going to get the mono leaf springs on the rear end and hold off on welding the spring perches so I can set my pinion angle. Going to fab my own cal trac set up, I have the dom tubing, CM 3/4 rod ends,and a set of alum bushings for the front of the spring. Going with a slider deal on the rear. Can't wait to start on my chassis. Here's a couple of pics, included 1 of the 15x10 wheels I bought for a $100.

Attachments

• 20160604_170546.jpg
    20160604_170546.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160604_124634.jpg
    20160604_124634.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 44
Got to work on the car, narrowed the front cross member 3 inches, 57in track width now, and got the manual rack on with the brackets tack welded. Going to get the mono leaf springs on the rear end and hold off on welding the spring perches so I can set my pinion angle. Going to fab my own cal trac set up, I have the dom tubing, CM 3/4 rod ends,and a set of alum bushings for the front of the spring. Going with a slider deal on the rear. Can't wait to start on my chassis. Here's a couple of pics, included 1 of the 15x10 wheels I bought for a $100.
Now you will have to take 3 inches out of the middle of your engine so it will fit in those motor mounts. :eek: :D

Nice wheels. Using the same ones on my slowly progressing 39.

Sub frame came out of a 48 ford truck project, had a 460 bolted in it. I am going to cut the mounts out and use them. I have 25 inches between the frame rails now. Put the wheels on the rear end, measuring I think with a 275/60/15 it'll work out nice. Hope so anyway.

Forgot to mention, I've been looking for chrome for this car, I have what goes around the windows and the stainless that goes up the sides of the hood. I found the chrome strip for the center of the hood, it's on it's way, but the best deal was the hood emblem. A guy on ebay, smiling jimmy, sold me a the ornament for $49 including shipping, pulled it out of the box and it was damn near perfect. Looks like I'll be welding up alot of holes on the rest of it.

My manual rack was a little short, on had about a 1/2 in of threads in each tie rod end. 79 Fairmont tie rod ends was suggested, worked perfect. Got my rear spring plates made, shortened my U bolts, they were extra long, my fault, but I guess that was better than to short. Went to put my alum bushings in the front of the leaf springs, they are for the rear of the spring. That sucked, done have my new slider kit for the rear from Speedway. Got the front susp done, so now I'm ready to start on the frame, finally. Got to find alum front bushings somewhere. Going to try and see if I can get someone to make them, I can fab my cal trac set up then. When I get started on the frame, I'll have pics.

Finally got started on the chassis after building my poor man frame jig. I'll have pics soon as I get a little farther along.

Change of plans, traded a friend for some stuff. These will be going on the back. Also a narrowed rear end, 4 link and Afco adjustable shocks. Picking everything up tomorrow. It's sure good to have friends like this, I couldn't of afforded this.

The slots will be for sale, 15x10 fenton gyros, 4.5 BS.

Attachments

• 20160703_162632.jpg
    20160703_162632.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160604_170546.jpg
    20160604_170546.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 21
Pics, need to change the gears, 4.88's.

Attachments

• 20160704_142101.jpg
    20160704_142101.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160703_162632.jpg
    20160703_162632.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160703_145425.jpg
    20160703_145425.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 20
1962 Olds rearend, aftermarket axles, 31 spline, 48 in total width, QA1 adjustable coil overs, Speedway 4 link with 3/4 ends. Hadn't seen one of these for a long time.

Decided to narrow a explorer 8.8. Got one with a pos unit and 3.73's. Sold the Olds 3rd member for $400. This way I'll have disc brakes, plus parts sure are cheaper.

Latest posts

Back