Seats

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyD

I found a killer set of low back buckets that I wanted to use in my 36 only to measure and find out that they are too wide to fit. That got me looking at my options for seats and I found these boat seats that look alright and are within my budget and more importantly are the right size. They have a bunch of color options although most are ugly as you would expect boat seats to be...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tempress-NaviStyle-High-Back-Boat-Seat-Gray-54853-Marine-Hi-Back-/291526784893?hash=item43e059b77d:g:7SsAAOSw5dNWnTrQ&vxp=mtr I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used anything like these? Any thoughts on using them in a truck?

s-l1600.jpg

I agree with bruno. Nice looking seats and it wouldn't be the first time a boat part made it onto a car or truck.
The biggest downfall to boat seats is that they are mostly not designed to be adjustable as a seat of that style would mount on a pedestal and they do not have as much springs/padding as a car seat.
The upside is that if your cab leaks at least the seats are waterproof.[ddd
Torchie

Torchie touched on the drawbacks. Anything can be modified some but the bottoms of most boats seats are plastic so welding is out unless you do some real intense upgrades. Are you set on buckets? If not, some of the 2nd and 3rd row seats for lots on vans and suvs fit real well as a bench seat in small cabs.

Torchie touched on the drawbacks. Anything can be modified some but the bottoms of most boats seats are plastic so welding is out unless you do some real intense upgrades. Are you set on buckets? If not, some of the 2nd and 3rd row seats for lots on vans and suvs fit real well as a bench seat in small cabs.

As do the early S-10 and Ranger truck seats. Plus they have adjustable tracks. My problem is (well one of my problems) is that I prefer a bench seat over buckets.
Torchie

I looked for two years for seats that would fit in with 27 Chevy.
I ended up walking around with a tape measure in my pocket every where I went.
Finally I got boat seats from WalMart for 35 bucks each.
They had metal tracks on the bottom.
And were actually comfortable
Looked okay too

I have those same seats in my boat, they are very comfortable. It would be a little tricky to make an adjustable mount for them but doable.

I have those same seats in my boat, they are very comfortable. It would be a little tricky to make an adjustable mount for them but doable.

since i was the only driver
i didnt adjustability
put it where ya need it
an bolt er on:)

Thanks guys. If I get these, they'll be for my 36 Ford pickup so they probably won't need to be adjustable. I'm pretty sure that I could sort something out if I did want to put sliders on them though. Probably just a plate that bolts to the mounting points of the seat and is wide enough to bolt to a slider... Not sure yet what I will end up with though.

Do the hinges on the backrests seem like they are strong enough to be safe in a car? My only real concern about the seats is safety.

Thanks guys. If I get these, they'll be for my 36 Ford pickup so they probably won't need to be adjustable. I'm pretty sure that I could sort something out if I did want to put sliders on them though. Probably just a plate that bolts to the mounting points of the seat and is wide enough to bolt to a slider... Not sure yet what I will end up with though.

Do the hinges on the backrests seem like they are strong enough to be safe in a car? My only real concern about the seats is safety.

My main concern with seats like these is the fact that the seat back may not lock in the upright position. Some do, but many just fold forward without a catch to release. That would bother me. I'm also looking for seats. Mine recline but won't fold forward to access the rear seat.

Kenny,

I've looked at those before too. Have you ever seen them in person or used them? They are cheep enough that I sort of wonder how good they actually are...

Latest posts

Back