Where do you mount your batteries? Need ideas...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrata

On my 33 Chevy, I'm trying to decide where to mount a fuel tank and where to mount my 2 batteries (donor was a F350 with 2 batteries).
My floor is very thin (4" frame on the ground + 2 inches under the floor skin)

The 2 ideas I'm bouncing around are shelf behind rear seat, or build an enclosure that looks like a tank cylinder and mount next to the engine outside.

I would like some other ideas in case there's another good option.
Where have you guys mounted yours?

Car? Truck? Coupe? Sedan? How much room behind the seat? 70's Corvettes had them mounted behind the passenger seat. Bad thing was if you needed to jump one off you had to fold the seat down to get to them.

I don't think they'll be room on the firewall or frame up front on a 33 to mount them. Lots of vehicles mount the battery under the floor, with an access door on top, still would need to be able to move the seat easily to get to it.

A local guy has a small beer keg in front of the radiator on his Model A that he cut on one side and it slides over his battery.

A friend had his battery behind the passenger's seat, was working on his truck in the garage and the battery shorted out internally and burnt the entire interior out of the truck. He was lucky to save it from being a total loss but did repaint the cab and rest of the truck and redo the interior and wiring.

I'd much rather have mine out in the open even if it looks ugly. Just my thoughts. On my 46 it's on the firewall.

I don't like to put the battery in the engine compartment! I either put in in the trunk or in or under the bed! But that's just my preference! :D

iSore

idea

in my 48 dodge truck l mounted the battery in the bed then cut out the bottom of a 196O,s boat gas can and hid it under there so it looks like a old boat tank in the back, hides it well.

the 3Oish sedan has a dry cell mounted all the way in the back by the rear window on the passenger side.

jumper plugs are great idea-if you put he battery where it is a hard to access area install a set of these. they are a lifesaver, ran them on all my race cars.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• jump plugs.jpg
    jump plugs.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 9
  • jump plugs.jpg1.jpg
    jump plugs.jpg1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 8
Its a 4 door sedan, low-slung. I have a space behind the rear seats in front of the rear-mounted radiator. Im also thinking keg tank next to the engine in front.

Maybe a fuel cell inside the back deck for fuel and then a keg with a door for the batteries up front to the side of the engine? I think building a battery enclosure is probably easier than building a fuel tank...
[S

Attachments

• 20190916_011155.jpg
    20190916_011155.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190719_084704.jpg
    20190719_084704.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 26
My last two have been in the bed, but when placing them in hard to get to spots I use forklift battery connectors with one end on the battery and mounted to an easy reach spot and the other on a custom set of jumper cables.

Attachments

• 51amqDAwxqL._SL1151_.jpg
    51amqDAwxqL._SL1151_.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190214_100511.jpg
    20190214_100511.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 22
  • backbed.jpg
    backbed.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 18
If I run the batteries to the back, it would be a 14' to 16' run to the front of the engine depending on the route. What gauge cable would I use? Would I run 10gauge?
I like the idea of putting a set of terminals or quick connects up front for access. I think I'll do that.

I agree with Bama and Old Iron. Welding suppliers are an excellent source for quality cable by the yard.

If I run the batteries to the back, it would be a 14' to 16' run to the front of the engine depending on the route. What gauge cable would I use?

Extra large!

'99 Ford 7.3 TD
Starter
Motor Diameter: 3.4"
Current Draw Under Normal Load: 230-630 AMPS
Normal Cranking Speed: 150-200 RPM
Minimum Stall Torque @ 2.5 Volts: 27.5 ft-lbs
Max Load: 2400 AMPS
No Load: 170 AMPS

Your diesel had two big capacity batteries originally, something like 850 CCA each... that's 1700 available amps in tip top condition...

So, you'd be wise to provide as much power as physically possible. As the specs above dictate, you can expect starter draw up to 630 amps. In cold conditions, expect that much draw and possibly more. For those reasons, the shorter your cables, the better... and likewise, the longer your cables the larger they need to be.

Also consider the length and size of your ground cables. They need to carry the same amperage as the hot cables.

Check the link below for cable specs and length restrictions...

https://www.wiringproducts.com/4-0-gauge-battery-cable

Excellent. Thank you guys.
I'm second guessing my placement in the back now. I need to minimize length.
I think I'll create an enclosure in the front by the engine and use the back for the fuel tank.

Thanks for looking up the 7.3 current draw, Doc.

Latest posts

Back