Hey Guys need a little help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougnDog

Tried to start my truck today. 92 454 was running engine when I put it in my truck. don't mess with it as it ran great. but put intake gear drive heaters etc..
started up timed it run good. BUT.....no oil pressure
the engine had lines from the filter to a cooler, I used the lines to hook up to a aftermarket cooler. other than that that its stock.
I can't figure it out, its been 3 years building this truck and I'm stumped.

any ideas...... any help out there?

A big thank you ahead of time

Attachments

• P4020506.JPG
    P4020506.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 37
  • P4020507.JPG
    P4020507.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 39
Are we positive the Oil Pressure gauge works?
Are we sure we have a good sending unit if Electrical?
Are we sure the connections are solid, if electrical gauge?

Not trying too be a wise guy but sometime the simplest things cause the biggest headaches.

May be worthwhile to pull distributor and prime pump with a drill motor. Someone may be able to walk you through this better than I can. I haven't done this on a chevy motor and I only did it on a ford motor 30 years ago.

Changed the intake? You didn't drop the oil pump drive shaft down in the pan when you pulled the dizzy out did you? It happens.....

All good ideas.......My next move is pull the Dis check the shaft. and try and pump it with a drill.
It shouldn't matter which oil line is hooked to the cooler it's only out and return.YES?

Does the Distributor have a movable lock ring on it? IE: where it hits the intake as in adjustable for height? I had one where the ring was about 3/8" too far down and it wasn't spinning the pump shaft.

All good ideas.......My next move is pull the Dis check the shaft. and try and pump it with a drill.
It shouldn't matter which oil line is hooked to the cooler it's only out and return.YES?

The oil cooler may have an inlet side and outlet side.

When you put the drill on the pump it should show oil pressure on the gauge.

jFg455 Yes it does that's the first thing ill check.......Thanks

Reason I say that is I did the exact same thing on a 383 I built. I just dropped it in out of the box (Mallory) and it was too high. Zero oil pressure...I was pulling my hair out until I found it.

Thanks Man I set the dept or what i thought it was. but the drive on the Dist is a real tight fit, not like a stock one that easily goes in. Got it now and got lots of pressure. thank you for all the suggestions.........;)

Hey Bob
Sweetpeas is doing good. getting old like us all.
My Daughters cancer has come back in her liver and bones. she is doing chemo trying to stop it. She and my grandson are moving in with me so we can take care of each other. between my health and hers its been slow going on my truck. its running man does that 454 push that light truck. I get the windshield installed Ill be on the road.
How are you doing? been following your buying and selling on RRR looks like you have enough projects to last a while. My best to you.

Latest posts

Back