Attn. Tire Scientist and/or smart guys

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

My 1959 Super 88 weight is 4090#.

The inter webs tell me the radial replacement should be P235/75R 14 with Maximum Load Capacity: 1930 pounds at 35 PSI

I believe an acceptable alternate would be P225/75R 14 Max Load Capacity: 1797@35PSI

The car is driven @ highway speeds.

Additional Human & luggage weight max 400#

QUESTIONS:

Do I really need the higher load capacity?

Will there be any significant difference in ride?

Gas Millage?

I appreciate the help/advice as there is about a $300 price difference.

I'm neither a tire scientist or smart guy, but I'm pretty sure your not going to notice a difference unless you plan to drive at the limits - probably not even then. Your speedometer will be about 1mph off.

I meant "limits" of the cars ability not to roll over and "limits" of the driver not to lose control of it. In other words, driving it like you stole it. ;)

Small tires on a big car like the 88, has the look of a fat woman with skinny legs [ddd

Very true!

In this case, the "smaller tires" are 1/2" smaller ;)

Can you even find 14" tire anymore?

It wasn't easy.

I only found two 14" Wide Whites radials in my size: one by BFG that I understand is out sourced in Asia(?) the other is American Classic Tire made in PA.

Had a thought about this set of tires. Odds are very high, I'll never buy a 2nd set for this car. It could take me 10-15 years to put 40K on this set.

I've only owned one car over 6 years, since 1975.

not in the wide whites…….

I am and I am not a fan. Some cars like my 88 they are the only choice. :cool:

Other cars they might look stupid on. I don't think Wide Whites would look correct on these:

Of course one man's Brilliance is another man's Stupid. ;)

Latest posts

Back