1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how'd the weekend treat you????

Not bad CC. Very busy around me as we live in a high tourist area.Thanks for asking.
Nothing pic worthy but I finished all the touch up welding and fabricating of missing tid bits on the cab.
Sealed all the weld seams. Still have to finish striping the paint off the back and PS lower cowl. Then shim up the cowl vent cover and weld it shut.(Custom. Remember).
Maybe tonight as I have to attend to some equipment repair this after noon.
Torchie.

I took advantage of a beautiful late summers evening...

....to do some sandblasting.:eek:
My intention is to sand blast the inner edges of both doors.
I have personaly always found this area a PITA to sand and get looking good prior to primer amd paint. Since the doors are off the cab I will take care of that now. The main flat area of the inner door is easy to sand.

Pic 1. My favorite tools for getting old weather stripping and adhesive off.

Pic 2 - 3. Nothing like a sand blaster.[cl

Pic 4. The bottoms of these doors are really solid. Surface rust but no holes.
I still have a hard time believing the guy that I got this cab from was going to scrap it.[S

Pic 5. First door done and put away for the night. I figure that since I am going to shoot the cab in epoxy I will also do the doors hood and front fenders at the same time. (I hate cleaning paint guns.LOL) So I have to have them all ready.

Pic 6. A bit of a teaser. This is one of the colors that I am considering for my project. Also the front bumper is the same one that I plan on using as well.
Car is customised 1941 Ford. Color is stock Ford Washington Blue. Bumper is 49 Plymouth.
Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_5163-1.jpg
    DSC_5163-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 28
I'm the same way about cleanup and wanting everything ready before praying primer.
That color is great by the way.

Got an early start this morning......

....at least for me.:eek:
Pic 1. Had just enough sand left to blast the 2nd door. Also shot the bottoms of both with rust treatment.

Pic 2-4. Got back on finishing stripping the back wall of the cab. I suspected that the DS corner had previous damage and this just confirms it. These old trucks really saw some hard use. Being that this is a F-6 and sits fairly high I am thinking it is shifting load damage or something of that nature.
When ever it happened they fixed it using lead. That's the real shiney spot in Pic 3.
This is also the reason that when I am stripping paint with a grinder I always wear a full respirator and face shield. Old paint is very toxic. Not to mention the real lead.:eek:
Looks like this whole area is going to need some serious massaging.
Talk to you later......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 16
Glad to see you making progress! You're work is looking good, I found a good bit of lead in my 40 chevy when I was working on the cowl area.. i was like why can't I weld to this crack up..lol

Glad to see you making progress! You're work is looking good, I found a good bit of lead in my 40 chevy when I was working on the cowl area.. i was like why can't I weld to this crack up..lol

All of these older vehicles have leaded seams CC. And yes you will know it when you hit it with a torch or a welder.:eek:
That large patch of lead on the DS back wall was done as a repair as there isn't one to match it on the PS. Plus no reason for it to be there otherwise.
I have had lots of current "Body" shop guys tell me that lead wasn't used to fix repairs like filler is now a days. I just shake my head.
The guys that taught me lead could spread it just like filler to take the waves out of a panels. And after it was filed it was ready for primer and paint. Who ever did this repair knew their business as it realy wasn't visible until I started to strip the paint and the lead shows no sign of deterioration.
Torchie.

I love the 49 Plymouth bumpers Torchie, wish I could find a set around here to use on my car. I found a set, but they were still attached to the car and they wouldn't let them go. Couldn't figure that one out. :rolleyes:

I love the 49 Plymouth bumpers Torchie, wish I could find a set around here to use on my car. I found a set, but they were still attached to the car and they wouldn't let them go. Couldn't figure that one out. :rolleyes:

One of the favorite traditional custom changes for the 41-48 Ford/Mercs Bama.
Sometimes I think they look a little heavy on the 41 but then I just look at the pic of that coupe.....
Mine are waiting for me to go get them as they are in a somewhat isolated place.
There is a 49 Plymouth for sale near me but I would have to buy the whole car and it looks like it has been in the weeds for years.

My other choice would be the front bumper from the 39-41 Lincoln.
But that's just plain dreaming ;)
Torchie.

Attachments

• 40-Lincoln-Continental-Cabrio-DV-09_MBC_001.jpg
    40-Lincoln-Continental-Cabrio-DV-09_MBC_001.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 18
Primer prep.

Perfect weather to shoot some epoxy primer outside.
Spent the morning cleaning up the front fenders, hood , doors and cab.
Moved it all out doors except the cab.
Quick wipe down with oil and grease cleaner and away we go.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 30
Looks like you're good to go! Don't breathe that stuff, it will make your babies be born naked. I think it says that right on the can. If I could read
I'd verify it for you.

Post some pics after the spaying party.

Looks like you're good to go! Don't breathe that stuff, it will make your babies be born naked. I think it says that right on the can. If I could read
I'd verify it for you.

Post some pics after the spaying party.

Was the part about the SPAYING party a Freudian slip POPS???????:D
So here are some after pics.
Respirators were worn by all....[cl
Little bit of clean up tomorrow, but other than that I am taking sunday off.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
One of my favorite builds but I've been so busy I'm 30 pages behind. :mad:

Keep it coming and I'll catch up... eventually.

Not to worry good Dr. 28 pages of BS and 2 of actual progress. :)

I think you deserve a day off :cool:
This should give you some inspiration on the build [cl

Just got to the point where I was tired of watching the rust trying to come back to the bare metal OI. ( Which is kind of odd given that people post tips on how to create rust on this site.) :D
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back